2025 RLWC to be held in France

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be really good for the game in France to host the 2025 World Cup, the French came up with the Idea and hosted the inaugural one in 1954. Would help the profile of the sport and grow grassroots in France. Obviously need French government support for 2025 to make it happen but part of a positive marketing campaign should mention the resilience of the game to survive Vichy after WW2. As others have mentioned Perpignan, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Albi and Avignon have all proven in recent years there capable of drawing crowds to rugby league games of 8,000 - 18,000.

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

This. 1000%. What’s happened has happened, it wasn’t nice in some parts, it was pretty grim in others but it’s happened. Let’s have confidence in our ability rather than constantly dragging others into it. 

That goes for this year's World Cup too. No need to bang on about how league's better than yawnion (even though we all know it down to our toes). No need to mention yawnion at all, really. Just let the ball do the work.  

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That goes for this year's World Cup too. No need to bang on about how league's better than yawnion (even though we all know it down to our toes). No need to mention yawnion at all, really. Just let the ball do the work.  

Yeah no need to mention any other sport, just the Victory of Rugby a Treize surviving a ban by the NAZI backed Vichy government and Celebrating it still being played today in France, with a world cup held in France.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Agree. 

There's more than enough evidence over time to show that this "league vs union" stuff just doesn't land with the general public. Even when you consider the comments from Gavin Henson in recent weeks; it's great that we have positive comments around RL from someone with his profile, but positioning RL against RU doesn't serve much, if any, purpose. No Welsh RU fan is going to swap their RU ticket for an RL one on the basis of Henson's comments, and the general public would look at an RU international on TV vs an RL game, and wonder "if you're that much better, why are you only selling a quarter of the tickets at a third of the price?". 

Sell RL's strengths on the basis of RL's strengths. Don't sell them on the basis of RU's deficiencies - either on or off the field. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Places in France that have staged 10k+ RL events in the last 20 years or so:

Perpignan

Toulouse

Lens

Avignon

Albi

Paris

Carcassonne

This gives you a decent starting point before you start to spread your wings and tap into other event cities.

You missed out Agen

52 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Agree. 

There's more than enough evidence over time to show that this "league vs union" stuff just doesn't land with the general public. Even when you consider the comments from Gavin Henson in recent weeks; it's great that we have positive comments around RL from someone with his profile, but positioning RL against RU doesn't serve much, if any, purpose. No Welsh RU fan is going to swap their RU ticket for an RL one on the basis of Henson's comments, and the general public would look at an RU international on TV vs an RL game, and wonder "if you're that much better, why are you only selling a quarter of the tickets at a third of the price?". 

Sell RL's strengths on the basis of RL's strengths. Don't sell them on the basis of RU's deficiencies - either on or off the field. 

RU fans generally are more averse to watching RL than I think RL fans are to watch RU. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

RU fans generally are more averse to watching RL than I think RL fans are to watch RU. 

In my experience it’s the complete opposite, I guess it just depends on people you’ve met, age etc. I don’t know any Union fans with a pathological hatred of league, most (if pressed) will admit it’s a good game. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

In my experience it’s the complete opposite, I guess it just depends on people you’ve met, age etc. I don’t know any Union fans with a pathological hatred of league, most (if pressed) will admit it’s a good game. 

I think if there are issues it's more to do with *certain elements* within league fandom insisting on ideological purity and expecting a tearful apology for all issues between the 1895 schism and the end of shamateurism. Turns people who just casually enjoy a bit of rugby union off to be told they're basically Nazis.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You think RL fans are more averse to watching RU? I find it the complete opposite and the only reason most RL fans watch it is to slag it off or say how dull it is and how superior we are as a sport. That’s up to them, of course but it’s a bit weird. 

As you say, RU fans generally don’t mind RL and think it’s pretty entertaining. I know very few RL fans who say similar about RU. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

You think RL fans are more averse to watching RU? I find it the complete opposite and the only reason most RL fans watch it is to slag it off or say how dull it is and how superior we are as a sport. That’s up to them, of course but it’s a bit weird. 

As you say, RU fans generally don’t mind RL and think it’s pretty entertaining. I know very few RL fans who say similar about RU. 

I think we’re saying the same thing then, I thought you were saying League fans are more likely to watch Union than the other way around. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think you might be using the word 'averse' incorrectly here. "having a strong dislike of or opposition to something"

So, if I read it how I think it should be read then "RU fans generally are more averse to watching RL than I think RL fans are to watch RU" would mean "RU fans generally have a stronger dislike of watching RL than RL fans have of watching RU".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That may be true at yours HW!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

A little more context around the current position:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56578333

So informal discussions at present and looking to formally engage with the French Govt shortly.

The fact that our World Cup Trophy is named after a Frenchman, Paul Barriere, described as a "French Rugby League visionary", has got to be worth something if the IRL are negotiating with the French Government to come on board.

I`d be prominently displaying that in negotiations, just like although I don`t follow union I sure know what the Webb Ellis trophy is.

Disappointed with some of the new guy's comments. 

He said the Ashes won't be played in 2022 as "Traditionally, countries like a lighter year of content following a World Cup" - but then goes on to say that NZ may provide opposition to England. So what he means is the Aussies don't want to play after a World Cup. 

He then talks about being pragmatic and compromising with the 2 pro leagues, and declares that he spoke to all the NRL clubs before landing on the position of scrapping the mid-year tests. Again, he is just being a puppet for the Aussie game.

This doesn't bode well, but let's see what follows. It looks like more of the same.

27 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

A little more context around the current position:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56578333

So informal discussions at present and looking to formally engage with the French Govt shortly.

Good article and a positive sign. The French seen as strategic... like that language too; let’s hope the powers in Manchester/Leeds agree. 

The biggest positive though is the people named in the article. The profile of both individuals is very interesting and very different to what we’ve been used to i.e. Wood et al. There needs to be global look at the game; not just NRL-centric for those profiles to actually mean anything though.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He said the Ashes won't be played in 2022 as "Traditionally, countries like a lighter year of content following a World Cup" - but then goes on to say that NZ may provide opposition to England. So what he means is the Aussies don't want to play after a World Cup. 

He then talks about being pragmatic and compromising with the 2 pro leagues, and declares that he spoke to all the NRL clubs before landing on the position of scrapping the mid-year tests. Again, he is just being a puppet for the Aussie game.

This doesn't bode well, but let's see what follows. It looks like more of the same.

Same old story

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Where’s he said this?

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Where’s he said this?

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ashes-series-could-take-place-in-2023-in-10-year-plan-for-international-calendar/#:~:text=Grant says the 2020 Ashes,World Cup%2C” he said.

I'm not a fan of LRL, but this looks like a proper article rather than some of their content.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If this is announced and we don’t commit to playing France for the next ten years as a bare minimum, people need sacking. 

I’d go further and plan a 4 nations there in 2023.

Archived