Long lost defunct semi-professional RL clubs

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Kent would be cool. The whole English side of my family is from Kent for as far as we can trace.

I agree. Would you call them by the county name Kent or maybe after a town in Kent like gillingham or Maidstone?

personally I like the sound of Kent spitfires but the cricket already has that name. Kent hurricanes perhaps??

9 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

What about Bramley and liverpool city?

Always loved trips to their grounds ..... Barley Mow and Knotty Ash ....names to remember

For me bramley would be a no-go because of the congested West Yorkshire market and the already 2 existing “Leeds” teams.

Liverpool city are/were prescot at sometime in their existence. No?

3 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Why would they not?

That’s not really an answer. 

However, why would they? There’s been a global pandemic, it’s widely accepted that The RFL are going to be receiving less monies from the next TV deal, so why would they spread the little they get further and why would sticking pins in a map or allowing any Tom, Dick and Harry with money burning a hole in their pocket result in anything different to the game than what’s occurred over the past 40-50 years with these clubs and others?

Nottingham by all accounts have a decent amateur setup and Kent’s flag is kept flying by Medway who seem to produce a fair few London Broncos players, why would they want to jump up to League One now when they’re running pretty well (from the outside looking in)? The rest, I’m not sure why we’d bother with Chorley or Prescot for example, I’d leave them two to Wigan and St Helens to attract fans and players. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s not really an answer. 

However, why would they? There’s been a global pandemic, it’s widely accepted that The RFL are going to be receiving less monies from the next TV deal, so why would they spread the little they get further and why would sticking pins in a map or allowing any Tom, Dick and Harry with money burning a hole in their pocket result in anything different to the game than what’s occurred over the past 40-50 years with these clubs and others?

Nottingham by all accounts have a decent amateur setup and Kent’s flag is kept flying by Medway who seem to produce a fair few London Broncos players, why would they want to jump up to League One now when they’re running pretty well (from the outside looking in)? The rest, I’m not sure why we’d bother with Chorley or Prescot for example, I’d leave them two to Wigan and St Helens to attract fans and players. 

Coventry made a comeback after 100 years so why not any other clubs?

covid19 won’t be with us for ever and the world will eventually have to move on and open up their economies.

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Coventry made a comeback after 100 years so why not any other clubs?

covid19 won’t be with us for ever and the world will eventually have to move on and open up their economies.

That’s some straw to clutch on to. 

I still think we should maintain focus on the north east development and Newcastle Thunder in particular.

Backing up the progress there through England matches and Magic until hopefully we have a strengthened amateur set up at various age levels and a top flight team to take advantage of it.

The danger of a scattergun approach to expansion in all parts is that you end up being weak everywhere. 

I would stay concentrated on one objective.

35 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I agree. Would you call them by the county name Kent or maybe after a town in Kent like gillingham or Maidstone?

personally I like the sound of Kent spitfires but the cricket already has that name. Kent hurricanes perhaps??

Hmmmm. It's something I think I have to give more thought. I'd keep the county name I think for the larger population.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I still think we should maintain focus on the north east development and Newcastle Thunder in particular.

Backing up the progress there through England matches and Magic until hopefully we have a strengthened amateur set up at various age levels and a top flight team to take advantage of it.

The danger of a scattergun approach to expansion in all parts is that you end up being weak everywhere. 

I would stay concentrated on one objective.

I don’t disagree with any of that marra and I’m constantly saying the same thing but if a rich backer or a consortium was to stump up some money to invest in carlisle, Kent or Nottingham then why not ?

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Hmmmm. It's something I think I have to give more thought. I'd keep the county name I think for the larger population.

Me too as there isn’t a large well known settlement in Kent to name a team after with the largest settlements being gillingham(110k) and Maidstone(95k).

The more I think about it I’m drawn to the name of the Kent hurricanes although I’d much prefer the Kent spitfires.

For me, it's about creating Derby matches/rivalries. That is what excites new/current supporters the most. My choices would be:

Scarborough - A good Derby game for York CK. The Football club have a nice little stadium and would be a good start. 

Nottingham - a Derby game for Coventry and there could be a rivalry with Sheffield (the rivalry in Ice Hockey is there, so could work) the City has plenty of stadiums to choose from and would be a great away day. Not too far from Heartlands, but far enough to expand. 

Kent - Rivarly for the London Clubs. Don't know much about the availabile facilties, but surely there are plenty of Union or Football clubs that have something decent. 

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I don’t disagree with any of that marra and I’m constantly saying the same thing but if a rich backer or a consortium was to stump up some money to invest in carlisle, Kent or Nottingham then why not ?

I feel we’re more likely to see investment in the game if someone can see some sort of return on it (probably more emotional than actually financial).

If Newcastle Thunder can be seen to have progressed from a low tier to the top flight combined with a strategy to develop a grassroots amateur scene, followed by some consideration by the game’s central planners in terms of Magic and England, then you might get others following suit.

I believe we can only support one of these initiatives at any one time given the resources we have.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I feel we’re more likely to see investment in the game if someone can see some sort of return on it (probably more emotional than actually financial).

If Newcastle Thunder can be seen to have progressed from a low tier to the top flight combined with a strategy to develop a grassroots amateur scene, followed by some consideration by the game’s central planners in terms of Magic and England, then you might get others following suit.

I believe we can only support one of these initiatives at any one time given the resources we have.

Newcastle thunder are most certainly the template in regards to off the field activities but Coventry bears have recently been making similar noises and moves in terms of grassroots development as well.

Nottinghamshire is slowly developing too at a grassroots level. 

Archived