It's time to change positions

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

What's funny about that?  Every time watches John Doe out there tunes in soccer, RU or any other sport he sees one set of field/court/rink markings all the time.  Do you really expect him not to be put off a sport which doesn't meet that standard?

No. How many people have told you that they are put off RL because some pitches have intermittent lines? 

It must be a lot based on the attention you give this. Genuinely, how many? 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

No. How many people have told you that they are put off RL because some pitches have intermittent lines? 

It must be a lot based on the attention you give this. Genuinely, how many? 

No one's told me that.  I only discuss the game on forums such as this one and everyone here likes the game.

I give attention to plenty of things in the game, I want it to overcome the barriers which have always held it back.  One of those barriers is the negative stereotype apparently held by a majority of the relatively few outsiders who know that two versions of rugby exist, so the game can't afford anything which might reinforce that.

One standard for field/court/rink markings is the norm for major and minor sports alike, so following that standard seems to me a basic necessity for a sport trying to overcome such a barrier.

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Discussion on pitch markings and nobodies mention Lamport stadium yet 🤔 , oops 😂

I was heading there. One of the clearest examples of people clearly not caring less. Plenty new fans going along and it not holding them back. Unless that's actually why they went bust? 

30 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No one's told me that.  I only discuss the game on forums such as this one and everyone here likes the game.

I give attention to plenty of things in the game, I want it to overcome the barriers which have always held it back.  One of those barriers is the negative stereotype apparently held by a majority of the relatively few outsiders who know that two versions of rugby exist, so the game can't afford anything which might reinforce that.

One standard for field/court/rink markings is the norm for major and minor sports alike, so following that standard seems to me a basic necessity for a sport trying to overcome such a barrier.

So that makes two of us who have never heard this portrayed as any kind of issue to somebody watching the game. And I've taken plenty of new fans, RU fans, football fans, people from outside the North. 

If your point is that you prefer a pitch with full markings including solid lines, numbers, sponsors and other colourful branding, I'd agree with you. It's my preference, I think it looks better, but not many sports in the UK have that. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So that makes two of us who have never heard this portrayed as any kind of issue to somebody watching the game. And I've taken plenty of new fans, RU fans, football fans, people from outside the North. 

If your point is that you prefer a pitch with full markings including solid lines, numbers, sponsors and other colourful branding, I'd agree with you. It's my preference, I think it looks better, but not many sports in the UK have that. 

I think everyone agrees that full markings etc would be great and looks far better. However we all know the reasons why it doesn't, and quite often cant happen, and I really couldn't care too less about it. In terms of the issues the game faces it really is at the bottom.

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think everyone agrees that full markings etc would be great and looks far better. However we all know the reasons why it doesn't, and quite often cant happen, and I really couldn't care too less about it. In terms of the issues the game faces it really is at the bottom.

So other than the league and clubs being too lazy and unconcerned about their public image, what other reasons exist why it doesn't happen?

Just now, Big Picture said:

So other than the league and clubs being too lazy and unconcerned about their public image, what other reasons exist why it doesn't happen?

You've been told. I've even told you in this thread. 

Some pitches are too small. 

Some share grounds so can't put too much on pitches. 

Numbers and logos aren't compulsory, but our approach to that (to not have them the vast majority of times) is the same as the RU Premiership's approach and they don't get accused of being lazy and unconcerned with their image. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Numbers and logos aren't compulsory, but our approach to that (to not have them the vast majority of times) is the same as the RU Premiership's approach and they don't get accused of being lazy and unconcerned with their image. 

What's stopping clubs with fields which are too small from getting a stadium fit for purpose?  They are pro clubs after all!

Why can't shared stadiums be correctly marked?  Why don't they make that a condition of using those stadiums?

The RU Premiership's approach isn't in conflict with the rules of their sport, the diagram of the playing field in their rule book doesn't show numbers on the lines.  The diagram in the RL International rule book clearly shows equidistant lines with numbers.  I'm not why you mentioned logos though?

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

What's stopping clubs with fields which are too small from getting a stadium fit for purpose?  They are pro clubs after all!

Why can't shared stadiums be correctly marked?  Why don't they make that a condition of using those stadiums?

The RU Premiership's approach isn't in conflict with the rules of their sport, the diagram of the playing field in their rule book doesn't show numbers on the lines.  The diagram in the RL International rule book clearly shows equidistant lines with numbers.  I'm not why you mentioned logos though?

They also write Halfway across the centre of the diagram. It's a diagram, it isn't a requirement. 

The markings are correct, you just don't like them. 

The teams with small pitches don't need bigger pitches, because it is not a requirement. They meet the rules. 

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You've got an eye on the big picture as usual.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They also write Halfway across the centre of the diagram. It's a diagram, it isn't a requirement. 

The markings are correct, you just don't like them. 

The teams with small pitches don't need bigger pitches, because it is not a requirement. They meet the rules. 

The RL rulebook clearly states, "The PLAN and markings thereon and the Notes relating thereto are part of these Laws".  Therefore a field of play which doesn't conform to that plan is not in accordance with the rules, that much is plain.  I have PDF copies of the rules from 2004, 2010 and 2016 and the Plan is the same in all three and it has equidistant solid, numbered lines.  I'd upload a picture of it but it's bigger than the tiny total size allowed here.

Even third world PNG follows the Plan, what's wrong with English RL that it's unable to do so?

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

You've got an eye on the big picture as usual.

And all parts of the picture too.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

The RL rulebook clearly states, "The PLAN and markings thereon and the Notes relating thereto are part of these Laws".  Therefore a field of play which doesn't conform to that plan is not in accordance with the rules, that much is plain.  I have PDF copies of the rules from 2004, 2010 and 2016 and the Plan is the same in all three and it has equidistant solid, numbered lines.  I'd upload a picture of it but it's bigger than the tiny total size allowed here.

Even third world PNG follows the Plan, what's wrong with English RL that it's unable to do so?

And all parts of the picture too.

Which RL rulebook do you refer to? 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't know why you keep mentioning union. This is the 5th post in the thread where you mention it. I CGAF about union: Big Picture is talking about Rugby League pitches. Who cares what union does??? They face a completely different set of challenges from Rugby League.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I was heading there. One of the clearest examples of people clearly not caring less. Plenty new fans going along and it not holding them back. Unless that's actually why they went bust? 

I was watching a video with Gary Hethrington and Mark Campbell being interviewed and they were discussing pitch markings. In which Mark Campbell stated how he's all for them, especially stating the 10m / 20m, etc lines. 

We have an exciting law in the 40/20 and now 20/40 - why not make it bold and exciting? Make a point of it. Same with the try line. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

So what is your opinion on Lamport ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So what is your opinion on Lamport ?

Lamport wasn't built for pro sports, it was built for community sports.  The reason it has all those different lines because so many community sports groups all share it.  The Wolfpack playing there is an anomaly, Lamport is very small and basic compared to other pro sports venues here.  The field there is really a bit too short for RL, BMO Field would be much better.

Just now, Big Picture said:

Lamport wasn't built for pro sports, it was built for community sports.  The reason it has all those different lines because so many community sports groups all share it.  The Wolfpack playing there is an anomaly, Lamport is very small and basic compared to other pro sports venues here.  The field there is really a bit too short for RL, BMO Field would be much better.

So they shouldn't have been allowed to play there , simple as 

33 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

I was watching a video with Gary Hethrington and Mark Campbell being interviewed and they were discussing pitch markings. In which Mark Campbell stated how he's all for them, especially stating the 10m / 20m, etc lines. 

We have an exciting law in the 40/20 and now 20/40 - why not make it bold and exciting? Make a point of it. Same with the try line. 

I can't imagine anyone is against the idea. I remember there being proper, clear pitch markings at Wilderspool (which was nowhere near a regulation size pitch) in the early Super League days and I don't understand why we don't still have that. But not having that now has genuinely never stopped me from getting a proper night's sleep, and it has never made anyone decide not to watch RL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I don't know why you keep mentioning union. This is the 5th post in the thread where you mention it. I CGAF about union: Big Picture is talking about Rugby League pitches. Who cares what union does??? They face a completely different set of challenges from Rugby League.

The reason is that Big Picture often states only RL does this and no other sport does and it is a sign of our issues. 

That's why I mention other sports doing the same things that we get criticised for. 

As you'll see by Big Picture tagging me out of the blue, this is a discussion we've had before :kolobok_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

How do you mean? What do you want doing with the try line? 

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

Once the covid scare is over, I'd like to see a couple of experimental games with scrums that observe the laws and see what the outcome is.  The scrum removes twelve players from the open field, and if for no other reason has its place in the game.

NZ Warriors scored a late try from a scrum late on this week... But was chalked off by a bit af a bizarre gand in touch.  But otherwise it was good play straight from scrum 20m out.

Archived