Featherstone investigation

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

So they (a) breached lockdown in a non-trivial way, (b) played 12 ineligible players in a game, and (c) lied about the extent of (a).

Lose ~.67 points each for (a) and (c), and ~.06 points for every player who shouldn't have played under (b). Who could argue against that?

It is the greatest scandal in British legal history.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Don't you find it even a little bit sad that a club which was one of the strongest in the game and a byword for the qualities that made RL great is now breaking the law, cheating, lying and potentially putting people's lives and jobs at risk?

The actions of the club now if accurate are indeed pretty rubbish. A fan defending his team with what is solid credibility on why they deserve a shot is indeed sad; sad that 1000s of fans across all teams are just fed up. Im taking the 2 seperately. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

It's the "defend my club at all costs" mentality that isn't just a Fev issue, obviously. 

Just on Fev though, Ben Blackmore showed no sense of culpability or contrition when he was up before the beak earlier this year. Doesn't help the view from outside, nor does the investigations into another employee for issues not related to the club.

1 minute ago, DOGFATHER said:

Campbell took to social media to claim the only player in the bar that afternoon was Ferres. How are the RFL allowing him to remain within the sport, surely this is bringing the game into disrepute?

Well exactly, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out this has gone as well as it could for Fev given the circumstances.

On bringing the sport into disrepute, such is the small scale of the sport, the team, the league and the town, I doubt many people know enough to damage an infintessimally small reputation or bring it into disrepute. Sadly within the RFL community however, this reinforces the view of Fev as the village types not suited to the limelight.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35794/points-deduction-and-fine-for-featherstone-rovers--

The 12 players were either on (the later found) CCTV or they weren't? If they were, 2pts and a fine is pretty lenient. 

The club initially claimed that the only player who was present was the one who could be identified from the photographs – Brett Ferres, who was immediately stood down for 10 days and fined £250 for breaching the RFL’s Covid protocols. CCTV footage of all the attendees was said to be unavailable.

With the club failing to fully cooperate with the early stages of the RFL investigation, Rovers were able to field a virtual full-strength team against Batley the following Friday. But CCTV footage of the illegal 27 March gathering later obtained by the police showed 23 people present, including 12 players who played in the 28-18 defeat of Batley on 2 April.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Well exactly, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out this has gone as well as it could for Fev given the circumstances.

On bringing the sport into disrepute, such is the small scale of the sport, the team, the league and the town, I doubt many people know enough to damage an infintessimally small reputation or bring it into disrepute. Sadly within the RFL community however, this reinforces the view of Fev as the village types not suited to the limelight.

Village types not suited to the limelight.. this is incredibly insulting. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

4 hours ago, Colin James said:

By deducted two points do they mean had a win scrubbed off their %? Points are meaningless this season aren't they?

No and yes. After London were deducted 2 pts the RFL put out a statement saying that win% was the % of points you have from the total you could have got (with the usual 2pts for a win, 1pt for a draw)

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

They won't play each other in the playoffs unless its the final if they both finish in the top 2 so only affect will be where the game is played.

How do the playoffs work? Presumably if we cant get to France, itll be in England?

13 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Village types not suited to the limelight.. this is incredibly insulting. 

I think the whole game have been insulted by Featherstone RLFC's actions, firstly for the breach and then trying to deny it ever happened

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I think the whole game have been insulted by Featherstone RLFC's actions, firstly for the breach and then trying to deny it ever happened

Cant argue with that, a bit of hyperbole, but fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

How do the playoffs work? Presumably if we cant get to France, itll be in England?

Wk 1: 3v6, 4v5

Wk 2: 1v , 2v winners of wk 1 games (with presumably 1v lowest ranking team from wk1, although I've not seen this confirmed one way or the other?)

Wk 3: winners of wk 2 games

I suspect the final venue won't be announced until it is known what travel restrictions will (or are likely to) be in force at the time of the game.

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Wk 1: 3v6, 4v5

Wk 2: 1v , 2v winners of wk 1 games (with presumably 1v lowest ranking team from wk1, although I've not seen this confirmed one way or the other?)

Wk 3: winners of wk 2 games

I suspect the final venue won't be announced until it is known what travel restrictions will (or are likely to) be in force at the time of the game.

Lovely, ta. So realistically, its Fev v Toulouse in a venue yet to be confirmed. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Any chance of just a week of good news for the sport...? Also, why fight it. Just say "we accept the decision and will be providing no further comment". I.e, it´s done, move on. 

Exactly. Of course, in their heart-oof-hearts they don't believe they've done anything wrong.

Featherstone Rovers are deeply disappointed with the RFL's outcome from its investigation into an alleged social gathering at the club in March of this year," the club said in its own statement.

"The outcome is particularly disappointing given that the club had satisfied both West Yorkshire Police's investigation and a local authority hearing, both of whom conceded that the club had not knowingly been uncooperative.

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Lovely, ta. So realistically, its Fev v Toulouse in a venue yet to be confirmed. 

Gonna be a big disheartening, motivational effect on the organisation, players and fans, aside from the deductions and monetary aspects. I'd say it now isn't nailed on for those two to be in the Promotion Final. 

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Gonna be a big disheartening, motivational effect on the organisation, players and fans, aside from the deductions and monetary aspects. I'd say it now isn't nailed on for those two to be in the Promotion Final. 

It should be, apart from a 10k fine, no real punishment. It should galvanise the team, it will the fans!! 

Couple of posts/responses removed.

To reiterate a long standing rule on these forums... if you want to discuss, complain or argue about government rules relating to pandemic management, lockdowns, vaccination policy etc, do it in the politics sub forum, not in the RL sections.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

So they (a) breached lockdown in a non-trivial way, (b) played 12 ineligible players in a game, and (c) lied about the extent of (a).

Lose ~.67 points each for (a) and (c), and ~.06 points for every player who shouldn't have played under (b). Who could argue against that?

Don't forget that this was also a time when Covid was going through the population like wildfire and vaccinations had only begun to properly roll out.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

29 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Exactly. Of course, in their heart-oof-hearts they don't believe they've done anything wrong.

Featherstone Rovers are deeply disappointed with the RFL's outcome from its investigation into an alleged social gathering at the club in March of this year," the club said in its own statement.

"The outcome is particularly disappointing given that the club had satisfied both West Yorkshire Police's investigation and a local authority hearing, both of whom conceded that the club had not knowingly been uncooperative.

It does make you wonder at the sudden exits of two senior executives of their own volition. Is/was there an internal culture that they could no longer tolerate?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived