Sky Sports Commentary Changes?

13 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm not comparing to football commentary, which, last time I watched football on TV was just as cliche riddled and mainly condescending.

But football isn't in desperate need of new audiences so it doesn't matter what the commentary is like, nor does it matter what the quality is like on the pitch, they don't need to sell their game to the masses, people already watch football, especially at the top level because of hype, marketing and money.

I just feel RL is missing the boat, there's lots more media savvy players, coaches, personalties out there now and we should be looking to utilise them, not sticking with the same tired voices that people have heard for the last 20,30 years.

We could even push the boat out and guests and summarisers outside ex Wigan players from the last 30 years too, people like Stuart Pearce, Ryan Giggs, even Wayne Rooney are RL fans, surely we could try and attract them and their ilk to do something?

I think Rugby League's problem is far more about how to get people to tune in in the first place. I have never turned a game of RL off because of the commentary, but perhaps I am in the minority.

I am also totally biased, as I know how much many of the sky commentary team have gone out of their way to support community rugby league and grown an audience in that respect too. There's a bigger picture behind each of these people which is easy to completely miss. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/04/2021 at 11:26, Man of Kent said:

You can draw a family tree from Eddie Waring to Baz ‘n’ Tez. They are descendants of Waring’s ‘knockabout’ commentary. 

But times have changed. I think sports fans want insight, not ‘Oof, that were a massive hit, that’. 

I also think Bill Arthur is well past his prime. Surely we can do better as the leading Super League commentator?

This is the guy who pronounces Kristian Inu’s name as’Kris Nanny Noo!!

So, to avoid going round in circles, and just to be clear, here is what we are after:

A commentator who is either:

• an Australian, professional commentator, who has had speech and language therapy and holds a PhD in the dialectal pronunciation of Harry Slaithwaite and associated northern parochial terms

or

• a former player who can, following studying TV broadcasting as an add on module after First Team training sessions, time his gags so as not to get on the nerves of Dave and Shirley from Eccles, but doesn't say too much, except to explain a skill or tactic in a split second - all using Received Pronunciation

I will get the advert prepped. Be ready for the deluge.

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I think Rugby League's problem is far more about how to get people to tune in in the first place. I have never turned a game of RL off because of the commentary, but perhaps I am in the minority.

I am also totally biased, as I know how much many of the sky commentary team have gone out of their way to support community rugby league and grown an audience in that respect too. There's a bigger picture behind each of these people which is easy to completely miss. 

Again, I'm not dismissing the SKY team's rugby league credentials or questioning their desire or passion for the game, I just don't think they are conducive to attracting a new audience to the game, based on the commentary that we hear on SKY.

I've got no issues with any of them personally, just the commentary style.

I think it's about time we had a broad Yorkshire speaker as commentator, after all other dialects are accepted when commentating on various sports. At least you'll get a forthright commentary and none of the guff we hear now. A word of warning be very careful of your replies. I'm a fully paid up member of the PC brigade.

2 minutes ago, wasginger said:

I think it's about time we had a broad Yorkshire speaker as commentator, after all other dialects are accepted when commentating on various sports. At least you'll get a forthright commentary and none of the guff we hear now. A word of warning be very careful of your replies. I'm a fully paid up member of the PC brigade.

Brian ‘in relation to’ noble?

16 minutes ago, wasginger said:

I can't speyk!

On 05/04/2021 at 17:17, meast said:

I've got no issues with any of them personally, just the commentary style.

The style, at the minute, reminds me of those podcasts which could be quite good but, instead, run on for over ninety minutes because they keep in all the in-jokes, digressions and chuckles to themselves. Which is fine - for them - but gets a bit less interesting for everyone else.

What the podcast needs is an editor.

What Sky need is a competent producer keeping the talking heads - who clearly do know their stuff - talking about the game, what they're seeing, what's interesting (etc), and less about the bantz.

Oh and, unrelated, start the games on time. That'd be nice.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The style, at the minute, reminds me of those podcasts which could be quite good but, instead, run on for over ninety minutes because they keep in all the in-jokes, digressions and chuckles to themselves. Which is fine - for them - but gets a bit less interesting for everyone else.

What Sky need is a competent producer keeping the talking heads - who clearly do know their stuff - talking about the game, what they're seeing, what's interesting (etc), and less about the bantz.

Bantz are for idiots, generally. (Agree on overly long podcasts too.)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, I wish Big Picture would zoom in on this one. Ad break finishes about a minute after the scheduled kick-off time, quick run-through of the upcoming boxing/football, and then the players decide to start trotting out of the dressing rooms.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yep, I think that's what I find annoying, as I've said, I've got no issues with any of them personally, I actually think Barrie and Terry are funny blokes and the sketch thing they used to do on Boots'n'all was good, but that shouldn't be part of the commentary, I want the commentary to be fairly serious, fun sometimes, but I want it to appear professional and inclusive, not just apparently for thick northerners!

Quick reminder that you can watch a televised UK Rugby League game without daft bumbling commentary this weekend.

BBC have a Challenge Cup game on both Saturday and Sunday.

Such a welcome interlude after the absolutely shocking commentary pantomimes Sky burdened us with during last weekends SL Round 2 fixtures.

I'm seriously considering just watching NRL and Challenge Cup from now on.

Sky Sports Rugby League are embarrassing 😡🤪🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Quick reminder that you can watch a televised UK Rugby League game without daft bumbling commentary this weekend.

Such a welcome interlude after the absolutely shocking commentary pantomimes Sky burdened us with during last weekends SL Round 2 fixtures.

Just turn the sound down and put some music on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Good effort from the BBC today I think.

They have three in 'the studio' in Shaun Wane, Jodie Cunningham and Jon Wilkin and then Jamie Peacock, Jonathan Davies and John Kear on the games.

They may not all be everybody's cup of tea but as a group they are putting the Sky expert panels in the shade.  

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The problem with SKY is that commentators are picked to play certain northern stereotypical roles as part of the production. It's no coincidence that the two best on the SKY crew are Brian Carney, whose Irish brogue does go down well on TV and Jenna Brooks the aussie.

That's not to say that to the southern ear, northern vowels are unintelligible, although I am not a fan Jon Wilkin comes over well, So actually does John Kear and Dave Woods. The affable Mark Chapman as presenter hails from Rochdale.

The fact that BBC coverage is superior proably reflects the fact that it is a national broadcaster catering for a UK wide audience, as opposed to a pay TV provider presenting a niche sport - Which incidentally does not feature that much in it's advertising recently, if anyone has been paying attention.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 08/04/2021 at 09:51, Ramon Rojo said:

not seen any games on sky in a long while? your saying it's worse than the bbc?

watched the cc games yesterday on bbc and then this morn watched panthers v raiders 

in comparison to sum it up - a town hall pantomime production v a hollywood blockbuster 

no wonder people are attracted to the game down under and we struggle so much here.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived