Featherstone (A) Championship Round 1

Keep The Faith

This Friday sees our 3rd visit in to post office road in a matter of weeks looking for our first two points since September 2009 when Karl Harrison men took the spoils on the final day..

hopefully we have 2-3 players back this week & have another go like yesterday afternoon and smarter ourselves up we'll not be far off... 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still can't see us beating them at theirs, but I'd settle for another entertaining game and go Fev 16 Dogs 10

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but what's the situation with watching this? Is it being streamed for a fee? 

Edit: Just seen it's on ourleague.com. Good stuff! 

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

If the game is cancelled then due to the already truncated fixture list the RFL should award us the game as they have as much as admitted that there is no leeway for extra games. This is how amateur leagues operate and award an 18-0 victory.

44 minutes ago, RogerT said:

I know it can't be helped due to the current circumstances, but I would rather be won or lost on the field.

But if the game can't go ahead we are penalised for something we didn't do...

2 points is a minimum we should get, perhaps throw in Parata as compensation for hurt feelings?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

11 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

But if the game can't go ahead we are penalised for something we didn't do...

2 points is a minimum we should get, perhaps throw in Parata as compensation for hurt feelings?

I was thinking Day and Harrison, but the sentiment is the same lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, phildog said:

If the game is cancelled then due to the already truncated fixture list the RFL should award us the game as they have as much as admitted that there is no leeway for extra games. This is how amateur leagues operate and award an 18-0 victory.

You may benefit as the game could be annulled and the league is organised on a percentage win basis this season. Avoiding a defeat at POR (if that is what might have resulted) would help your percentages.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

52 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You may benefit as the game could be annulled and the league is organised on a percentage win basis this season. Avoiding a defeat at POR (if that is what might have resulted) would help your percentages.

To be honest, if I was the club, I would pushing for that outcome.

Why should we put our fully part time squad, who could potentially lose earnings if they had to self isolate, because another club chose not to follow the rules. We've followed the rules, spent money on a camera to limit the risk of mass isolation within the squad. All of which could be rendered pointless by actions of a club that chose to break the law.

It will be interesting to see which way the RFL bounces with this. 

Will the RFL:-

A) Take the usual RFL stance of sweeping things under the carpet. All players are tested prior to games, so there is no added risk, and the game can go ahead. 

B) Set a precedent, throw the book at them with a points deduction, award the league points as wins to Fevs opponents, until an isolation period has been completed, and a big fine, as a warning to every other club that might flout the Covid rules in the future.

Had this been Wigan or Warrington, rather than Fev, would the course of action been different?

I guess we will never know.

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Why should we put our fully part time squad, who could potentially lose earnings if they had to self isolate, because another club chose not to follow the rules.

A) Take the usual RFL stance of sweeping it under the carpet, all players are tested prior to games, so there is no added risk, and the game can go ahead. 

B) Set a precedent, throw the book at them with a points deduction, award the league points as wins to Fevs next two opponents, and a big fine, as a warning to every other club that might flout the Covid rules in the future.

Had this been Wigan or Warrington, rather than Fev, would the course of action been different.

I think the issue here is that, from the press report, it appears that the club facilitated the incidence. Or at the very least it took place in club premises. There is also the issue of the legality of the incident. Will law enforcement want to bring charges?

We really are very much in the dark and Brett Ferres seems to be the sacrificial lamb (a nice Easter reference there for you) at the moment. I would not be in favour of the result last weekend being annulled, as they beat us fair and square. However, if we are ready to play on Friday, and they can't, there is a discussion to be had in those circumstances.

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

I think the issue here is that, from the press report, it appears that the club facilitated the incidence. Or at the very least it took place in club premises. There is also the issue of the legality of the incident. Will law enforcement want to bring charges?

We really are very much in the dark and Brett Ferres seems to be the sacrificial lamb (a nice Easter reference there for you) at the moment. I would not be in favour of the result last weekend being annulled, as they beat us fair and square. However, if we are ready to play on Friday, and they can't, there is a discussion to be had in those circumstances.

I think BSJ was referring to the league game being annulled, not the cup game.

Ferres is visible in the photo below, there may well be other players in the photo I'm not as familiar with. I'm not  sure how he can really be defended. Assuming it is not fake news. 😉

https://twitter.com/keith_hurrel/status/1377239880841973761?s=20

The authorities have a precedent of handing out fines to organisers of gatherings, so that will be the likely outcome if charges are pressed I'd have thought.

4 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I think BSJ was referring to the league game being annulled, not the cup game.

