Featherstone (A) Championship Round 1

Keep The Faith

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much better 2nd half, we won  it 12-10 against the slope. It's the big switch offs where the trouble lies, last week 3 tries in 3 moves in about 7 minutes, tonight 2 tries in 3 minutes 1st half, 2 in 4 in 2nd half. Unfortunately for Craig his pack changes didn't come off like he hoped in interview but 2 new men in from the get go when he might have been better starting with lads who have been playing and holding the 2 to see the game and its layout, who knows. Halves were to the fore again though, they're looking better every week.

7 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Can we play you every week? .....Hang on🤔 Seriously though it's been said on Fev Facebook, That is the best Batley side in years. 

I think that there were positives, especially the way we stick in. We do look dangerous in the backs too. Disappointed we didn't win at least one of the games but as I said previously, it was the hardest start to the season that any team will have. Fev do have that X factor, that something extra that will turn games for them when they are in trouble. I doubt we will come up against any faster, bigger team this season.

Sadly though, we will all have to put up with Halifax supporters (we all know which ones) coming on here claiming they have found their mojo and will have a magnificent season!

3 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I think that there were positives, especially the way we stick in. We do look dangerous in the backs too. Disappointed we didn't win at least one of the games but as I said previously, it was the hardest start to the season that any team will have. Fev do have that X factor, that something extra that will turn games for them when they are in trouble. I doubt we will come up against any faster, bigger team this season.

Sadly though, we will all have to put up with Halifax supporters (we all know which ones) coming on here claiming they have found their mojo and will have a magnificent season!

Fev have bought some quality individuals that need to gel as a team. Batley on the other hand have loads of team spirit and stand toe to toe even when the game looks like slipping away. The league looks like being more closer than the bookies are indicating.

Just now, DOGFATHER said:

I thought we seemed a little off the boil tonight and lacked a bit of urgency compared to some of our other performances.

Although, I'd have taken that result prior to kick off. 

Not sure about that. They were defensively better this time round, and really proud of how tough we looked in the second half. but, like you, would have accepted that result, certainly at half time!

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I thought we seemed a little off the boil tonight and lacked a bit of urgency compared to some of our other performances.

Although, I'd have taken that result prior to kick off. 

Agree DF, we hung in there without threatening an upset. Bodes well for the rest of the season

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

55 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Agree DF, we hung in there without threatening an upset. Bodes well for the rest of the season

Absolutely! 

Prior to the game last week, I expected them to be far better than us, and wouldn't have been surprised to see us on the end of a 40 point scoreline.

But our hunger kept us within a shout, and with a bit more composure we could have won it.

We just seemed a little sluggish tonight, and lacked some of that urgency that was so evident last week. 

Maybe Kaye and Morton missing had an impact on that? As both had been in tremendous form. 

I don't mean to be over critical, as it wasn't a bad performance by any means. I certainly didn't think prior to the season starting, I would be a little disappointed by a 10 point loss away to them.

I just felt last week, all 17 players could have been in the top 3 MOM nominations. The same couldn't be said tonight. There were a couple of players who were very anonymous.

I think the scoreline flattered us a bit too, it was 6 tries to 3. Lucky for us, Hall couldn't buy a conversion which kept us in the game.

As you say though, it bodes well for the rest of season, if we're disappointed losing by such a small margin, to such a fancied side away from home.

Thought you guys dug in well tonight and never gave in. I was always anxious that you would get back into it. Think you missed Kaye and Manning wasn't his usual busy self, which will come with more game time. Hall at Full-back is class though. 

That said, if you keep playing like that, you'll win more games than you lose. 

Best of luck for the rest of the season!

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Absolutely! 

Prior to the game last week, I expected them to be far better than us, and wouldn't have been surprised to see us on the end of a 40 point scoreline.

But our hunger kept us within a shout, and with a bit more composure we could have won it. .

We just seemed a little sluggish tonight, and lacked some of that hunger that was so evident last week. 

Maybe Kaye and Morton missing had an impact on that. As both had been in tremendous form. 

