Bradford & Nigel Wood

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Thanks - no expect on such things but that seems a lot of money

I’ve honestly no idea but it is worth stressing that it’s the stock car people who are spending money getting the place ready for stock cars. That will be where their money has gone. A track and proper safety barriers - I reckon you can eat 200k there pretty quickly.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, silverback said:

The stadium is looking good to go.over £200k been spent and lots more work to be done.fans of all sports getting stuck in over past few months. Wembley of the north.

https://forum.stoxnet.com/topic/33734-odsal-startrax-updates/?do=getNewComment

https://forum.stoxnet.com/uploads/monthly_2021_03/gofundmeodsal.jpg.f9276dfa7a15cc0c3394e1b42c3c2ba0.jpg

For fans of Oval Racing, Rugby and Speedway to help offset the cost of re-painting the iconic Odsal Stadium Bradford, prior to its Grand Re-Opening in 2021.

This fundraiser is to help with the cost of paint and other materials needed to help bring the Stadium back to life. We have the Volunteers, we now need the materials.

Odsal is the North's most Iconic Stadium for Stockcar Racing, Rugby League and Speedway. With help from the fans and supporters of all sports it is our aim to make it the Wembley of the North.

A massive investment has been made by Startrax Oval Motorsport Limited in installing a new fence and re-laying a shale track so racing can return. Unfortunatly the rest of the stadium is looking a little tired and we want it to sparkle when COVID restrictions are lifted and the stadium can return to hosting Stockcars and Rugby along with many other types of events. 

The re-opening of Odsal will be a massive boost to the local economy and community.

Lets make the Old Girl shine once again and be made to feel proud that we have all contributed.

https://uk.gofundme.com/f/odsal-stadium-go-paint-it/

While that’s a good start and the return of speedway and stock at racing is a positive the facilities are still minimal. Everything from the toilets to the terracing needs upgrading. The bar in the corner looks like it’s about to blow over

Let’s be hones, given the condition of Odsal, you could spend a few million there are it would be a drop in the ocean. I maintain that Odsal is a costly millstone for the club, which it really needs rid of.

21 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Let’s be hones, given the condition of Odsal, you could spend a few million there are it would be a drop in the ocean. I maintain that Odsal is a costly millstone for the club, which it really needs rid of.

Well, firstly, the Bulls don't own Odsal so it's not something that can be 'rid of'. The club could choose to move out - and actually has done, but it's not really a long-term solution at Dewsbury

Second, and this flows from the first point, whilst most Bulls fans would prefer a more modern stadium there is the rather thorny question of who is going to pay for it. And therein lies the problem that has held the club back for many years!

Is Nigel Wood going to fund a new stadium? I'm not holding my breath. Will the Council build a stadium? Not a chance. Valley Parade? Has been tried and rejected. So, right now, Odsal looks like the least worst option...

4 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, firstly, the Bulls don't own Odsal so it's not something that can be 'rid of'. The club could choose to move out - and actually has done, but it's not really a long-term solution at Dewsbury

Second, and this flows from the first point, whilst most Bulls fans would prefer a more modern stadium there is the rather thorny question of who is going to pay for it. And therein lies the problem that has held the club back for many years!

Is Nigel Wood going to fund a new stadium? I'm not holding my breath. Will the Council build a stadium? Not a chance. Valley Parade? Has been tried and rejected. So, right now, Odsal looks like the least worst option...

I do not disagree with a single word you say, however some seem to think that because some upgrades have taken place for car racing then all is good, when the reality is it’s far from good and still a financial millstone for the Bulls should they move back there. Like you, I don’t see any easy solution.

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

While that’s a good start and the return of speedway and stock at racing is a positive the facilities are still minimal. Everything from the toilets to the terracing needs upgrading. The bar in the corner looks like it’s about to blow over

RFL are paying to repair the floodlights and replace the bulbs. 5 figure sum. 

Bulls are paying to renovate the touchdown and the pavilion bar.

The crush barriers and terracing has passed the safety report from the council.

