2025 RLWC to be held in France

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds promising. If that is to be the case I can see it been more like the 2017 tournament which had most games split between New Zealand and Australia as well as several group games in PNG. If France staged 2 groups, a quarter final, semi final and final, any other country/city in Europe could bid to host the other games.

1 minute ago, RP London said:

that would be lovely but experience tells me not to hold my breath!

The world 9s is the odd one for me. Its a weekend event that ostensibly is happening every 4 years? Just seems a bit odd.

Should be annual in some aspect imo.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The world 9s is the odd one for me. Its a weekend event that ostensibly is happening every 4 years? Just seems a bit odd.

I wonder whether that will become more obvious when the rest of the calendar starts to come out.. ie if there are tours planned or other comps planned does it become harder to schedule properly. Would be good to get something more regularly, may also give a little more weight to the argument of having it in the commonwealth games if it was a more regular occurrence and showing potential popularity. (also it becomes something for non traditional countries to look at if there is more regularity, the RU 7s world circuit certainly did that for their "lesser" nations).

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Being cynical, because I know Rugby League, it probably will. However, it shouldn’t really. You’d hope there would be something annually or every other year that can be used as tournaments but also qualifiers to place in the 2023 Nines World Cup. 

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

I wonder whether that will become more obvious when the rest of the calendar starts to come out.. ie if there are tours planned or other comps planned does it become harder to schedule properly. Would be good to get something more regularly, may also give a little more weight to the argument of having it in the commonwealth games if it was a more regular occurrence and showing potential popularity. (also it becomes something for non traditional countries to look at if there is more regularity, the RU 7s world circuit certainly did that for their "lesser" nations).

Yeah the scope for 9s as I see it is definitely more towards increasing the international breadth of the game. Minor nations need fewer good players and the games are short enough that any potential blowouts are limited by time. 9s, unlike union 7s, would also allow players who are forwards to compete too, strengthening the smaller nations further.

The calendar propose makes no sense unless there are at least four Super League clubs from France, including one from Paris, by 2025. That is because the venues for WC games must have a local club fan base in place. However we know that there will not be four French SL clubs by 2025. And that means holding the WC competition in France will be a flop.

Just now, Manfred Mann said:

The calendar propose makes no sense unless there are at least four Super League clubs from France, including one from Paris, by 2025. That is because the venues for WC games must have a local club fan base in place. However we know that there will not be four French SL clubs by 2025. And that means holding the WC competition in France will be a flop.

I agree that a French 2025 world cup should really be part of a wider strategy for France.

3 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Are you saying the people of, say, Avignon wouldn't turn out for the World Cup because Avignon isn't in Super League?  

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree that a French 2025 world cup should really be part of a wider strategy for France.

Which should include Toulouse joining Catalans in Superleague  and the strengthening of Elite 1

12 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Good idea, a team in Paris would probably work 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Are you saying the people of, say, Avignon wouldn't turn out for the World Cup because Avignon isn't in Super League?  

They’d be more interested in the World Cup than the population of Sydney were for the last one.

24 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why four? That is a number you have just plucked from thin air.

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Which should include Toulouse joining Catalans in Superleague  and the strengthening of Elite 1

I think the model that this year's tournament has set is one we should be aiming for every time. Government funding to reduce the risk around actually staging the event, and then legacy investment.

People need to stop seeing SL as the end game - if the French game could secure millions to invest in the grassroots and the publicity of staging a major RL tournament, then that is a great thing.

Capacity wise, we’ve two stadiums apiece in Perpignan and Toulouse, Avignon, Carcassonne and then RU/football stadiums  in places like Lyon, Marseille, Toulon etc that can host games. I don’t necessarily thing we need to think about having games in any other country should this happen. 

1 minute ago, bird said:

Give the French a breather. They already have the Union World Cup in 2023 and the Olympics in 2024.

Perfect time to do it, like the decade of sport here in the 10's

Archived