Swinton(h) First League game

m brooksy

Great never say die attitude from the Yeds even when we went down ten points to some bad decisions.

One thing that really concerned me yesterday was the constant talking and questioning the ref's decisions by almost every player. I thought the only player who could talk to the ref. was the captain. I felt some pity for him yesterday but not too much!

A  week off and then Batley away - easy-peesey!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically, it was back chat from Swinton which caused them to be pushed back a further 10 meters, and gave us an easier kick at goal to go 8 points up.

I enjoyed watching Dupree wrap up the Swinton fullback from the behind as he tried to square up to an Oldham player after the whistle. The man in the Fruit Salad-coloured kit didn’t appreciate it as much. 😂

This was a mega win, psychologically, for us for a number of reasons.  How often, in the past,  have we been scratching and scraping for that first win? Were we would go so close against a similarly ranked team only to fall short, then the worry of having a top team to play. We also overcame a number of set backs, last minute change, possibly due to injury, then a reshuffle due to the charnock injury, Owen put at half back!!? Inspired.

A man down, they scored but so did we in that 10 minute spell. Happened against barrow as well.

To go 10 ponts down and come back, sensational. Not forgetting Nilling them in the second half.

Reading the pre season threads, Swinton, and others,  thought we were the whipping boys. Can't wait for the batley game. Come on OLDHAM. 

Good confidence boosting win but still with room for improvement and nice to see the ball getting a bit more width compared to the Naylor years. Can see how Diskin is trying to bring Abram more into the line and I thought he had one of his best games.
Still need to improve our last tackle plays and  kicking though and thought Fieldhouse made a good point about how we could have cross field to target Lepori.  2 points in our mini league is a great start !

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sorry, but you are wrong. A penalty try, awarded for a try-scoring opportunity being deliberately denied, results in just one kick from in front of the posts; a try which is scored whilst foul play was being committed earns an extra kick at goal, once again from in front of the posts. These are quite different.

Yes you are correct, sorry my mistake.                  

The ref deemed he had scored hence the kick under the post and awarding a penalty. If an opponent fouls a player denying them what would have most likely been a try then a penalty try is awarded. The kick at the point of where the try would have been scored and one under the sticks hence the term ‘potential’ 8 point try

11 hours ago, ausroughyed said:

The ref deemed he had scored hence the kick under the post and awarding a penalty. If an opponent fouls a player denying them what would have most likely been a try then a penalty try is awarded. The kick at the point of where the try would have been scored and one under the sticks hence the term ‘potential’ 8 point try

Errm, no, but close.

A penalty try (awarded when the tryscoring is prevented by foul means) results in one attempt at goal from in front of the posts. A foul committed when a try is being scored (not a penalty try) results in an additional penalty being awarded in front of the posts, so two kicks at goal.

<A pedantic issue I know, but I am one>

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Once played in a game when the opposition were nine points behind and the ref awarded them a penalty try in the final minutes.

Once they kicked the first goal, which was under the sticks in any case, he then awarded the penalty in front of the sticks and allowed them to take a tap penalty! 

Not happy!

40 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Think it's fairly straight forward,  illegally preventing, what otherwise would have been a try is,a penalty try. Converted in front off the sticks  6 points . Commit a foul in the process of, or after , a try is scored and you get the try plus conversion and then the penalty, 8 points. 

It's almost like there should be another description.  A Penalty Try and then a Try Plus Penalty or something.

Stats-

Abram-one tackle. one miss. 5 tackle busts. one try assist. 12 carries=59m

Holcroft-one tackle. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 8 carries=88m

Heaton-12 tackles. one offload. 2 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 10 carries=80m

Roberts-16 tackles. one miss. one offload. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 11 carries=87m

Ince-4 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 2 clean breaks. 11 carries=111m

Charnock-no tackles. no carries

Hewitt-19 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. one try assist. 6 carries=35m

Reilly-27 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 2 tackle busts. 23 carries=149m

Owen-23 tackles. 5 misses. one tackle bust. one try assist. 4 carries=30m

Kirk-34 tackles. one miss. 12 carries=90m

Bridge-30 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 3 tackle busts. 18 carries=139m

Pick-22 tackles. one tackle bust. 10 carries=61m

Bent-48 tackles. one miss. 13 carries=71m

subs

Spencer-14 tackles. one miss. 11 carries=112m

Langtree-19 tackles. one miss. one try assist. 11 carries=100m

Dupree-24 tackles. one offload. 2 tackle busts. one clean break. 11 carries=122m

Gregory-47 tackles. 3 misses. 3 tackle busts. 8 carries=46m

Archived