Match Thread: Part III of the Trilogy. Featherstone Rovers v Batley Friday-2nd-April-2021

marklaspalmas

Very much an unknown quantity the opposition for our opening league fixture. 😉

In reality, we know them as well as we know our own players.

Three games in four weeks against the same opposition will bring its own problems.

What to expect?

A few lads played on Saturday like they were trying to get out of the team, but I don't expect wholesale changes.

JD, Field, Minnsy and Choochoo are all presumably in contention.

Sherlock & Fergie we await news of their progress.

FIrst games back for Ferres and Moors hopefully went ok in terms of no knocks, etc.

Bring it on. First League game of the year.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOT the first time we'ave had GROUNDHOG  in FEV  😀😀😀😀

definiteiy bring minns in josh went on one of his walkabouts in defence again  so sit this one out josh

if sherlock back then move nu to 9 and  give connor a rest 

webster says plan to have james come of the bench and with brett and  junior needing game time same four on bench but if he decides to rest frankie and moves brett to left edge then place on bench for jd or calium

Part 3 of the trilogy should surely be Revenge Of The Feth? (with apologies to Star Wars fans).

A quick chance to put right Saturday's handling horror show.

You'd like to think we can't make 16 handling errors in the first hour again. At least I'd hope we can't. Set completion will be what Webster is repeating over and over this week.

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Part 3 of the trilogy should surely be Revenge Of The Feth?

Definitely! 

As for the game, I think it will be another close one.

Webbo will probably change the team round a bit, creating a bit of competition for places. 

10 hours ago, YoungBanno said:

Definitely! 

As for the game, I think it will be another close one.

Webbo will probably change the team round a bit, creating a bit ofc

change the team round a bit no he won't realistically only changes needed is minns for josh  and sherlock in the halves  and then choice of starting hooker   with his plan for james to come off the bench and parata's impact and the need for brett and junior getting game time   no changes there that just leaves gareth on the wing and frankie on the left edge to possibly change 

Halton has been a bit quieter over the last couple of games so we might see Ferres starting on that left edge soon, perhaps as soon as this week.

Have seen a couple of comments about Hardcastle defensively, to me he didn't do too much wrong in defence against Batley (their opening try certainly wasn't his fault). The concern is that he dropped the ball on the first carry from our line, and also gave away a fresh set of six later, he gave away three penalties against Bradford too.

He's a bit like Blackmore in that he's really good in yardage sets in terms of winning the collisons and picking up yards but it's hold-your-breath time at the play the ball, as well as dropping the kick that led to Batley's second try Blackmore had another knock on at the play the ball.

Gaz Gale was another who lost the ball in our territory against Batley but in his case you'd have to excuse it as it was the most blatant ball steal you'd ever see by their prop Everett in a 3-man tackle, Hewer had a very good game generally but he definitely missed one there.

I do hope we work on the timing of our passing from dummy half this week, four forward passes (from 3 different players) is ridiculous.

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Halton has been a bit quieter over the last couple of games so we might see Ferres starting on that left edge soon, perhaps as soon as this week.

Have seen a couple of comments about Hardcastle defensively, to me he didn't do too much wrong in defence against Batley (their opening try certainly wasn't his fault). The concern is that he dropped the ball on the first carry from our line, and also gave away a fresh set of six later, he gave away three penalties against Bradford too.

He's a bit like Blackmore in that he's really good in yardage sets in terms of winning the collisons and picking up yards but it's hold-your-breath time at the play the ball, as well as dropping the kick that led to Batley's second try Blackmore had another knock on at the play the ball.

Gaz Gale was another who lost the ball in our territory against Batley but in his case you'd have to excuse it as it was the most blatant ball steal you'd ever see by their prop Everett in a 3-man tackle, Hewer had a very good game generally but he definitely missed one there.

