Sky Sports Commentary Changes?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d move heaven n earth to get John Helm out of retirement, he’s a Rugby League man and one of the top commentators in the world! John Helm would increase the professionalism of everyone else on the SKY team and would certainly make their broadcasts more watchable (listenable)

Personally I think the commentary team are rather biased. It comes across that Catalans are not worthy of being in the lead..

Footnote: Glad NRL coverage kept mentioning Mose Mosie they have raised over $50,000 Aus this weekend so far !!!!

On 01/04/2021 at 17:18, DavidM said:

I watched a game down under with Cronk summarising and in a minute he gave a detailed insight into what a team was doing in attack and what they were going to do next ... which they did . Succinct , detailed analysis and only two voices . I thought sky would make  changes but sadly not 

Are you trying to say Cooper Cronk has more insight into rugby league than Bill Arthur? 

You've gone too far this time marra

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’d move heaven n earth to get John Helm out of retirement, he’s a Rugby League man and one of the top commentators in the world! John Helm would increase the professionalism of everyone else on the SKY team and would certainly make their broadcasts more watchable (listenable)

John's doing the Sheffield v Bradford game tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Bill Arthur and Cooper Cronk both do different jobs.

Oh, don't spoil it. You know we don't want English players summarising/presenting/commentating, but we do want Aussie ones doing just that. We don't like the English joking about, but we love the Aussie banter. I can think of nothing better than Cooper Cronk calling Hull KR v Leigh to liven it up for those who tuned in for the commentary and not the game. Not. 

Ben 'on this gwound' Proe is really really hard to listen to, he seems to lose track of whats happening in the game, probably due to O'Connor's constant monotone talking, then can't seem to get his words out, the whole production comes across as 'make-do' and amateur.

9 hours ago, OMEGA said:

A cameo for Sheffield Eagles is one thing but he's nearly 79. Give me strength. 

11 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

I thought so too.  Very articulate.

There are plenty out there who speak well. The OurLeague games would be perfect to give them the experience rather than throw them onto Sky, and much better than the likes of Wagga.

On 03/04/2021 at 13:37, OMEGA said:

It would also take me back to Monday mornings in the late 80's watching the previous nights recorded scrumdown with the dulcet tones of Messrs. Helm and Watkins!

3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

There are plenty out there who speak well. The OurLeague games would be perfect to give them the experience rather than throw them onto Sky, and much better than the likes of Wagga.

I do think there are some really articulate, knowledgeable and interesting guests the broadcasters can and probably should use more often.

As much as Barrie, Terry, Phil are passionate about the sport, they don't seem very articulate and just churn the same phrases out week after week ,Phil is slightly more articulate than the others but drones on and seems to want to try and court controversy, whether of his own doing or the producers?

It paints the image that RL is just for thick northerners who are too stupid to understand the intricacies of sport and just want the "shots" "biff" and "putting one on" people type of stuff, I used to like Tony Rea, although he probably went into too much detail.

I want to know how and why a try or some other play came about which is why I don't mind Jon Wells so much.

Some of the analysers and guests are fresh, comfortable and good to listen to, like Ash yesterday, Kev Brown is good too as is Wilkin on the BBC, but the commentary is old, stale and sounds like something an amateur pub side would come up with for their facebook live video or something ( no disrespect intended).

I think these criticisms are over done... certainly compared to football commentators and RU.  They are all nothing special.  If RL commentators are not anything special they are in good company.

Mark Chapman is in a class of his own... although he does not 'call' the game.

4 hours ago, meast said:

I do think there are some really articulate, knowledgeable and interesting guests the broadcasters can and probably should use more often.

As much as Barrie, Terry, Phil are passionate about the sport, they don't seem very articulate and just churn the same phrases out week after week ,Phil is slightly more articulate than the others but drones on and seems to want to try and court controversy, whether of his own doing or the producers?

It paints the image that RL is just for thick northerners who are too stupid to understand the intricacies of sport and just want the "shots" "biff" and "putting one on" people type of stuff, I used to like Tony Rea, although he probably went into too much detail.

I want to know how and why a try or some other play came about which is why I don't mind Jon Wells so much.

Some of the analysers and guests are fresh, comfortable and good to listen to, like Ash yesterday, Kev Brown is good too as is Wilkin on the BBC, but the commentary is old, stale and sounds like something an amateur pub side would come up with for their facebook live video or something ( no disrespect intended).

When you say no disrespect intended, what did you instead intend by calling these professionals pub Facebook commentators?

8 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think these criticisms are over done... certainly compared to football commentators and RU.  They are all nothing special.  If RL commentators are not anything special they are in good company.

I think the word 'monotone' may well be heading into the 'RL woke dictionary' anytime soon. 

All our commentators talk far too much. It really isn't necessary on tv to say, 'Smith,to Brown,tackled by Green'. Just say relevant,intelligent and constructive comments,which add to the enjoyment of the game. Terry and Barry just talk for the sake of talking and add absolutely no value. I'm afraid their accents and tone are dire,whilst Terry only knows one adjective,'decent'. I cringe at what the neutrals must think.

Both Ash Golding and Jon Wilkin  add some insight. Proe ? is truely dreadful, Bill Arthur is a decent no 2 but not a lead commentator. At least the darts guy is a professional commentator and hasa distinctive style,the others are a bunch of amateurs,who appear to have had absolutely no professional training.

16 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm not comparing to football commentary, which, last time I watched football on TV was just as cliche riddled and mainly condescending.

But football isn't in desperate need of new audiences so it doesn't matter what the commentary is like, nor does it matter what the quality is like on the pitch, they don't need to sell their game to the masses, people already watch football, especially at the top level because of hype, marketing and money.

I just feel RL is missing the boat, there's lots more media savvy players, coaches, personalties out there now and we should be looking to utilise them, not sticking with the same tired voices that people have heard for the last 20,30 years.

We could even push the boat out and guests and summarisers outside ex Wigan players from the last 30 years too, people like Stuart Pearce, Ryan Giggs, even Wayne Rooney are RL fans, surely we could try and attract them and their ilk to do something?

16 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

When you say no disrespect intended, what did you instead intend by calling these professionals pub Facebook commentators?

I mean, no disrespect to amateur clubs and amateur broadcasters who don't have the technology and the clout that SKY has, what's hard to understand about that?

Archived