I love York's new stadium

11 hours ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

Saying this as a York fan but also from Harrogate. What often gets overlooked is the larger picture, York is the only pro club in North Yorkshire which is a massive county by landmass in England taking in huge coastline to the moors and nearby towns. North Yorkshire is definitely a growth area with huge potential, its much more than just York, although the stadium looks great and I can't wait to watch my first game from there. 

North Yorkshire are just the folk who empty your bins.

It's not a place.

It's a common error, I'm afraid.

But even if you accept that it is, North Yorkshire is a huge but sparsely populated area, not to mention that the local teams of many North Yorkshire residents are in neighbouring West Yorkshire (another non-place).

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Padge said:

They'd only need it to bigger for 3/4s of the game you're always late for away kick-offs.

Same with you Pie eaters but at the other end of the game.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Griff said:

It's not a place.

But even if you accept that it is, North Yorkshire is a huge but sparsely populated area, not to mention that the local teams of many North Yorkshire residents are in neighbouring West Yorkshire (another non-place).

Living in Ripon in the late 90's & early 00's there were always a lot of lads in Leeds and Bradford shirts.

York may attract a larger following in such areas if they continue to improve/progress, but I doubt it would be because they are a 'North Yorkshire' club rather than 'West Yorkshire'.

On the issue of bin collection - York isn't administered by North Yorkshire Council, it has its own unitary authority. In the rest of north Yorks the bins are collected by the district councils. Police Force and Fire Brigade are shared!

The stadium may be similar to a lot of other new ones, but it looks good to me and must be a big improvement on watching rugby at the Ryedale/Huntington Stadium. I never went to Clarence Street so can't comment on that. I'll try to make sure I get there for a look once we are able.

7 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Same with you Pie eaters but at the other end of the game

We don't leave early, we get home early.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 07/04/2021 at 12:04, fevtom said:

Genuine question... Sunderland haven't challenged for a title in around 85 years and lets face it, they're unlikely to for the next fifty. Newcastle even longer.. If you had the chance of Champions League football in the North East by merging the clubs and playing out of a 80,000 capacity ground in Newcastle would you take that?

Of course not but again Newcastle and Sunderland have fantastic modern stadia with tens of thousands of fans attending every home game in a hugely successful and competitive domestic league system.

On 14/04/2021 at 11:04, Griff said:

It's not a place.

in neighbouring West Yorkshire (another non-place).

Rugby League seems to be infested with folk who say stuff like this. 

Not just yourself, you get people denying Barrow is in Cumbria, or denying Warrington is in Cheshire, or blethering on about the East Riding, or St Helens not being in Merseyside.

Do you think that our fanbase is made up of people who are stuck living in the past? It seriously seems that way at times.

17 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Rugby League seems to be infested with folk who say stuff like this. 

Not just yourself, you get people denying Barrow is in Cumbria, or denying Warrington is in Cheshire, or blethering on about the East Riding, or St Helens not being in Merseyside.

Do you think that our fanbase is made up of people who are stuck living in the past? It seriously seems that way at times.

It's the present.  Places didn't change in 1974.  Councils did.   Councils change every ten minutes or so.   The councils in South Wales bear no relation to the boundaries of 1974.  West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire don't have councils any more. There's no continuity.

It's funny - pre-1974 I don't remember folk in Castleford or Dewsbury claiming they weren't in Yorkshire because they were a separate County Borough.

On 14/04/2021 at 10:04, Griff said:

It's not a place.

Thank you for putting me right... Least it means I can do 50 in a 30 zone as North Yorkshire police don't exist and set fire to stuff knowing that North Yorkshire fire and rescue aren't going to do anything about it. I might even going to the mythical North Yorkshire Moors National park. I agree it is sparsely populated however 75,000 people in Harrogate 190,000 in York. Even in York there is the opportunity to tap into the casual Rugby league/sports fan or bring super league watchers to York from Harrogate and surrounding areas. The strategy if you listen to Jon Flatman (Chairman of York) is based around York and the surrounding areas of North Yorkshire in terms of increasing fan base and attracting new supporters along, he hasn't got the cure and cracked York in terms of supporters but thinking outside the box and with supporter organisations like the Harrogate York Knights amongst others are always going to help. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

It's the present.  Places didn't change in 1974.  Councils did.   Councils change every ten minutes or so.   The councils in South Wales bear no relation to the boundaries of 1974.  West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire don't have councils any more. There's no continuity.

It's funny - pre-1974 I don't remember folk in Castleford or Dewsbury claiming they weren't in Yorkshire because they were a separate County Borough.

Referring to what people were talking about "pre 1974"? That is just another perfect example of our fanbase being stuck in the past!

Who cares what they were saying back then? I wasn't even born. It's the best part of 50 years ago FFS.

17 hours ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

Thank you for putting me right... Least it means I can do 50 in a 30 zone as North Yorkshire police don't exist and set fire to stuff knowing that North Yorkshire fire and rescue aren't going to do anything about it. I might even going to the mythical North Yorkshire Moors National park.

Well, there we are.

It's the North York Moors National Park.   Formed in 1952, predating North Yorkshire County Council by 22 years.

Young people today, eh ?

Archived