Ryan Sutton

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Not in the same league as the other two. He’s not developed as much as he should of done IMO.

I like Currie. Good rugby brain. I’d have him in and move Bateman to do his offloading at 13 like a proper loose forward. 

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I like Currie. Good rugby brain. I’d have him in and move Bateman to do his offloading at 13 like a proper loose forward. 

Currie looked like he was going to be an absolutely devastating player. Cruel luck with injuries and just not developed from that early promise. Solid player though and will probably be in the mix.

5 hours ago, 7723 said:

I thought Sutton had another really good game. He has really improved in the last couple of years.

Yes.  But he would have improved as well if he had stayed at Wigan. He was what, only 22 when he left Wigan.

31 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes.  But he would have improved as well if he had stayed at Wigan. He was what, only 22 when he left Wigan.

Yes he would. What is the point here? The lad is playing out of his skin at the moment. It may be maturity or it may be the NRL or it may be neither. It doesn't really matter where England is concerned.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s not better than Elliott Whitehead 

Agreed, he was a very good SL player but not one of the top, top players in SL and because the NRL thought he was the best in the world we are supposed to belive that.

If it was a choice between him or Farrell, I would choose Farrel every time.

Farrell is certainly hugely underrated. He has an absolutely massive engine and huge workrate. He has a very good turn of pace too. He is exactly the sort of player who isn't considered in the same breath as the likes of Whitehead, Bateman and Sutton, by some, just because he doesn't play in the NRL. However what he has done in Super League surpasses any of those in my opinion.

England certainly have alot of good Forwards! There must be 10 or more at around SOO standard. 

Sutton IMO has improved out in Canberra and should be in the 17.  Whiteman and Bateman for Me are Starters. 

If Only we Can bring through more Backs especially Half Backs at the highest level, as thats where I feel the big difference is between England versus Australia and NZ.

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

Would also have Bentley above Currie as he’s basically a younger version of Bateman.

You need to go to Specsavers! Currie is an intelligent ball-playing second rower. Bentley is a good player but not in the same class as Currie.

35 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes he would. What is the point here? The lad is playing out of his skin at the moment. It may be maturity or it may be the NRL or it may be neither. It doesn't really matter where England is concerned.

True.  If he is playing well in a competitive competition this is good for England.  If everyone is fit then we should have some really good players available and quite a few great ones.   Obviously we want to win, but I certanly hope for, and want, us to do justice to ourselves.  As a gunfighter said in a favourite film of mine, "All I want to do is enter my house justified"

45 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

True.  If he is playing well in a competitive competition this is good for England.  If everyone is fit then we should have some really good players available and quite a few great ones.   Obviously we want to win, but I certanly hope for, and want, us to do justice to ourselves.  As a gunfighter said in a favourite film of mine, "All I want to do is enter my house justified"

Blazing Saddles??

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Farrell is certainly hugely underrated. He has an absolutely massive engine and huge workrate. He has a very good turn of pace too. He is exactly the sort of player who isn't considered in the same breath as the likes of Whitehead, Bateman and Sutton, by some, just because he doesn't play in the NRL. However what he has done in Super League surpasses any of those in my opinion.

Farrell's a player you can always rely on for effort, talent and experience. I reckon he won't be properly appreciated 'til he retires. But the moaning when he gets international selection is almost as tedious as the chippy knee-jerks against anyone playing in the NRL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

You need to go to Specsavers! Currie is an intelligent ball-playing second rower. Bentley is a good player but not in the same class as Currie.

Currie has had a shot at International level and as many have said he’s not progressed, the other one is coming on leaps and bounds.

Let’s see if either one of us changes our mind at the end of the season.

I would pick Bateman, Currie and Knowles, each of whom is far ahead of Sutton. Vossy is a great commentator, and always talks up the game. Here he was harmlessly talking up an effective plodder. Tbh, I would pick even Smithies and Havard ahead of him. Not Farrell though, as he is simply too small. Terrific club player though.  

12 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would pick Bateman, Currie and Knowles, each of whom is far ahead of Sutton. Vossy is a great commentator, and always talks up the game. Here he was harmlessly talking up an effective plodder. Tbh, I would pick even Smithies and Havard ahead of him. Not Farrell though, as he is simply too small. Terrific club player though.  

Farrell is the same size and weight as Bateman. I do share your concern though about that on the international stage but that said I also have the same concern with Bateman too.

2 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

I (genuinely) hope that some of the Super League lads mentioned in this thread bother to head down to Australia to demonstrate their superiority to Sutton. 

Well, Bateman showed he was a class above in the NRL. And we know the others are better because we saw Sutton play over here for years. 

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Well, Bateman showed he was a class above in the NRL. And we know the others are better because we saw Sutton play over here for years. 

Class above? Bateman played at a similar standard to the top 5 or 6 second rowers in the NRL.

Are you able to clarify your point regarding Sutton as I'm unsure what you are arguing?

11 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Class above? Bateman played at a similar standard to the top 5 or 6 second rowers in the NRL.

Are you able to clarify your point regarding Sutton as I'm unsure what you are arguing?

So now he's not in the NRL and the Aussies arnt salivating over him, Bateman is just an average SL player.....🤔🤔

Just how thick are those NRL tinted glasses???

90 posts to go Alan...

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

90 posts to go Alan...

He's going to need to expand his topics, you can only drool over the NRL so much before he needs a fresh box if tissues. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

So now he's not in the NRL and the Aussies arnt salivating over him, Bateman is just an average SL player.....🤔🤔

Just how thick are those NRL tinted glasses???

90 posts to go Alan...

I don't remember saying that Bateman's standard has dropped since his return to Super League. As someone who's been in the NRL, he's the exact opposite of the small-minded players who never challenge themselves.

Archived