Match Thread: Challenge Cup Third Round, Featherstone Rovers v Hull Saturday-10th-April-2021

marklaspalmas

So, after 25 matches against Batley, we get to play somebody else. I'll miss the Bulldogs.

Somebody else is Hull FC and I watched them play against Salford. They looked big and strong. It will be a real test of our pack.

But Reynolds and Sneyd their halfbacks both picked up knocks, so you never know.

For Rovers, a first choice 17 is being to emerge which doesn't seem to include Davies or Field.

If Holmes, Minns, Ferguson or Ferres are ready next weekend, then more interesting selection questions emerge.

If we can hold them for a decent length of time, and keep the score close-ish, we'll be happy with that, I'd imagine.

I hesitate to mention it, but the match is on the OurLeague app. 4.95 in advance for eveyone, including ST holders, as it's a Cup tie.

It'd be nice if the thread had a minimum of tech questions and concentrated on the rugby, but let's see how it goes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am sure we'll play a reasonably strong squad, perhaps with a little rotation. Holmes was talking of being back in contention for this game, so maybe we'll see him here. Jones has played a lot of minutes so might be worth resting him and giving Brown and Parata 40 minutes each at 9.

Brown has probably done enough to make the discussion for who our regular half backs should be an interesting one. After a quiet game against Bradford, Chisholm has responded with two good games against Batley, including in defence, and it's good for competition that we have three very good half backs fighting for places. We know that Holmes is quality at this level and Chisholm will know he has to perform to keep his place too.

Hull are one of the form teams in SL, they're big and fast and as others have said realistically the likeliest outcome is that they beat us by a fairly big margin, though it's the cup and the spirit of 83 I'm sure will be in the minds of plenty of fans. Their starting halves both got hurt at the weekend and if they don't play then maybe there's a chink of light for us, but as others have said an honourable effort and a lack of injuries and suspensions wouldn't be a bad outcome this week.

There's two options, rest some key players so they don't get knocks for the league matches or play your best team.

For me, you have to play your best team, and hope for no injuries. The players need to have as many minutes as possible at the moment, as you can see there's no real consistency (purely from lack of minutes). 

I'd be looking to get Ferguson & Davies into the starting 17.

No pressure on this game, so we might see some real attacking rugby. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Davies not available, isolation due to contact with a positive covid person, that's why he wasn't in the squad yesterday. One or two others in the same boat so James Webster tells me. I know Minns was isolating yesterday too but don't know if he can play next week?

24 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Davies not available, isolation due to contact with a positive covid person, that's why he wasn't in the squad yesterday. One or two others in the same boat so James Webster tells me. I know Minns was isolating yesterday too but don't know if he can play next week?

I think he gradually needs to be brought into the team after such a long lay off.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

15 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

minns should be ok he missed batley cup game due to isolation so it should now be over it and davies was named in initial 21 man squad but left out of 17 for what ever meaning

Think he will go with a powell like team having a bit of a playmaker at 13 so think it will be holmes / chizzy in halves n brown at 13 n parata/jones the hookers

Throwback to Kain, Finn & Heppy at 13 days

10 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Think he will go with a powell like team having a bit of a playmaker at 13 so think it will be holmes / chizzy in halves n brown at 13 n parata/jones the hookers

That would be interesting to see. Hull FC, with their strong running forwards, won't be the ideal opponents to try that out. Tough tackling middles would be much better in that respect. But I guess JW doesn't care too much about the result, or considers it a foregone conclusion.

I'm puzzled about John Davies' absence.

54 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Isolating, been in contact with someone who has covid.

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Some updates from last night's Q & A session on Facebook/YouTube
Joe Summers is out from a broken foot suffered just before Christmas
Minns just coming back from Covid so not allowed to play this week
JD still self isolating
Fergie out injured with a hamstring that he hurt against Batley
Tom Holmes "will come back this week"
Jacob Doyle has struggled with a hamstring injury.

11 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Worked well with Hepworth at 13 because as I remember he was very strong in defence, I'm not sure Brown at 13 would have the same physical presence with the standout memory being the try we conceded to a winger walking through him like he wasn't there. I do like the idea for a fast track against a team we should be able to physically dominate, I'm not sure about it against Hull.

43 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Some updates from last night's Q & A session on Facebook/YouTube
Joe Summers is out from a broken foot suffered just before Christmas
Minns just coming back from Covid so not allowed to play this week
JD still self isolating
Fergie out injured with a hamstring that he hurt against Batley
Tom Holmes "will come back this week"
Jacob Doyle has struggled with a ahmstring injury.

Ta.

Are we to understand Minns actually had Covid as opposed to isolating?

And JD has been isolating for weeks now it feels.....

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ta.

Are we to understand Minns actually had Covid as opposed to isolating?

And JD has been isolating for weeks now it feels.....

Yes Minns was tweeting about having to isolate in spare room and not able to give his partner/kids cuddles.

JD had a head knock which kept him out for a couple of weeks before then having to self-isolate IIRC.

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes Minns was tweeting about having to isolate in spare room and not able to give his partner/kids cuddles.

JD had a head knock which kept him out for a couple of weeks before then having to self-isolate IIRC.

Ah. Gotcha. Ta. Not having much luck is he? Notoriously slow starter every season.

Archived