14 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

hopefully that’s all the first step towards a modern fit for SL Odsal 

It might be worthwhile seeing if there's anything they could use from Bootham Crescent, the old York City ground? If so they could do a Fev if they've got the right volunteers with construction skills.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

The council should have built a complex similar to the one at York and Leigh to replace Richard Dunn’s. Could have been used by the Bulls, Park Avenue, West Bowling and even a place for City to train as well as the community to use. Instead they built the new leisure centre at Sedbergh

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

There is absolutely no guarantee speedway will return to Odsal. The owner of Startrax, the stock car organisation which has sorted the track and reinstated the safety fence, got his fingers burned badly when he promoted speedway at Stoke. He needs to find a speedway promoter. Speedway was very poorly supported last time it was staged at Odsal, in 1998 - despite Bradford tracking a title-winning team. And the sport has gone seriously downhill during the intervening 20+ years. The top division now has just six clubs.

2 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

The RFL paying to help sort Odsal out so the Bulls can return...maybe their commentator can apologise to those who run the sport?

The RFL investment is basics is significant, £50k alone for floodlight repparartions, various other essential repairs and renewals will be a six figure sum therefore we have got involved in trying to drive some of the non essentials [ but appearance and feel good we feel essential ] to speed up the process to open with some pride. The Bulls also have their own huge commitment in getting their team and facilities ready to return when crowds return so what we want to achieve is in all our interests. I had a length phone chat with Mr Nigel Wood this morning and comforted again that as both sports 'we are welded together' at the hip and in this for the long term.

The 'new' Bulls are working hard on their own infrastructure to ensure long term viability and plans for which they have shared their vision that has encouraged me - and hopefully should encourage Bulls fans as time moves forward, they have a huge task in rebuilding Odsal as a viable RL enterprise with the baggage of previous franchise holders to manage - and they should get support setting out their own agenda for long term development and for the Bulls to thrive. One point I cannot over stress, how the scale and size of this project has unfolded, had we known it in October 2019, tumbleweed would still be blowing down the terraces!

bradford2903.jpg.f8a968669fa0729542aad68

WORK GOES ON ~ODSAL LIVE THE DREAM!

Monday 29th, week 12!

The team are 'on site'

The back straight terracing, now fully painted and 'Purple Wellies' on site power washing - The boxes on the back will be demolished and new crowd barriers installed, this should have happened last week however, there were decommissioning issues power wise [ now resolved ] and an asbestos report pre demolition required [ now done ] so will be re arranged in the next couple of weeks. Karl's team are well into the Rooley end terracing, all shot blasted and started painting the upright's black, work due to start in around 2 weeks n the 'steps'

What is most impressive and provides a great 'vision' of how it will look, is the fence painting - you really get the picture!

AND - JUST 2 DAYS LEFT!

WE HAVE SO MUCH ON OUR WISH LIST ACHIEVE SO, ONCE WE CLOSE THE FUND DOWN midnight on the 31st we can plan what MORE we can achieve with our added investment, so one last push!

If you have already donated you can still help by sharing this post on your social media.

All donations are appreciated no matter how large all small, but to have your name on the board it is a minimum £15. Lets all have one final push. Let's make the Friends of Odsal Board HUGE!

To donate go to gf.me/u/zjg6i8

or make a payment to Paypal higgi29@aol.com

Since 1954 - a reasonably comprehensive history of F1 Stock Car Racing since 1954.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I would imagine that it’s mostly getting the track up to standard. 

And a new copy of ELP's Fanfare for the Common Man.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

The RFL paying to help sort Odsal out so the Bulls can return...maybe their commentator can apologise to those who run the sport?

No one really knows the contracts the various parties have.  Need to remember the Rfl are the head lease holders, they could be just fulfilling their contractual obligations with the council. 

7 hours ago, Josef K said:

I don’t know anything about speedway apart from it’s noisy, but what type of gates do they get at fixtures over here (pre covid) ?. 

I know it has been struggling and there are often articles popping up on BBC about "does Speedway have a future in the UK" and that was about 6 years ago reporting below 1,000 mark typically on average. However like most sports I imagine you will have your hardcore followers. Most of the riders seem to come from abroad especially Scandinavian countries if you include Denmark. Most of the tracks are greyhound racing tracks or used to be and that still keeps going when you get the negative press. Speedway GB recently has had investment from BT Sports as a sole coverage provider but its usually like on Channel 2 but the GB competition seems to be a feeder comp where the foreign riders come to be less high profile before going to Sweden or Denmark where it seems very popular. 

1 hour ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

I know it has been struggling and there are often articles popping up on BBC about "does Speedway have a future in the UK" and that was about 6 years ago reporting below 1,000 mark typically on average. However like most sports I imagine you will have your hardcore followers. Most of the riders seem to come from abroad especially Scandinavian countries if you include Denmark. Most of the tracks are greyhound racing tracks or used to be and that still keeps going when you get the negative press. Speedway GB recently has had investment from BT Sports as a sole coverage provider but its usually like on Channel 2 but the GB competition seems to be a feeder comp where the foreign riders come to be less high profile before going to Sweden or Denmark where it seems very popular. 

Speedway in GB is struggling to retain even its hardcore support. Of the existing 19 clubs, I'd say only six are capable of attracting 1,000+ crowds. Across London and the entire South East, speedway has just one club - based at Sittingbourne. The remorseless sale to developers of dog tracks is a major problem. There are new initiatives aimed at producing British talent. Just as well. Long gone are the days when the world's top riders rode in GB. Most of the big names now concentrate on Poland and Sweden, where crowds and wages are much higher.

When I worked on Teesside, I used to watch the speedway at Middlesbrough. In the club's last season, 1996, the average crowd was about 850. A couple of years ago, I attended a meeting at the town's new track, on the Middlesbrough/Redcar boundary, and got chatting to the promoter's wife. I asked her about attendances. She said they'd had a very good one a couple of weeks before. How many? 581! Hence the '500/500 sport' jibe. 500cc bikes watched by 500 spectators.

Just now, Hopping Mad said:

Speedway in GB is struggling to retain even its hardcore support. Of the existing 19 clubs, I'd say only six are capable of attracting 1,000+ crowds. Across London and the entire South East, speedway has just one club - based at Sittingbourne. The remorseless sale to developers of dog tracks is a major problem. There are new initiatives aimed at producing British talent. Just as well. Long gone are the days when the world's top riders rode in GB. Most of the big names now concentrate on Poland and Sweden, where crowds and wages are much higher.

When I worked on Teesside, I used to watch the speedway at Middlesbrough. In the club's last season, 1996, the average crowd was about 850. A couple of years ago, I attended a meeting at the town's new track, on the Middlesbrough/Redcar boundary, and got chatting to the promoter's wife. I asked her about attendances. She said they'd had a very good one a couple of weeks before. How many? 581!

14 hours ago, Oldbear said:

I do not disagree with a single word you say, however some seem to think that because some upgrades have taken place for car racing then all is good, when the reality is it’s far from good and still a financial millstone for the Bulls should they move back there. Like you, I don’t see any easy solution.

This might be an obvious question, but why would it be a financial millstone for the Bulls? Surely the millstone you refer to is the RFL's?

As a club they are not tied in any way to Odsal as far as I know. If they chose to return, they will pay rent to the leaseholder, just like any other club that does not own their ground. The rent will surely be commensurate to the standard of the facility. Why would they pay anywhere near the same as say Doncaster, Leigh or Halifax for example who are playing out of modern, well appointed stadia?

The leaseholder is currently getting nothing in rent, as no club is playing at the ground, so will point to the fact some money coming in, is better than nothing to recoup some of the losses. 

This whole saga looked like one big fop right from the start, and should have been investigated by an independent inquiry.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I feel for Bradford fans. The club pretty much needed a total rebuild and then Nigel Wood came in. Nigel Wood is not the person you want running a rugby league club. What a shambles.

And he hasn't even got a programme collection any more.

8 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

This might be an obvious question, but why would it be a financial millstone for the Bulls? Surely the millstone you refer to is the RFL's?

As a club they are not tied in any way to Odsal as far as I know. If they chose to return, they will pay rent to the leaseholder, just like any other club that does not own their ground. The rent will surely be commensurate to the standard of the facility. Why would they pay anywhere near the same as say Doncaster, Leigh or Halifax for example who are playing out of modern, well appointed stadia?

The leaseholder is currently getting nothing in rent, as no club is playing at the ground, so will point to the fact some money coming in, is better than nothing to recoup some of the losses. 

This whole saga looked like one big fop right from the start, and should have been investigated by an independent inquiry.

The previous lease meant we were responsible for all the costs of running Odsal which was 180k+ plus the lease or 70k I believe this is now going to be split 3 ways between RFL,Stock Cars and Bulls.

29 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

The previous lease meant we were responsible for all the costs of running Odsal which was 180k+ plus the lease or 70k I believe this is now going to be split 3 ways between RFL,Stock Cars and Bulls.

Are the Bulls planning on buying the RFL’s stake back?

Archived