Sky Sports Commentary Changes?

We got 6 good games of Rugby League last weekend.

What spoiled it a little was the slightly tired Sky Sports style of commentary and accompanying punditry.

Mr Carney is quite good as the host and Jenna Brooks is excellent with her post match interview section but the rest of the team are relying on the old school formula which goes back beyond Eddie & Stevo.

Is it not possible to have a commentary mute button for viewers back on the settee?

Something that allows the background noise of the match without detracting from the game.

We could just get the odd subtitle at the foot of the screen with try, sub & ref decision info. This could give the audience a break from the more repetitive periods of commentary.

I'm sure everyone on the gantry is doing their best and yes there are some golden moments but I get the feeling they need a new approach with fresh objectives for the viewing (listening) experience.

When you experience the excellent commentary package the NRL gets it highlights how our team could try a new fresher approach.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I've never understood why Sky need so many when the NFL manages with two voices, and for years we just had Eddie and Stevo.

I loved Eddie and stevo 

You never realise how good you have it until its gone 

Everyone realises that the two clowns are utterly useless except Skt Sports apparently. Frankly they are an embarrassment to rugby league but for whatever reason we seem stuck with them. The guy Ben Proe ? can barely speak.

Far too many people,talking mainly absolute drivel. Very few neutrals will put up with such cheap,shoddy presentation. However,the games are good entertainment.

You can draw a family tree from Eddie Waring to Baz ‘n’ Tez. They are descendants of Waring’s ‘knockabout’ commentary. 

But times have changed. I think sports fans want insight, not ‘Oof, that were a massive hit, that’. 

I also think Bill Arthur is well past his prime. Surely we can do better as the leading Super League commentator?

Surprised this has got so far without mentioning that poor man's Garth Crooks, Phil Clarke, he adds absolutely nothing to the coverage, if he is supposed to be the 'insight' part of the coverage he fails miserably. As the butt of Carney's poor jokes he fails also because they seem to go over his head, he doesn't strike you as someone with a sense of humour in fact he doesn't make any impression at all, Mr. No personality is the best description.

38 minutes ago, OL14.yeds said:

Don’t mind ‘Baz and Tez’ but I have to say, the play-by-play commentator who did Leigh vs Wigan last weekend (Ben Proe?) is properly poor. It’s a difficult job for sure, but he’s nowhere near good enough.

Yes, he got too hysterical and lost his voice.  Hopefully he can calm down.  I do not see what extra Ms Brooks adds... But then again in all sports I do not think any instant interview adds much.

Otherwise on the whole I think the usual comments on here are just massaging prejudices.   The layout could be better, but not much so compared to when the BBC football team review on site.   What is a bit poor is that SKY do not have a RL magazine programme and the BBC one is a bit average.

I don't think the team is too bad at the moment - I actually like Stuart Pike commentating, he's got quite a distinctive voice which I think fits in well.

I think Jenna Brookes is great in the role she plays, she's clearly knowledgable and passionate about the sport.

I'd like to see more of Courtney Hill (oooo er) thought she was excellent as a guest - Greg Inglis the day before not so much!

I could be wrong here but I'm sure Ive heard Sean Briscoe commentating on Our League? he was excellent. As long as they keep Eorl Crabtree away from commentating, he's terrible - Sorry Eorl!

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Surprised this has got so far without mentioning that poor man's Garth Crooks, Phil Clarke, he adds absolutely nothing to the coverage, if he is supposed to be the 'insight' part of the coverage he fails miserably. As the butt of Carney's poor jokes he fails also because they seem to go over his head, he doesn't strike you as someone with a sense of humour in fact he doesn't make any impression at all, Mr. No personality is the best description.

"Well, you know Bill, in the last <arbritrary time period I've pulled out of my backside>, the <insert team> have managed to <insert contextually irrelevant thing> <insert number of occasions contextually irrelevant thing has happened> times. I guess we're about to find out if <reference previous statistical trend> will continue in this next <insert length of game time remaining>...." 

EVERY.
GOD.
DAMN.
WEEK.

Ben Proe is horrendous. Monotone, unenthused and just woefully bad at providing decent commentary. 

I defend Sky a lot when it comes to people having digs about production etc, but the commentary is the bare minimum that needs to be on point to really show off the game! Whilst the NRL is naturally better quality the SL, the way the games are called adds to it massively as well. 

I watched a game down under with Cronk summarising and in a minute he gave a detailed insight into what a team was doing in attack and what they were going to do next ... which they did . Succinct , detailed analysis and only two voices . I thought sky would make  changes but sadly not 

I tend not to get my knickers in a twist about commentary teams. I much prefer to focus on the game itself. I can’t say I am particularly excited/bored by any individual presenter. I understand for some it might be more important though. 

Everyone and anyone in the world is a distant 2nd fiddle to Andrew Voss IMO. 

I’m not a fan of any of the rotating cast of commentators if I’m honest. I think Super League has in less than 10 years gone from having one of the most distinctive sounds and presentations, to being middle of the road at best. 

If they haven’t already then I’m surprised they haven’t tried to take a couple of the bbc team to sky. I think Dave Woods is better than any of the 3 on sky, and the pundits have a fair combination of character but also with a bit of nouse.

Honestly never thought 10-15 years ago I’d be saying I preferred the bbc coverage to Sky but there we go

Sky keep touting the 'continual improvement' requirement for our game. If they are genuine about the process surely it's time they got their own house in order.

Mr Pike, Terry & Phil need a quiet relaxing retirement in the top meadow.

Bill Arthur can be retained as commentator for secondary matches with Mr Proe on call for emergencies or Magic Weekend relief.

The obvious primary task is for Sky to splash the cash on a good quality NRL caller. This would involve a resettlement package so it wouldn't be cheap. To replace Eddie & Stevo with the Market Seconds currently in the job simply hasn't worked.

I also think a second stage of improvement could look at employing knowledgeable personalities from the game to sit with Mr Carney. This could be in a similar style to what we get with Souness, Keane & Carragher at the football. My favourite choices would be Mose Masoe, Leon Pryce & Gary Schofield.

It has been fine in the games I've seen so far to be honest. Not noticed anything to get mad about, and don't think Proe is as bad as people say.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It has been fine in the games I've seen so far to be honest. Not noticed anything to get mad about, and don't think Proe is as bad as people say.

Although as I pressed 'send', an odd moment where Carney asked Wilkin a question and then cut him off as he tried to answer it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived