First Impressions

MZH

Yes one had to be impressed, we could well be in for a treat when the player's are battle hardend, have game awareness and in a lot of cases respond to new teammates.

There have been a few complimentary comments in the direction of my team Leigh, I think with the number of player's who being available would have most probably been selected are fit to be included we can probably kick-on some more, but on a less positive aspect we most definatley need someone to guide us around the field and call plays, our 6 & 7 of Friday do simply not fit that role, if they were Leigh would not have lost that game v Wigan.

But for a first round all around the signs are promising for an exiting season.

Team summary IMO:

Saints - solid first half; despite missing two key elements of the spine. Scrappy in the 2nd but a good hit out. Team to beat. 

Salford - decent 2nd half. May take a bit of time to gel but could be challenging for top 6 place. 

Leigh - impressive. Hope to avoid the drop. Injuries (especially in the forwards) a key risk. 

Wigan - poor by their standards. Be up there with Saints at the end of the year though. Powell immense and bright future for Smith at 7.

Leeds - not impressed. Won’t challenge the top two IMO. Appreciate there are injuries but lack quality in the forwards. 

Wakefield - good performance that gives lots of hope they’ll have far too much for Leigh to beat the drop. Love watching Johnstone. 

Catalan - impressive first 40. Poor second half. Need to learn to play for 80mins. 

Hull KR - good performance in the 2nd half. Lots of resilience. Should beat the drop and will surprise a few teams if they can remain lucky with injuries. 

Hull - Really impressive 60mins. A brutal pack of forwards and the spine looks really strong. If Hodgson can bring any consistency, this is the side to challenge Saints & Wigan this year.

Huddersfield - poor start; no direction or control in attack. Sezer will transform this team and can see them being competitive in top 6.

Castleford - Really impressive performance; beyond expectations. I’d be surprised if they can sustain it over the season though. 

Warrington - perennial underachievers. Really poor. Surprise top side to struggle to make the top 6? They really can’t afford to lose Clark.

15 hours ago, Pete Grady said:

No mention of Salford...........that's the way we like it.

Congrats on your *checks notes* 23 point defeat. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

At this stage, I can only make one prediction. It's Warrington's year. 

Surely that's next year.

It's always been that way.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 minutes ago, Wire quin said:

Ball stripping will take time to settle

Moving the play the ball to the middle of the field is making the game repetitive, leave it to where the offence, mistake occurred and play from there. It's like American football.

Phil Clark has an article on SKY complaining about endless and contradictory and pointless rule changes.  And he is right.

Archived