Fri 2 Apr-Sun 4 Apr: Betfred Championship Week 1 Match Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the Newcastle team taken from their website (lots of Widnes & Runcorn connections!)

Newcastle Thunder squad
v Widnes Vikings - Sunday 4th April - KO 17:15
FROM

1 Lewis Young 2 Jack Johnson 3 Matty Wright 4 Kieran Gill 5 Calum Turner 6 Jake Shorrocks 7 Josh Woods 8 Nathan Wilde 10 Mikey Wood 11 Ukuma Ta’ai 12 Sam Wilde 13 Liam McAvoy 14 Evan Simons 15 Ted Chapelhow 16 Jay Chapelhow 17 Connor Bailey 18 Alex Clegg 19 Evan Hodgson 21 Reece Dean, 28 Cian Tyrer 33 Connor Aspey

Think Widnes wil have too much even though missing a few through Covid. Going for 12-26

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ive said it before but Bradford seemed to be putting a team together totally ignoring the new rules that would be in place this season. The speed of the game now is going to be much quicker than some of their players can handle.

I didn't think any championship team would put 50+ over Bradford. How wrong i was.

A few glitches for OurLeague this weekend (overall I think it's very good). Took some time for Friday's Fev/Batley game to reappear to be able to watch, and I was hoping to be able to pay to watch the York/Toulouse game tonight but it doesn't seem to be there when you click on the link. Seems to be pot luck as to when or whether games are available after they have taken place.

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

A few glitches for OurLeague this weekend (overall I think it's very good). Took some time for Friday's Fev/Batley game to reappear to be able to watch, and I was hoping to be able to pay to watch the York/Toulouse game tonight but it doesn't seem to be there when you click on the link. Seems to be pot luck as to when or whether games are available after they have taken place.

Looks like production is down to individual clubs, so time lags will be inconsistent 

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

A few glitches for OurLeague this weekend (overall I think it's very good).

My experience falls way below good I'm afraid. 

If rovers tv begin re-broadcasting, even on audio, I think I'll take that before using our league

Just now, Robin Evans said:

My experience falls way below good I'm afraid. 

If rovers tv begin re-broadcasting, even on audio, I think I'll take that before using our league

There does seem to be some inconsistencies out there. I haven’t had any issues streaming any of the games at all, barring the one that was an issue at source today

Newcastle 30 Widnes 30, still in play...

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

11 minutes ago, nathanfilkins said:

If we didn't have covid problems, I would send Doro back. I don't know how both got a yellow, how can you react to being dominated in a tackle by a strike to the face? Should have been a red for Doro and completely lost us that game imho.

How could he have lost the game when Widnes didn’t lose?

Sloppy defence throughout was the issue 

Fair play to Newcastle. Got a decent attacking structure there. Hopefully they’ll be challenging for the playoffs 

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How could he have lost the game when Widnes didn’t lose?

Sloppy defence throughout was the issue 

Fair play to Newcastle. Got a decent attacking structure there. Hopefully they’ll be challenging for the playoffs 

Sorry I meant lost us the win. I think the second half Widnes didn't even have a glimpse at newcastle's line, but we stood strong in defence, throwing them in touch a few times. Momentum shifted as soon as they both went off the field, newcastle had more spirit and full credit to them, I'm not moaning at the result. I'm just annoyed that anyone can act the way he did after such a great game and to represent the shirt I support. He tried to get violent in a tackle in the first half too. Would rather lose than have players like that on my team. But Newcastle did very well, I had us a 4 point winner, I knew it would be close, great first game back for the neutrals.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Horrible result for Bulls but with Broncos losing and Thunder drawing with Widnes,  there's eight teams in the hunt for the 6 playoff spots.  

Playoff Bankers: Fev, Toulouse and York

Final three (?) : Fax, Broncos, Widnes, Thunder, Bulls 

Just what the champ needs. 

So Batley run play-off bankers Fev close away from home and Bradford get a right thumping at 'no-hopers' Sheffield, but you are calling the Bulls above the two of them after 1 game? 

14 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

So Batley run play-off bankers Fev close away from home and Bradford get a right thumping at 'no-hopers' Sheffield, but you are calling the Bulls above the two of them after 1 game? 

Agree! All wild speculation and no form to go by at the moment. Not sure London will be that high and Batley already beat Halifax in the cup. I think there are a decent number of teams will be challenging for those 3-6 positions.

1 hour ago, nathanfilkins said:

If we didn't have covid problems, I would send Doro back. I don't know how both got a yellow, how can you react to being dominated in a tackle by a strike to the face? Should have been a red for Doro and completely lost us that game imho.

Well done Agent Doro 😃

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just working under general principle that higher wages will equal better finish. And its based on pre season prediction of top six  (Fev tou Lon York Wid Brad ) that Fax and Thunder might crash into.  Lets see where we are after 5 fixtures on Batley.

Quite a few Bradford supporters complaining about how their wage bill has been used on their forum.

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just working under general principle that higher wages will equal better finish. And its based on pre season prediction of top six  (Fev tou Lon York Wid Brad ) that Fax and Thunder might crash into.  Lets see where we are after 5 fixtures on Batley.

I’m quite looking forward to seeing where Bradford are after 5 games too. In fact, I think quite a few of us are. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Horrible result for Bulls but with Broncos losing and Thunder drawing with Widnes,  there's eight teams in the hunt for the 6 playoff spots.  

Playoff Bankers: Fev, Toulouse and York

Final three (?) : Fax, Broncos, Widnes, Thunder, Bulls 

Just what the champ needs. 

Sheffield just blew Bradford away, yet you've not included them as a potential but have done the Bulls?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived