NRL trip over 2 weekends

Lockdown dreaming maybe but hear me out 

I know someone who went for 3 nights to watch a Lions tour game down under (he's rich). Also my ex had an ex boyfriend who did a Sydney 4 night weekend trip 

Considering Thursday - week on Monday trip - 10 nights 2 weekends in Sydney and surroundings. Taking in a game each of the 8 Thurs- Sundays 

For those that know, If done over say August what would total costs look like (flights, hotels, games, transport, activities, booze, food) ? I'd probably do as much touristy stuff as possible Mon- Weds

I'm basically tapping  anyone up to do me an itinerary and costing 

Feel free to make smart a**se comments too 😁

The costs would vary so much the best way would be to fix a budget first. Look at the cheaper match tickets although the NRL isn't that expensive (around £15-20) each flights in August you will be luckily to be under £1000 and same again for accommodation. £3-4k region but that could vary if you are prepared to backpacker it or hotel it. 

2 minutes ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

The costs would vary so much the best way would be to fix a budget first. Look at the cheaper match tickets although the NRL isn't that expensive (around £15-20) each. Flights in August you will be luckily to be under £1000 and same again for accommodation. £3-4k region but that could vary if you are prepared to backpacker it or hotel it. 

The exchange rate is quite good at the moment but the like of Qantas you need a vaccine certificate for Covid to fly with them regardless of restrictions 

I did the Wigan Roosters World Club Challenge in 2014 on a 6 day turnaround, best trip of my life, so good that I did Wigan vs Hull in Wollongong and then Souths in Sydney on a 10 day turnaround in 2018, both amazing trips and next time planning on doing similar to yourself, NRL trip over two weekends would be great, go for it!

Costs wise was probably 2k for costs then budgeted £100 per day, saw me right from what I can remember, stayed in Darling Harbour Ibis both times, great place to stay.

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

7 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I did the Wigan Roosters World Club Challenge in 2014 on a 6 day turnaround, best trip of my life, so good that I did Wigan vs Hull in Wollongong and then Souths in Sydney on a 10 day turnaround in 2018, both amazing trips and next time planning on doing similar to yourself, NRL trip over two weekends would be great, go for it!

Costs wise was probably 2k for costs then budgeted £100 per day, saw me right from what I can remember, stayed in Darling Harbour Ibis both times, great place to stay.

Right now this makes it real as you've done it more than once 

I think in my head I was planning £3500 which seems about right from what you say

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Lockdown dreaming maybe but hear me out 

I know someone who went for 3 nights to watch a Lions tour game down under (he's rich). Also my ex had an ex boyfriend who did a Sydney 4 night weekend trip 

Considering Thursday - week on Monday trip - 10 nights 2 weekends in Sydney and surroundings. Taking in a game each of the 8 Thurs- Sundays 

For those that know, If done over say August what would total costs look like (flights, hotels, games, transport, activities, booze, food) ? I'd probably do as much touristy stuff as possible Mon- Weds

I'm basically tapping  anyone up to do me an itinerary and costing 

Feel free to make smart a**se comments too 😁

You could plan it around the Magic Weekend in May at Suncorp, that way you get to see all the teams and probably be part of a 40 000+ crowd at a Stadium which I believe is very good, ticket prices for the weekend are very reasonable as well.

Apparently the year before last there were stalls and events around the whole city celebrating League and the different clubs, they had a done a real job of it and there was a carnival atmosphere.

If you wanted to stay after that if you could catch a game at Bankwest, especially if it was a big game with a big crowd I believe that is very good as well. But it would keep your accommodation and other costs down if you just went to Magic Weekend.

n.b. I think Magic Weekend is an absolutely brilliant idea and thanks for introducing the concept.

Done it for the Grand Final in 2014.May have been three weeks because I took in some play off games., 2016 another 14 day trip and  Aussie v Kiwi and Dragons v Manly last year. 

Im lucky as accomodation was free in the Southern Highlands but yes its very doable.

Here is your rough  itinery on prices i have just looked at.

Looking at flights in august 1200-1300 quid with Quatar. 

Fly Wednesday 4th August arrive Thursday 5th evening.

Friday Parramatta v Bunnies

Saturday Roosters v Panthers at the SCG   Tickets a snip at 10 dollars to 30 dollars  https://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/ROOS2121/venues/SCG/performances/EROO0000021I/tickets

Sunday Bulldogs v Tigers

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Sydney free.

Thursday head down to Wollongong 

Friday 13th !!! Dragons v Panthers 

Saturday back up to Sydney for the Bunnies v Titans

Sunday Manly v Parramatta.

Monday 16th august fly home arrive Tuesday knackered .:-)

Six Grounds six games Nine teams .

Seven nights in Sydney 5th August to 12th August Back packers --loads to pick from . 37 pounds to 100 pounds for seven nights or a decent 2 7 3 star hotel 200- 300 for seven nights.

Two nights in Wollongong @150 pounds. Train return 55 bucks approx an hour and a half journey.

Back to Sydney for two nights back packers 20 quid or Ibis at the airport so your ready to go home 115 .

