I love York's new stadium

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/04/2021 at 12:59, GUBRATS said:

Called Featherstone Rovers I presume ? , Because POR is a Featherstone Rovers fan , so unless the merged team was called Featherstone Rovers playing out of Featherstone , it wouldn't be his teamĀ 

nah not for meĀ  Ā it wouldn't be my team no matter what they called it andĀ  I would vehemently decline the offer to participate

the thought of supporting the same team as the carpet carriers down the road sends shivers down my spineĀ 

On 05/04/2021 at 08:34, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Why not go the whole hog and have a merged cas&wakey team play out of a new stadium in normanton?

in fact itā€™s about time that cas, fev and wakey all merged into one team but thatā€™s for another thread I feel.

Genuine question... Sunderland haven't challenged for a title in around 85 years and lets face it, they're unlikely to for the next fifty. Newcastle even longer.. If you had the chanceĀ of Champions League football in the North East by merging the clubs and playing out of a 80,000 capacity ground in Newcastle would you take that?

The problem you'd have is that no Sunderland fans would identify with the merged club, and no Newcastle fans would identify with it either. You wouldn't need an 80,000 seater stadium for it, that's for sure. I submit that a merged Wakefield club would face the same issues. You might attract a handful of new fans, at the expense of losing pretty much all the existing ones.

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

Genuine question... Sunderland haven't challenged for a title in around 85 years and lets face it, they're unlikely to for the next fifty. Newcastle even longer.. If you had the chanceĀ of Champions League football in the North East by merging the clubs and playing out of a 80,000 capacity ground in Newcastle would you take that?

Good question,Ā  and we all know what the answer will be. Newcastle and Sunderland merging and playing in Washington seems ludicrous, but its akin to the logic that many want to follow in RL.

5 hours ago, POR said:

nah not for meĀ  Ā it wouldn't be my team no matter what they called it andĀ  I would vehemently decline the offer to participate

the thought of supporting the same team as the carpet carriers down the road sends shivers down my spineĀ 

I rest my case m'lud šŸ˜‰

Ā 

4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So how did this thread about York turn into another discussion about Wakefield and Castleford's continued failed attempts at building a new stadium?Ā 

Don't they all ? šŸ˜€

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So how did this thread about York turn into another discussion about Wakefield and Castleford's continued failed attempts at building a new stadium?Ā 

Well give it a few more pages and it will be another P&R v Licensing thread.

6 hours ago, fevtom said:

As a Thunder fan, I remember our ā€œmergerā€. Mergers are bad, wrong and no one should force your team to merge. Now as for the Magpies merging with the red and white lot on the Wear then thatā€™s when I would know that football as I knew it was finally dead.

On 04/04/2021 at 13:28, Eddie said:

I doubt either York City or YCK would ever need more than 8,000 capacity tbf.Ā 

Im willing to bet you will be 100% wrong on thatĀ 

On 07/04/2021 at 12:04, fevtom said:

He probably won't answer - he's not even a real fan of themĀ  he slates the West Cumbrian RL teams but refuses to go and watch them - he would rather support a very poor soccer team on the other side of the country.

On 07/04/2021 at 12:04, fevtom said:

It wouldnā€™t be Sunderland would it though, it would just be Newcastle with Sunderlandā€™s assets passed over to them. If Norwich and Ipswich merged I doubt if crowds would reach 5,000.Ā 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It wouldnā€™t be Sunderland would it though, it would just be Newcastle with Sunderlandā€™s assets passed over to them. If Norwich and Ipswich merged I doubt if crowds would reach 5,000.Ā 

Agreed, so why do some on here think RL Clubs with old rivalries merge?

48 minutes ago, The storm said:

I want to agree with you but I'm not sure where these additional 6k fans are coming from (in round numbers, for either club)?

I've been watching City for a while and the best I've seen was 5k odd for a friendly(!) against Newcastle Utd.

York is an odd place in that so few people seem to care about either professional club in the city. The Knights are going in the right direction but they would need to increase crowds at least 4-fold before ground capacity would be an issue.

20 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

I want to agree with you but I'm not sure where these additional 6k fans are coming from (in round numbers, for either club)?

I've been watching City for a while and the best I've seen was 5k odd for a friendly(!) against Newcastle Utd.

York is an odd place in that so few people seem to care about either professional club in the city. The Knights are going in the right direction but they would need to increase crowds at least 4-fold before ground capacity would be an issue.

On a decent day I could see certain clubs taking 2k to York. I don't think an 8k attendance is out of the question if they ever got to Super League.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

On a decent day I could see certain clubs taking 2k to York. I don't think an 8k attendance is out of the question if they ever got to Super League.Ā 

Away fans don't countĀ 

9 hours ago, The storm said:

Maybe for one game (eg if York City played Leeds in the cup) but you could say that for all clubs and theyā€™d all have massive stadiums in case they had one big game. To need to increase on 8k capacity one of them would need an average crowd of 7k at least, which seems unlikely.Ā 

24 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

It looked very impressive last night under lights, can't wait to get in and watch a game.

Didn't they ''have a go'' too? I thought they showed great team spirit.Ā 

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

Ā 

I do think some terracing/safe standing might create a better atmosphere when fans return though.

You won'tĀ get any arguments against this from any Knights or YCFC fans, and the current all-seater arrangements weren't at the behest of either club - they were the result of stipulations from the Football Stadia Improvement Fund, whose loan/grant was essential in enabling the new stadium to be built.

Archived