• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had one on one allowed for years. The change is in players falling off the tackle resetting a 2-3 man tackle back to one and is carp.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

We have had one on one allowed for years. The change is in players falling off the tackle resetting a 2-3 man tackle back to one and is carp.

It's just overcomplicated a rule that didn't need changing.

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Correct

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Finally found the issue to unite all RL fans.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

And this is the story of practically every rule change for the last decade. Tinkering every season for the sake of it and trying to solve non existent issues while in the process creating a raft of new ones.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

And this is the story of practically every rule change for the last decade. Tinkering every season for the sake of it and trying to solve non existent issues while in the process creating a raft of new ones.

The tinkering/changing has evolved our game to be different and better  than the kick and clap. Embrace it Damo

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I did miss it but..... In fairness the spirit remains. We change to make it better and always have 

This change doesn’t make it better though & will very shortly result in more sterile RL as offloads are reduced with the ball being clamped ever more tightly by the carrier

It’s a stupid rule change and I for one don’t need to watch the rest of the season to know that. It seems like typical Rugby League tinkering with something that wasn’t broke for no apparent reason and it’s very difficult to police by the officials.

If they really wanted to change something they should have made ball stealing illegal  in any form as that would have allowed ball players to open up a bit more and would have improved the fluency of the ball movement.

15 minutes ago, LeeF said:

This change doesn’t make it better though & will very shortly result in more sterile RL as offloads are reduced with the ball being clamped ever more tightly by the carrier

Yep and I said that myself earlier. I'm defending the vision to change but not this change. We can ajways change back etc 

I do find the changes to contest the ball more and add variation to the game funny. These are to fix problems of sterile RL, that have in themselves been caused by rule changes to remove nearly every contest for possession and variation in play. 

44 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's exciting in a way but I think it will eventually lead to less and less cool offloads. 

29 minutes ago, LeeF said:

This has not been the experience in the NRL. 

15 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Well exactly , it hasn’t changed the nature of the game . Most of the time it’s barely a feature and if it’s utilised then it’s a positive play from defenders and credit to them . It can  also be a risk and reward play . Like anything it needs bedding in and time to get a proper assessment 

9 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The good teams have already seen the value of the late off-load combined with the rapidly retreating defences caused by the new 6- again rules. From Junior Paulo`s turning his back at the last moment as the defenders converge, to Nelson Asofa Solomona straightening up, bursting free of tacklers grappling around him and dropping the ball off to supports.

Late off-loads have already proved them selves to be invaluable, and if teams want to be in the top tier they are going to have develop tactics that allow off-loads whether it is through the sheer size and strength of Nelson, the difficulty of getting hold of someone like Junior Paulo or even just a damaging runner like Tevita Pangi-Junior who is able to shrug players off and then pass.

Rosters are going to have to be adjusted, players like this bought into every good team.

Ironically a lot of people thought the new 6-again rules were going to lead to a uniformity of aerobically fit athletic players who could keep up to the extra demands. Perhaps instead it may lead to every team having its` quota of extra large off-load experts and then the super quick smaller player able to take advantage of that off-load, i.e. Cook, Papenhuyzen, Laui etc.

The modern game has just about everything in favour of the team in possession . The defensive team gets penalised , 50/50’s are their fault ... if you’ve got the ball , well it’s go back and do it again , do it better next time , fall down and negate obstruction , take a kick from off the mark , a restart again etc etc. This morning Aaron Woods walked into a marker and the marker got penalised for not moving away . If this is a little redress I don’t mind . And ultimately if someone outstrengths you for the pill with a bit of smarts then tough

16 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The good teams have already seen the value of the late off-load 

As mentioned many times elsewhere, late offloads also depend on refs reading the tackle and not calling "Held" prematurely - this is why I loathe all the references to "wrestling". If officials are encouraged to clamp down on "wrestling" they`re likely to call upright tackles complete too early and simply on the amount of time the tackle is taking.

The rulebook says the ref should call "Held" when he deems the ball-carrier "can make no further progress and cannot part with the ball".  NRL refs have definitely shifted back to this recently - with the positive consequences you describe.

Archived