Long lost defunct semi-professional RL clubs

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They can claim it but is it legitimate when there was 85 years between the two?

In other walks of life, plenty of people claim legitimacy connected to something with an even bigger time gap!

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

We had Kent Invicta playing at Maidstone who failed to draw any sort of support, so who would invest in setting a team up where it has failed miserably before?

Average gate was 731, which was respectable enough for those days. If the club had gone to Chatham as was first rumoured, then it might well still be around. It was the bizarre shift to Southend that killed it off.

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Hmmmm. It's something I think I have to give more thought. I'd keep the county name I think for the larger population.

Use the word "Invicta" for the team then, for a sense of county unity. That has a real ring to it, don't you think?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

In an ideal world for the RFL you'd have at least 1 club in each of the 8 "regions" of England (thinking the ones formerly used in the European elections) in the "professional leagues" to be the apex of the game in that region. And in fairness, when the All Golds, Hemel Stags and Oxford were in the League they had all the regions of the UK (let alone just England) bar the East of England, East Midlands, Scotland and Northern Ireland covered by at least 1 League club.

Newcastle Thunder seem to be the obvious example of what you'd want these clubs to look like. 

100% if there were three or four more clubs like Newcastle the game would be in a good place, but you need people prepared to spend a lot of money to do that, and they are understandably thin on the ground. If I ever won Euromillions I’d do it in Norfolk though. 

22 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Average gate was 731, which was respectable enough for those days. If the club had gone to Chatham as was first rumoured, then it might well still be around. It was the bizarre shift to Southend that killed it off.

That's pretty damn good for that time and level.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They can claim it but is it legitimate when there was 85 years between the two?

You are right they are two different clubs, and I don't think anyone at the Bears would claim its the same club. This would be the case if someone started a club in any of these other towns. However, the Bears play in the same ground as the original team, and there are some, albeit tenuous, links between the two clubs. A lot of research has gone into the history of RL in Coventry and there is a long history of the game in the city. 

This article recently written by club president Ron Banks will give you some good insight 

https://www.coventrybears.com/blog/q7d6utb1ho12pqd6t13j3uork7y5df

3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Average gate was 731, which was respectable enough for those days. If the club had gone to Chatham as was first rumoured, then it might well still be around. It was the bizarre shift to Southend that killed it 

The crowds it attracted couldn't sustain it, it went bankrupt in the first year and had a takeover, and owed money to other Clubs. The average attendance was swelled by home Cup ties against Castleford and St Helens. Their first home game against Cardiff attracted nearly 2k, but it was down to 500 for the second game.

17 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Don’t forget Mansfield Marksmen, great lager! 

Even being kind it wasn't the best Lager. A few Featherstone lads turned out for them. Made the Second Division Play Offs in one season with a decent team.

52 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Even being kind it wasn't the best Lager. A few Featherstone lads turned out for them. Made the Second Division Play Offs in one season with a decent team.

They served it in the Spaniard in Wakey, I remember it being like rocket fuel, however I was a juvenile at the time lol. The Mansfield bitter now that was rank! 

4 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

They served it in the Spaniard in Wakey, I remember it being like rocket fuel, however I was a juvenile at the time lol. The Mansfield bitter now that was rank! 

Correct, The Spaniard was a Mansfield Brewery Managed House. We used to goin there after going in The Graziers and the Black Rock first!

2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

The crowds it attracted couldn't sustain it, it went bankrupt in the first year and had a takeover, and owed money to other Clubs. The average attendance was swelled by home Cup ties against Castleford and St Helens. Their first home game against Cardiff attracted nearly 2k, but it was down to 500 for the second game.

Typical of expansion at that time. Football club thinks what a great idea to have an RL team to offset its own running costs, until the RL makes no contribution as the crowds barely cover the wage Bill, not the stadium rent. Football club then closes RL club down. Maybe they would have survived as a smaller, cheaper operation in Kent, they sure as hell weren’t going to in Essex.

4 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Typical of expansion at that time. Football club thinks what a great idea to have an RL team to offset its own running costs, until the RL makes no contribution as the crowds barely cover the wage Bill, not the stadium rent. Football club then closes RL club down. Maybe they would have survived as a smaller, cheaper operation in Kent, they sure as hell weren’t going to in Essex.

It was a bizarre move going to Southend.

22 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Off topic but think Kent could have sustained a league club. 

Archived