Sat 3 Apr: SL: Salford Red Devils v Hull FC KO 12:15 (TV)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/04/21 at 11:45

I feel a bit sorry for Elijah Taylor, he’s been sold on the Salford team that was Coached by Ian Watson and has reached 2 major finals in the last 2 years. Unfortunately that’s not the Salford he’s playing for and while he will no doubt give everything it’s only going to get him busted up in this current Salford team.

Hull look like they are shaping up for a genuine tilt at something special in the Superleague and could(on this form) rattle the usual suspects.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Oxford said:

No point debating this one as far as I can see every journo and his wife have gone for 'ull upon Kingston on this match.

Hardly worth turning up then!

Seems like that was about right.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Seems like that was about right.

Worse and like "Back to the Past" of a decade or more ago. Even the perenially optimistic and totally resigned SRD fans are doubtful now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

34 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Player in possession feels he’s in a compromised position where the odds are he’ll lose ground so goes to ground without a defender touching him.

Been a while since I've read the laws of the game but the wording used to say where a payer "deliberately and unnecessarily" goes to ground. I think the "unnecessarily" part is the key to understanding the ref's interpretation. You can't expect a player to make himself an easy target when he's picked up a loose ball. No ref in the game would have called that as a voluntary tackle.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I don't think Salford are as bad as some believe they are. Clearly they are not a patch on last year though. Leigh appear to be somewhat behind the rest of the pack and I don't think Wakey and Hull KR are better than the current Salford team. Time will tell as the season builds and injuries become an important factor.  

Good start to the season for us, but not completely convinced just yet. We've not been challenged much yet so don't know what we're made if under pressure at the moment. Hull sides are notorious for collapsing when the heat is on. I will reserve judgement on how good a side we are just yet.

Reynolds looks a great addition though. And Connor in a consistent position can only be a good thing.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Been a while since I've read the laws of the game but the wording used to say where a payer "deliberately and unnecessarily" goes to ground. I think the "unnecessarily" part is the key to understanding the ref's interpretation. You can't expect a player to make himself an easy target when he's picked up a loose ball. No ref in the game would have called that as a voluntary tackle.

Your wording is correct, the key is staying down when play is called. I have seen the same situation where the ref has called play on and the tackled man just got to his knees and start crawling forward forcing the defender to tackle him. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I know its early days but Marshall looks out of his depth as a 1st team coach, seems cautious and does not want players like Escare (who cant even get in the side) and Sarginson to express themselves instead of playing them to their strengths, also the pack looks below par and injuries to Mossop and Ikahihifo would leave them quite threadbare, can see Salford and Marshall doing a "mutual consent" before the year is out and Salford going for a coach with some pedigree. 

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

In fairness to Salford and Marshall, first two games have been against the two best sides in the competition so far: Saints and Hull. 

Do I detect a little bit of fishing here?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Oops

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, DG70 said:

I know its early days but Marshall looks out of his depth as a 1st team coach, seems cautious and does not want players like Escare (who cant even get in the side) and Sarginson to express themselves instead of playing them to their strengths, also the pack looks below par and injuries to Mossop and Ikahihifo would leave them quite threadbare, can see Salford and Marshall doing a "mutual consent" before the year is out and Salford going for a coach with some pedigree. 

Is Marshall trying to play the grind game by copying Woolf’s tactics but he hasn’t got the player’s to do that ?. 

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Not as much as in your Warrington's year thread 😂

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Tbf he said in the competition so far, and he's probably right (along with Cas who have also impressed). Wigan will be there or thereabouts but haven't looked totally convincing yet against two poor teams.

I might have been called deluded when I said it at the start of the thread, but I really do think this is a different Hull FC under Hodgson. I always try to be positive about my club, but I'm also realistic and I try to base my thoughts on what I actually see. I don't just blindy praise them, in fact I can be very critical sometimes. I also appreciate that we haven't really been challenged yet. But this year there seems to be a different attitude towards doing the little things right, especially in defence. The kick chase, the line speed, getting that extra man in to the tackle, the communication between the backs. 

Even when things aren't quite working for us I feel like we will be a very hard nut to crack this year.

Archived