I love York's new stadium

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I can never understand the fascination some people have with mergers. It is a debate I never hear in other sports and I don't understand why some in RL think its some kind of magic bullet.

People do it cos they know they will get a reaction out of the clubs supporters. 

It's quite entertaining seeing some responses. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

5 hours ago, POR said:

you mean the 10 miles between c$S and wakey and the 13 between your two WOW the difference is mind boggling

Why should a club lose it's identity and long history because of poor delapidated stadiums and for your information check out FEV'S ground finally population has nothing to do with it  do you honestly think 20000 would magically turn up to watch RL at a merged club obviously you no nowt about where I live put it another way seeing as you are a  cumbrian  mackem would thousands flock to watch workinghaven   or whiteington play 

I don't want the Wakey club's to be merge but.... 

What do we reckon would be an average home gate at a new combined Calder team be? 

On 04/04/2021 at 11:51, The Daddy said:

Another fantastic new RL venue. York are a club on the up and would put most SL Clubs to shame. 

SL club in the making 

Does every positive development in RL have to be at the expense of criticising others. 

You say they would put most SL Clubs to shame. Which ones? Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Catalans, Wire, Hull? Salford, Leigh and Hudds also have fantastic facilities, and how does their fan base compare to the likes of Cas and Hull KR? 

So yes, they may put Wakey to shame. 

It is great to see York growing and improving facilities, but why does that have to be at the expense of others? 

6 hours ago, daz39 said:

Looks just like any other standard modern identi-kit stadium with horrid looking seat colours randomly thrown in, saying that York is a cracking place and would be good to see them in SL at some point.

Give me proper grounds over the modern ones anyday

I must be the odd one out here, because the reasons i don’t go to the likes of Wakey is because of it’s “Pwoper Old Skool Terracing” and its Victorian toilet facilities. 

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I don’t need to visit the jungle or Bellevue to see that they are embarrassing dumps as I have eyes marra 😉

As for fev they do indeed have a tidy little stadium but that’s all it will ever be marra, a tiny little stadium in a tiny little town surrounded by 2 super league clubs.

Tiny little Stadium, capacity 9850. York New Stadium capacity 8005. So not too tiny. 

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Tiny little Stadium, capacity 9850. York New Stadium capacity 8005. So not too tiny. 

Wikipedia has the capacity at just under 7k but I stand corrected. 

the other 2 points still stand that featherstone is a tiny town surrounded by 2 super league clubs within spitting distance.

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

the other 2 points still stand that featherstone is a tiny town surrounded by 2 super league clubs within spitting distance.

And why should those points have any relevance to the Club existing and having ambitions to be successful?

8 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

And why should those points have any relevance to the Club existing and having ambitions to be successful?

Because barring some sort of miracle that featherstone rovers will become the latest play toy of a Russian oligarch or oil rich Arab sheikh these 2 important factors will always determine that fev will never become anything other than a basement dwelling super league side and a top 4 championship side.

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

really from wikipedia

Ground(s)

so that's 9850 incidentally  that's down to WMDC because no crash barriers on terracing behind sticks  if there were crash barriers  then capacity  from council goes up to  11350 hope that helps

7 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Because barring some sort of miracle that featherstone rovers will become the latest play toy of a Russian oligarch or oil rich Arab sheikh these 2 important factors will always determine that fev will never become anything other than a basement dwelling super league side and a top 4 championship side.

But why does that matter?

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Because barring some sort of miracle that featherstone rovers will become the latest play toy of a Russian oligarch or oil rich Arab sheikh these 2 important factors will always determine that fev will never become anything than a basement dwelling super league side and a top 4 championship side.

Whether that is the case or not, in any League system there will always be smaller Clubs that are unlikely to challenge the very top teams. Like in the Premier  League, the likes of Burnley, Watford and the Norwich's of this world will probably be in the situation you describe above, so would you be against them being able to have PL ambitions? Even if your dream of all these big city Clubs being in SL they won't all be top teams, somebody has to be bottom of the pile.

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Whether that is the case or not, in any League system there will always be smaller Clubs that are unlikely to challenge the very top teams. Like in the Premier  League, the likes of Burnley, Watford and the Norwich's of this world will probably be in the situation you describe above, so would you be against them being able to have PL ambitions? Even if your dream of all these big city Clubs being in SL they won't all be top teams, somebody has to be bottom of the pile.

don't forget league one sunderland always the bridemaids of the north east

11 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Why not go the whole hog and have a merged cas&wakey team play out of a new stadium in normanton?

in fact it’s about time that cas, fev and wakey all merged into one team but that’s for another thread I feel.

Why not merge a Newcastle club with a Hull club.... oops, done that and it didn't work 🙂

Or maybe it worked as intended!

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

I must be the odd one out here, because the reasons i don’t go to the likes of Wakey is because of it’s “Pwoper Old Skool Terracing” and its Victorian toilet facilities. 

Wakefield isn't a proper ground, it's just a dump!!!

55 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Anyway, York's new stadium is a beauty.

Looking forward to watching a game there with my old man.

Got a lot of time for a very welcoming club.

Totally agree, I have always liked York, loved as a kid going to Clarence Street to watch Featherstone, even though we often got turned over!

8 hours ago, POR said:

3 separate clubs all but ensure relative endless mid-table and even relegation fights So what real fans couldn't care less they just want to watch THEIR  team win lose or draw yes winning things is nice but it's more important to follow YOUR team 

Bingo, as someone who twice watched his club disappear (Carlisle then original Gateshead Thunder) I can say it sucks to lose your team, especially if it’s down to circumstances beyond your control. Why can’t Fev, Cas and Wakey continue as 3 clubs, natural on field performance determines who is top dog.

Ultimately this thread is heading down an old, familiar path, that is Cas & Wakey play in sh*tholes, let’s replace them with clubs with better facilities (of which in the Championship there are a few), well great, let those clubs earn their place on the field and if say Wakey finishes bottom of SL and York wins the Championship then great, natural selection prevails. In the meantime if Cas and Wakey can continue to do the business on the field then that’s fine.

20 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Ultimately this thread is heading down an old, familiar path, that is Cas & Wakey play in sh*tholes, let’s replace them with clubs with better facilities (of which in the Championship there are a few), well great, let those clubs earn their place on the field and if say Wakey finishes bottom of SL and York wins the Championship then great, natural selection prevails. In the meantime if Cas and Wakey can continue to do the business on the field then that’s fine.

Yes that’s all well and good as long as they meet the same criteria that any promoted team has to meet

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived