Culture Secretary to make Cup draw as government provides £16.7 million loan

Look any Government world -wide that ignores the growth and employment prospects of sport are nuts. Sport is considered by many economists to be one of the few real industries with plenty of scope for growth world-wide.

In an era of low-growth Governments would be crazy not to grab any opportunity to encourage the growth of any industry that injects millions of dollars and employs thousands and thousands of people across the economy.

England if it plays it cards right it has the opportunity to be the northern hemisphere hub of Rugby League, the EPL of League so to speak, 10 -14 Super Clubs employing ten of thousands and generating many hundreds of millions in income.

I really really hope that your Government realises the growth potential offered by a thriving Rugby League Industry.

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Look any Government world -wide that ignores the growth and employment prospects of sport are nuts. Sport is considered by many economists to be one of the few real industries with plenty of scope for growth world-wide.

In an era of low-growth Governments would be crazy not to grab any opportunity to encourage the growth of any industry that injects millions of dollars and employs thousands and thousands of people across the economy.

England if it plays it cards right it has the opportunity to be the northern hemisphere hub of Rugby League, the EPL of League so to speak, 10 -14 Super Clubs employing ten of thousands and generating many hundreds of millions in income.

I really really hope that your Government realises the growth potential offered by a thriving Rugby League Industry.

I'm sorry Rocket but I just don't recognize the game as you describe it over here, the management of the game over here has been scrutinized to death on these pages over the years but one thing you have to remember is the strength of the old boy network that infests government and the civil service in this country and within that are people who will actively try to kill us off. They might mouth platitudes about the Northern Powerhouse and evening up the country but experience shows it's just words with very little substance.

A Leopard never changes it's spots.

9 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I'm sorry Rocket but I just don't recognize the game as you describe it over here, the management of the game over here has been scrutinized to death on these pages over the years but one thing you have to remember is the strength of the old boy network that infests government and the civil service in this country and within that are people who will actively try to kill us off. They might mouth platitudes about the Northern Powerhouse and evening up the country but experience shows it's just words with very little substance.

This is true but RL in the UK is a sport of convenience for the UK government at the moment, both economically and politically. That will certainly change at some point in the future so we need to make the most of it whilst the (limited) opportunity is there.

7 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Well that`s a damn shame, and you`re going to have to do it without them. I`m pretty positive it can still be done, it will just take longer than it should.

But seriously, all countries face employment challenges and a thriving Rugby League scene could be a major employer and generator of wealth. It`s not like starting a new industry, the structure is already there. Perhaps as it sinks in with western governments that we are in for a long period of low economic growth they will start to look to areas that offer growth potential, entertainment is one and League and sport in general are part of the entertainment industry.

BTW, it has dawned on the State Gov`t over here, hence all the talk of investment in stadiums and sporting facilities.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

We need as many politicians from all the main political parties as possible in our corner.

We need as many big businesses and business people as possible in our corner. Easier said than than done, i know, but we have to openly court these these businesses and people.

I’d have thought Dowden would’ve been doing the draw in a Union Jack suit, wearing also Union Jack glasses. 
I wonder if he was visiting any care homes in the area, after he/they decided to put the old vulnerable people who had had Covid from hospital straight into a care home. 

14 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I have a feeling that they will be very low interest with minimal conditions.

Or not repay it at all maybe 

It is a big thing this year to have the rugby league World Cup and the tories will milk it for all its worth 

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Loans again? A certain other sport seems to get grants.

£88m loan announced a couple of days ago

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, The storm said:

Or not repay it at all maybe 

It is a big thing this year to have the rugby league World Cup and the tories will milk it for all its worth 

Who are they going to send to ask for it back? 

On a somewhat more positive note, wouldn't it be a good idea to invite the minister to be a guest at the cup final at Wembley, so he can enjoy the conclusion of the competition in which he played a small but necessary role today?

On the bright side, he was on BBC1 1pm news wearing a RLWC jacket giving the event some free publicity.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

£88m loan announced a couple of days ago

I think in November, Union had 17m of grants as well as loans then. Union is definitely being looked after. Hopefully League can access some grants too as the game needs funding for the community game.

What we don't know are the terms and conditions of the loans. There may be clauses that give RL time to recover income and investment. Are grants given without conditions? We just get the bare bones of grants and loans. It would be interesting to hear or see the way these items are arranged. Do the loans take security? Are grants given on any basis. Are they applied for or just given? A clearer picture would be welcome. 

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

I think in November, Union had 17m of grants as well as loans then. Union is definitely being looked after. Hopefully League can access some grants too as the game needs funding for the community game.

Football thought it was getting grants too. Then it wasn’t. There’s massive issues as a result.

Don’t forget we’ve had our World Cup subsidised by the government- which even committed to it in their manifesto.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived