Week 1 viewing figures

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The time slot and not clashing with football will have helped, but surely that’s not the first time thats been the case in 15 years? Do you think a game with say two of Salford, Leigh or Wakefield would ever attract viewing figures Catalans achieved in round 1?

Well probably because you despise those clubs and a few more besides, you most likely don't bother adding yourself to the number of people who watch these games, would I be correct in assuming the only viewing you will have of teams such as these is when they play Leeds Rhinos?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The time slot and not clashing with football will have helped, but surely that’s not the first time thats been the case in 15 years? Do you think a game with say two of Salford, Leigh or Wakefield would ever attract viewing figures Catalans achieved in round 1?

All would be higher in round 12

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

As I briefly mentioned, we are also still in a lockdown. People aren't out doing the things they would normally be doing on a Saturday afternoon. They are sat at home watching the TV.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

So that’s roughly 8k on average then, these increases are much greater than that. 

No, how do you work that out, you are only counting 1 fixture.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

20 minutes ago, Padge said:

No, how do you work that out, you are only counting 1 fixture.

Yeah, 8,000 per game, so if the average viewing figure per match has gone up by 56% that’s a heck of a lot more people than 8,000. Plus, many people who’d have gone to the game will be watching with family members who’d also go to the game (they count as one in Sky’s stats) and not everyone who would have gone to the game will have watched on tv. 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah, 8,000 per game, so if the average viewing figure per match has gone up by 56% that’s a heck of a lot more people than 8,000. Plus, many people who’d have gone to the game will be watching with family members who’d also go to the game (they count as one in Sky’s stats) and not everyone who would have gone to the game will have watched on tv. 

You are presuming that I am saying all the increase is down to that one factor. I didn't, I was adding something that didn't seem to have been mentioned to the other factors already mentioned.

I don't get your 8k per game, are you saying only one teams fans will watch a game. If on a Friday Wigan and Leeds are at home then you are looking at 20k + possible viewers who are now available to watch the TV games (note possible).

You also have pubs closed, so people who would gather in pubs to watch the game may be paying for particular games at home.

The article also states that the figures were 56% up on the average for 2020. season So they are comparing 6 games against an average of 4 games per weekend normally.

match audiences over the entire weekend were up 56% on the 2020 average.

That is comparing an absolute figure for 6 games against an average over a season.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It's a good stat, but quite a lot of factors in our favour that mean it should have been a good audience:

- People are mostly sat at home

- No fans at games

- International football weekend

- Between the Six Nations and cricket season

- Rugby on Main Event (partly thanks to reasons above)

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

It's a good stat, but quite a lot of factors in our favour that mean it should have been a good audience:

- People are mostly sat at home

- No fans at games

- International football weekend

- Between the Six Nations and cricket season

- Rugby on Main Event (partly thanks to reasons above)

Items 1 and 2 were the case last season, when viewing figures were a lot lower than last weekend. However you seen determined to find the cloud next to the silver lining. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Items 1 and 2 were the case last season, when viewing figures were a lot lower than last weekend. However you seen determined to find the cloud next to the silver lining. 

Would you like to read it again? These are good figures but I am holding my breath before I conclude that everyone has suddenly decided to fall in love with RL.

I think the Rugby League Takeover in the week preceding the kickoff helped as well. Certainly whet my appetite for last weekend's games.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Would you like to read it again? These are good figures but I am holding my breath before I conclude that everyone has suddenly decided to fall in love with RL.

I think the Rugby League Takeover in the week preceding the kickoff helped as well. Certainly whet my appetite for last weekend's games.

I did read it, I just don’t know why people are so desperate to find excuses for why the rise in viewing figures happened and why it’s all just a coincidence and won’t last. We all know it doesn’t mean viewing figures will be 56% up all year, but why not just enjoy some good news. RL fans really are the most miserable and negative lot. 

23 hours ago, MZH said:

As I briefly mentioned, we are also still in a lockdown. People aren't out doing the things they would normally be doing on a Saturday afternoon. They are sat at home watching the TV.

We were in lockdown for large parts of last season too. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I did read it, I just don’t know why people are so desperate to find excuses for why the rise in viewing figures happened and why it’s all just a coincidence and won’t last. We all know it doesn’t mean viewing figures will be 56% up all year, but why not just enjoy some good news. RL fans really are the most miserable and negative lot. 

Or to put it another way: people are looking at the context to see if there's anything that might work to keep those figures high or if there will be challenges ahead.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We were in lockdown for large parts of last season too. 

Well yes, but I reckon this was the first time we have had a perfect storm of a good Saturday afternoon time slot, no football or other major sports on, and the lockdown.

I aren't trying to put a negative spin on it, its great news that the figures are good and that more people were watching RL at the weekend. I just think its important to look at figures in context, understand them, and figure out how to make sure these people come back. Rather than just patting ourselves on the back and saying everything is great.

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Or to put it another way: people are looking at the context to see if there's anything that might work to keep those figures high or if there will be challenges ahead.

It’s not that though is it, as always people on this forum jump on or try to find negatives. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Do you want to have another go? These are good figures; let's see if there are conditions that were in our favour and whether we can try to make the most of those conditions in future if they are available. 

Archived