Flights 1300

6 x match tickets (30 bucks each middle to top range) 180 Bucks @ 100 pounds

Backpackers accomodation 120 or Hotels 550

So your budget using hotels @ 2000 costs leaving 1500 spending money.

Using backpackers @1600 costs leaving 1900 spends.

Easy .

Thank me later .-)

^ Good idea, but I would go for something like this:

8th July:  Manly vs Raiders @ Brookvale
9th July:  Rabbitohs vs Cowboys @ Stadium Australia
10th July:  Bulldogs vs Roosters @ Bankwest Stadium
11th July:  Sharks vs Warriors @ Shark Park

14th July:  STATE OF ORIGIN Game III, Stadium Australia

16th July:  Manly vs Dragons -OR- Gold Coast vs Eels if you are able to travel up to GC.
17th July:  Raiders vs Sharks @ Canberra Stadium
18th July:  Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs -OR- Brisbane vs Wests Tigers if able to travel (and if you chose the GC game on the Friday).

So, out of 11 days, there are only 3 Rugby League-less days, not bad hey?

11 hours ago, yanto said:

Done it for the Grand Final in 2014.May have been three weeks because I took in some play off games., 2016 another 14 day trip and  Aussie v Kiwi and Dragons v Manly last year. 

Im lucky as accomodation was free in the Southern Highlands but yes its very doable.

Here is your rough  itinery on prices i have just looked at.

Looking at flights in august 1200-1300 quid with Quatar. 

Fly Wednesday 4th August arrive Thursday 5th evening.

Friday Parramatta v Bunnies

Saturday Roosters v Panthers at the SCG   Tickets a snip at 10 dollars to 30 dollars  https://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/ROOS2121/venues/SCG/performances/EROO0000021I/tickets

Sunday Bulldogs v Tigers

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Sydney free.

Thursday head down to Wollongong 

Friday 13th !!! Dragons v Panthers 

Saturday back up to Sydney for the Bunnies v Titans

Sunday Manly v Parramatta.

Monday 16th august fly home arrive Tuesday knackered .:-)

Six Grounds six games Nine teams .

Seven nights in Sydney 5th August to 12th August Back packers --loads to pick from . 37 pounds to 100 pounds for seven nights or a decent 2 7 3 star hotel 200- 300 for seven nights.

Two nights in Wollongong @150 pounds. Train return 55 bucks approx an hour and a half journey.

Back to Sydney for two nights back packers 20 quid or Ibis at the airport so your ready to go home 115 .

Flights 1300

6 x match tickets (30 bucks each middle to top range) 180 Bucks @ 100 pounds

Backpackers accomodation 120 or Hotels 550

So your budget using hotels @ 2000 costs leaving 1500 spending money.

Using backpackers @1600 costs leaving 1900 spends.

Easy .

Thank me later .-)

Wow, feel like you should be invoicing me! Thanks Yanto

It's unlikely this year but I'm not completeky giving up hope. Next year a cert

12 hours ago, The Rocket said:

You could plan it around the Magic Weekend in May at Suncorp, that way you get to see all the teams and probably be part of a 40 000+ crowd at a Stadium which I believe is very good, ticket prices for the weekend are very reasonable as well.

Apparently the year before last there were stalls and events around the whole city celebrating League and the different clubs, they had a done a real job of it and there was a carnival atmosphere.

If you wanted to stay after that if you could catch a game at Bankwest, especially if it was a big game with a big crowd I believe that is very good as well. But it would keep your accommodation and other costs down if you just went to Magic Weekend.

n.b. I think Magic Weekend is an absolutely brilliant idea and thanks for introducing the concept.

I considered that and Origin but the times of year tricky 

Also I'd quite like to see as many of the grounds as possible 

Just enough time to do two weeks quarantine while watching the NRL on TV.

You’ll also have to get one of the rare spots to enter Australia within the extremely small quota currently permitted to enter the country.

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I considered that and Origin but the times of year tricky 

Also I'd quite like to see as many of the grounds as possible 

Yeah mate that crossed my mind and Wollongong is a beautiful ground by the sea and all, but I was also thinking that you might want the big match atmosphere that a full house Saturday night at Suncorp might offer. I had a look at Yantos schedule though and it includes some pretty handy match ups that should draw a good crowd so you could get the best of both worlds.

We took a couple of Pommies from Taunton to Shark Park years ago, we got grandstand seats because my mate was a sponsor, we walked in through the gates singing `Here we go Here we go here we go ` carrying on like real dills, all in good fun and we had a great afternoon all round drinking beer in the sun and watching the League.

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wow, feel like you should be invoicing me! Thanks Yanto

It's unlikely this year but I'm not completeky giving up hope. Next year a cert

Just waiting for Aussie to open up and I'm heading back ASAP.

If you get the chance take it. 

Awesome experience. 

I did 7 days in Aus (more like 10 with travel) for the Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne game before heading up to Sydney for the Wigan/Souths and Hull/St George matches.

Had so many people saying it was too far to go for that short a time ... absolutely loved it, brilliant trip! 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

23 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Right now this makes it real as you've done it more than once 

I think in my head I was planning £3500 which seems about right from what you say

Yes I would say so. it really turned my life perspective around, just going and doing it, never having been further than Spain before and Sydney is a wonderful city

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

Archived