I don't mean to be over critical, as it wasn't a bad performance by any means. I certainly didn't think prior to the season starting, I would be a little disappointed by a 10 point loss away to them.

I just felt last week, all 17 players could have been in the top 3 MOM nominations. The same couldn't be said tonight,  there were a couple of players who were very anonymous.

I think the scoreline flattered us a bit, it was 6 tries to 3. Lucky for us, Hall couldn't buy a conversion which kept us in the game.

aye he'd not having a good one missed 7 in last two games 😭

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Showed lots of bottle there going uphill. Was a bit concerned at half time that we were going to be overwhelmed but we did ok. We have to remember that that is the most difficult start we could have, so plenty to build on.

Shows improvement our way because 2-3 year ago that would of been fev 50-12 final score 

we are a better side... 

hopefully we turn our place into a tough place to come 

10 hours ago, distantdog said:

I wouldnt get too carried away after a win against a very poor London team. We did have three players back in our pack who missed the Batley game who I noted would make a big difference for us. But hey ho its nice to get a mention on a Fev V Batley thread, maybe I need to start paying you rent. 😉

Back on topic, it sounds like Batley put up a decent fight in what must be about your 8th? game against Fev this season. Over the games I think its fair to say Fev have that extra bit of quality but that will be the same when they play most of the teams in this division. From what I have seen of them so far though I do think they will lose some games and one of their biggest problems could come down to keeping the suad happy when there are going to be a lot of good players missing out each week and that could play a part.

BTW, who's responsible for getting teams to the media and press? Neither TotalRL nor BBC Sport had a proper listing of our team; Elliott Hall, a try scorer, wasn't even listed, BBC had Tom Gilmore down for 2 tries!

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I wouldnt get too carried away after a win against a very poor London team. We did have three players back in our pack who missed the Batley game who I noted would make a big difference for us. But hey ho its nice to get a mention on a Fev V Batley thread, maybe I need to start paying you rent. 😉

Back on topic, it sounds like Batley put up a decent fight in what must be about your 8th? game against Fev this season. Over the games I think its fair to say Fev have that extra bit of quality but that will be the same when they play most of the teams in this division. From what I have seen of them so far though I do think they will lose some games and one of their biggest problems could come down to keeping the suad happy when there are going to be a lot of good players missing out each week and that could play a part.

Your right about London Blues Ox. I watched them against york and thought they were poor. Watched yesterday and they looked like an amateur side not full time. Your lot didn't have to get out of 2nd gear. The wholes in London defence were unbelievable. Can't see them causing many teams any problems on that performance. 

12 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

I thought Jolie Broughton had a very poor game . Totally out of position for at least 2 of their tries. Really not seen anything from him so far to impress me. 

I think the tactic of letting them catch the ball and then tackling them is ok if...

1. When you let them catch the ball you hit them straight away

2. You cover the ball so they can't get it out.

3. You have a team mate to cover for missing any of the above.

I think Broughton was a bit late making the initial tackle once the ball was caught, then needed help to stop the ball getting out.

I just think it needs a bit of communication. Broughton will be fine. His asset is his speed and he hasn't had much chance to show it against Fev. He'll be fine. He just needs to be there to fall over the line when needed.

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Batley.... bold statement here.

If players stay healthy I can see a top five finish. I really can

Potentially, but as you quite rightly say, injuries. Too early to say for us but I think as the season progresses, yesterday's result might not look too bad. I am interested to see just how well other teams do against you. I think currently Toulouse look a bit thin with the loss of a couple of players. 

7 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Potentially, but as you quite rightly say, injuries. Too early to say for us but I think as the season progresses, yesterday's result might not look too bad. I am interested to see just how well other teams do against you. I think currently Toulouse look a bit thin with the loss of a couple of players. 

Lingard was (IMO) the best full back outside SL in his day... and I include Neil turley in that.

He's a good enthusiastic coach who appears to have got a good team ethic going, makes best use of resources available to him and has got the team.playing with a good level of commitment.

I'll stick with my earlier proclamation.... top 5... subject to health.

Archived