Actual England Squad

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

He had a mixed season last year but has shown his talent this year.  Maybe Wane doesn’t like his verbals? Time yet for Jake if he continues to deliver.

As others have said Hodgson has brought him on but he has always been a maverick player who can turn a game.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No Hastings or Austin, not surprised although some on here will be demanding their inclusion, I consider we are covered by better player's in those positions.

There is only 3 halfbacks named,one won’t be here until the end of the season & another is Gale.

57 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Very surprised there's no Trueman

And he's picked the likes of McGillvary and Watkins? Clearly not picking on form..........

McGillvary and Watkins are seasoned at this level though, form is temporary, class is permanent perhaps? And in a disjointed build up there is a premium on experience if only just in the camp rather than the team - I don't think either would be very strong candidates.

Given that England's route to the World Cup final is almost certainly going to include games against the Pacific heavyweights of Samoa, PNG and Tonga, I'm not surprised a Winger like McGillvary is in either.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

McGillvary and Watkins are seasoned at this level though, form is temporary, class is permanent perhaps? And in a disjointed build up there is a premium on experience if only just in the camp.

Given that England's route to the World Cup final is almost certainly going to include games against the Pacific heavyweights of Samoa, PNG and Tonga, I'm not surprised a Winger like McGillvary is in either.

Seasoned 😂 cooked more like,Watkins hasn’t been test quality since 2017 & McGilvary’s looks past his best.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Either Wane is playing mindgames with Connor or he's fallen foul of a no-d*ckheads rule. Bit late to be leaving him out at this stage with so little preparation, however.

Mr Wane must already have worked out the nucleus of the game plans and stratergies he will employ, the selected player's will have to in his opinion fit in with the mode he wants the team to perform to and not the other way round, could it be that Connor in Mr Wane's opinion has to much of the maverick in him and would not be the type of player he requires?

Just now, Davo5 said:

Seasoned 😂 cooked more like,Watkins hasn’t been test quality since 2017 & McGilvary’s looks past his best.

Watkins has had a terribly unfortunate run between 2018 to 2020. He was blighted by injury, moved clubs twice (arguably 3 times with the Toronto debacle), yet imo at Leeds his defence in 2018 was a huge improvement on what had come before. He's a rogue choice in some ways, but it is understandable.

I agree McGillvary hasn't been as outstanding as in previous years, but do we have any other crash ball English Wingers or Centres? 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Wane must already have worked out the nucleus of the game plans and stratergies he will employ, the selected player's will have to in his opinion fit in with the mode he wants the team to perform to and not the other way round, could it be that Connor in Mr Wane's opinion has to much of the maverick in him and would not be the type of player he requires?

Replace the word maverick with a multitude of alternatives and I'll think you'll find the answer there H. 

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Either Wane is playing mindgames with Connor or he's fallen foul of a no-d*ckheads rule. Bit late to be leaving him out at this stage with so little preparation, however.

I doubt it. There are other questionable characters in that squad, and Connor really isn't that bad. He's a wind up merchant and can be a bit petulant some times, but I've never heard anything about him being a disrupting influence on a squad or anything like that. I think his off field attitude is very different to his on field one.

I'd say it's more likely that Wane doesn't think he's the right fit for the way he wants to play. I guess it's up to Connor now to play to such a standard this year that Wane can't not select him.

Not sure theres ever been an England squad named that hasn't raised a few questions from fans.
Wane is going with what he knows, so no surprise really that he's picked certain players.

Personally i don't like Connor as a player (though he is undoubtedly very talented), and don't hold him in as high regard as many others, but i'd pick him ahead of at least 6-7 of the backs named in this squad.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, MZH said:

I doubt it. There are other questionable characters in that squad, and Connor really isn't that bad. He's a wind up merchant and can be a bit petulant some times, but I've never heard anything about him being a disrupting influence on a squad or anything like that. I think his off field attitude is very different to his on field one.

I'd say it's more likely that Wane doesn't think he's the right fit for the way he wants to play. I guess it's up to Connor now to play to such a standard this year that Wane can't not select him.

Yep, that is what I suggested a couple of posts back, but there is another person to come into this equation being his present club coach Mr Hodgson, does he see the same type of role for Jake that Mr Wane sees?

21 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Watkins has had a terribly unfortunate run between 2018 to 2020. He was blighted by injury, moved clubs twice (arguably 3 times with the Toronto debacle), yet imo at Leeds his defence in 2018 was a huge improvement on what had come before. He's a rogue choice in some ways, but it is understandable.

I agree McGillvary hasn't been as outstanding as in previous years, but do we have any other crash ball English Wingers or Centres? 

So hardly worthy of spots in England’s World Cup squads.

Why do we need “crash ball” wingers,it’s RL not Union 

43 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I completely agree with this. McGilvary hasn't been the same since the last World cup.

The squad is pretty much as I'd expect if you were picking 35 but I'd like to think some like Watkins and Sarginson won't be there when that is whittled down.

Archived