Ferres is visible in the photo below, there may well be other players in the photo I'm not as familiar with. I'm not  sure how he can really be defended. Assuming it is not fair news. 😉

https://twitter.com/keith_hurrel/status/1377239880841973761?s=20

The authorities have a precedent of handing out fines to organisers of gatherings, so that will be the likely outcome if charges are pressed I'd have thought.

Aren't participants also liable to FPN of £200?

41 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Why should we put our fully part time squad, who could potentially lose earnings if they had to self isolate, because another club chose not to follow the rules. We've followed the rules, spent money on a camera to limit the risk of mass isolation within the squad. All of which could be rendered pointless by actions of a club that chose to break the law.

A) Take the usual RFL stance of sweeping things under the carpet. All players are tested prior to games, so there is no added risk, and the game can go ahead. 

B) Set a precedent, throw the book at them with a points deduction, award the league points as wins to Fevs opponents, until an isolation period has been completed, and a big fine, as a warning to every other club that might flout the Covid rules in the future.

Had this been Wigan or Warrington, rather than Fev, would the course of action been different?

I guess we will never know.

I bet its A but it should be B. The police might still get involved and the organiser or club stuffed with a 10k fine.

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

Aren't participants also liable to FPN of £200?

I believe so, but I'm not sure how that will impact Batley?

Personally, I'm only bothered about how it will impact us.

What we will never know for sure, is how many other players were in attendance. Was it just Ferres, or did the rest of squad then join him in the bar?

It sounds more likely the latter given Gill's response and exit from his job. However, it is pure speculation.

Could anyone really be expected to believe a club that had broken the rules to tell the truth about how many players were actually in attendance? 

Or

Should a worst case scenario be used in deciding what sanction is imposed? E.g. All of the other players turned up later/ had already left when the photo was taken.

1 minute ago, DOGFATHER said:

I believe so, but I'm not sure how that will impact Batley.

Personally, I'm only bothered about how it will impact Batley.

What we will never know for sure, is how many other players were in attendance. Was it just Ferres, or did the rest of squad then join him in the bar? 

It sounds more likely the latter given Gill's response. However, it is pure speculation.

Well I am interested in the whole thing, not just Batley. Whatever outcomes there are in this situation, they will have an impact on us. 

In reference to the part in bold, why wouldn't we know? Is that because Fev will not share that info with the investigation? I think that would be a strange approach from them, and would probably set the tone of any relationship with the RFL for the future. Or will it be because the RFL choose not to reveal that info. They have set the precedent by sanctioning Ferres - surely there will be more to come. 

As for the fines, I added that bit because you mentioned fines for organisers, and am fully aware that it won't affect us.

3 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Well I am interested in the whole thing, not just Batley. Whatever outcomes there are in this situation, they will have an impact on us. 

In reference to the part in bold, why wouldn't we know? Is that because Fev will not share that info with the investigation? I think that would be a strange approach from them, and would probably set the tone of any relationship with the RFL for the future. Or will it be because the RFL choose not to reveal that info. They have set the precedent by sanctioning Ferres - surely there will be more to come. 

As for the fines, I added that bit because you mentioned fines for organisers, and am fully aware that it won't affect us.

Sorry dd, I was editing my post when you replied. 

My last paragraph might answer your question.

I've no reason to suspect Fev of not fully co-operating with an investigation. I'm just not sure how reliable the only witnesses to the infringement would be, as they are all  in some way connected to the club that committed the offence. 

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Sorry dd, I was editing my post when you replied. 

My last paragraph might answer your question.

I've no reason to suspect Fev of not fully co-operating with an investigation. I'm just not sure how reliable the only witnesses to the infringement would be, as they are all  in some way connected to the club that committed the offence. 

No need to apologise. I think a post by Blues Ox on the main forum might be the way ahead for Fev. I think they should be admitting their mistake, name those in the room and simply take their medicine. I would also reference BSJ that suggests that if the match cannot be played, we lobby for a result from it - I think you suggested the same previously on this thread.

I've scrutinised the reflections in the many of the beer bottles on the table and can recognise all 27 of Fev's players....

With a a little bit of imagination and a squint 😉

I do not see how Friday's game can possibly go ahead after this flouting of covid rules.It's possible that the whole Fev squad could test negative,but surely the RFL cannot risk the slightest possibility that anyone from Batley could be infected.That would seriously compound the already disasterous PR situation the RFL are facing.

Should Batley be awarded the points?   Probably.

Archived