I do hope we work on the timing of our passing from dummy half this week, four forward passes (from 3 different players) is riduclous.

to be fair it's not the timing of the pass it's the timing of the run 

21 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes I agree, although sometimes the dummy half just has to realise when the runner has over-run him and hang on to the ball.

that's easier said than done most forwards  happen when runner close to the ball  and AHB that doesn't give him time to think so he passes the ball because bottom line he trusts his teammates run  if you look closely when a runners wide the AHB turns and always passes backwards

9 hours ago, POR said:

change the team round a bit no he won't realistically only changes needed is minns for josh  and sherlock in the halves  and then choice of starting hooker   with his plan for james to come off the bench and parata's impact and the need for brett and junior getting game time   no changes there that just leaves gareth on the wing and frankie on the left edge to possibly change 

What a great player parata is. I'm surprised he doesn't get more game time.

2 hours ago, Dog forever said:

What a great player parata is. I'm surprised he doesn't get more game time.

a very good player but he's more effective coming off the bench against tiring defence

12 hours ago, POR said:

So apart from all those changes you suggested, he won't make any 😂

25 minutes ago, YoungBanno said:

So apart from all those changes you suggested, he won't make any 😂

all what changes  only suggested two new faces miinns and sherlock with choice of starting hooker which really doesn't count as a change because both already in team  all rest including four  subs will be the same  so sorry Webbo won't  probably change the team round a bit, as you suggest and there's a  chance only 1 new face iin team if sherlock still  un- fit hope that helps

18 hours ago, POR said:

all what changes  only suggested two new faces miinns and sherlock with choice of starting hooker which really doesn't count as a change because both already in team  all rest including four  subs will be the same  so sorry Webbo won't  probably change the team round a bit, as you suggest and there's a  chance only 1 new face iin team if sherlock still  un- fit hope that helps

On 29/03/2021 at 10:43, POR said:

no changes there that just leaves gareth on the wing and frankie on the left edge to possibly change 

That would be 4 changes you've mentioned, including potentially at half back/hooker... If that isn't changing the team round a bit, I don't know what is 😂..

JD could be fit again which could be a boost. 

Back on topic anyway. We are in for another tough game on Friday. Batley will be coming with a lot of confidence from the last game and we can't underestimate them again. Should be a good one! 

Webbo has to make significant changes after last Saturday’s horror show.

not only to stamp his authority on the group but for the moral of the squad.

These are professional players and schoolboy errors cannot be ignored.

After that performance It is simply not fair on those like JD, cooper etc who were sidelined last week not to bring them into the 17 this week.

Enthusiasm and performance have to be the mainstay of the team this year just like the environment Ryan Carr created in 2019.

Players have to understand mistakes and a drop in standards will jepodise their chances of retaining the shirt.

on that basis Half a dozen changes necessary and justified.

Think we will see a few surprises in selection this week.

13 minutes ago, YoungBanno said:

That would be 4 changes you've mentioned, including potentially at half back/hooker... If that isn't changing the team round a bit, I don't know what is 😂..

JD could be fit again which could be a boost. 

Back on topic anyway. We are in for another tough game on Friday. Batley will be coming with a lot of confidence from the last game and we can't underestimate them again. Should be a good one! 

That would be 4 changes you've mentionedi  not realy if you look at all my posts on the match only suggested minns sherlock  and jones rested i only mentioned mentioned gareth for all the josh fans get him in the team and frankie for all  JD  fans  to get him on the bench and  for you  when you suggested Webbo will probably change the team round a bit, creating a bit of competition for places.  never for once did I ever really  think that would happen😂

Batley will be coming with a lot of confidence from the last game  agree but if we KEEP hold of the ball instead of repeating last weeks fiasco  I'm sure their confidence will wain

9 minutes ago, Glynfev said:

Webbo has to make significant changes after last Saturday’s horror show.

not only to stamp his authority on the group but for the moral of the squad.

These are professional players and schoolboy errors cannot be ignored.

After that performance It is simply not fair on those like JD, cooper etc who were sidelined last week not to bring them into the 17 this week.

Enthusiasm and performance have to be the mainstay of the team this year just like the environment Ryan Carr created in 2019.

Players have to understand mistakes and a drop in standards will jepodise their chances of retaining the shirt.

on that basis Half a dozen changes necessary and justified.

Think we will see a few surprises in selection this week.

so please tell me in your opinion which  Half a dozen changes are necessary and justified.

Archived