Actual England Squad

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Including an injured player in a train on squad, one who has consistently had injury problems and has done both knees, while other players have been consistently good on the pitch and stayed fit, is definitely a gamble. 

You do realise this isn’t Wane’s final World Cup squad don’t you.

So do you want Newman & Johnstone omitted from the squad as well ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the whole I think the squad named is decent.

The only player I would definitely like to have seen included is Jake Trueman.

I think George Williams, Luke Gale, Jonny Lomax and Trueman are our best half back options with the first two at 7 and the latter at 6. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Mixed season, at the end of last season he was on fire, his worse game was probably the semi-final but I'd put that down to good tactics that kept him away from being able to do any damage, so far this season (2 games) he has been nothing less than brilliant, even after losing both half-backs last week Connor took the game by the scruff of the neck. 

What about the rest of the 2020 season?

I am a Connor fan but he has had two things going against him.  First, he is not an out and out half back yet. Secondly, he forgets his responsibility to the team by getting involved niggling and winding others & himself up.

The last 6 games of 2020 he played as FB 4 times and played well.  This year we are reaping the benefits but Wane will want him to show him that he has stopped the unnecessary stuff and replaced it with the good.  Until he breaks that habit (and it is a habit, just the same as Danny Brough who is still at it) he won’t play under Wane unless there are injuries.  

Hodgson has him under control and will help him.  Wanes knock back will focus him as well.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

What about the rest of the 2020 season?

I am a Connor fan but he has had two things going against him.  First, he is not an out and out half back yet. Secondly, he forgets his responsibility to the team by getting involved niggling and winding others & himself up.

The last 6 games of 2020 he played as FB 4 times and played well.  This year we are reaping the benefits but Wane will want him to show him that he has stopped the unnecessary stuff and replaced it with the good.  Until he breaks that habit (and it is a habit, just the same as Danny Brough who is still at it) he won’t play under Wane unless there are injuries.  

Hodgson has him under control and will help him.  Wanes knock back will focus him as well.

May as well say what about 1999, it's current form - firstly he's not being played as an half-back by his present coach, secondly, I don't think he's actually niggled anyone yet this season.

I don't know Wane or his plans so I can't comment on how he'd want Connor to play, I find it strange that you are saying Wane wouldn't want him to play a niggling game with the track record of Wigan and his love child's at Catalan.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 minutes ago, Click said:

Sam Tomkins showing how incredibly slow he has become in this game so far ...

It's funny because I was just thinking with his ball handling and elusiveness he was proving he absolutely had to be the #1 for England in the World Cup.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

52 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's funny because I was just thinking with his ball handling and elusiveness he was proving he absolutely had to be the #1 for England in the World Cup.

He’s been outstanding again,best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Just now, Dunbar said:

If he carries on like this he's a dead cert. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

just watched panthers v raiders - likely kangaroo 7 in cleary v likely eng 7 in williams - williams outplayed and outclassed by cleary in every dept- simply not good enough against the best - anyone who thinks it will be different come the wc is dreaming.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

35 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

just watched panthers v raiders - likely kangaroo 7 in cleary v likely eng 7 in williams - williams outplayed and outclassed by cleary in every dept- simply not good enough against the best - anyone who thinks it will be different come the wc is dreaming.

Panthers at home were class, in Canberra on another day you would see a different outcome. Cleary is good but he's not a Thurston, Cronk, johns etc. 

41 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Yeah let’s write off a players Test career on the back of one game.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah let’s write off a players Test career on the back of one game.

you can only comment on what you see in front of you

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Maybe you should have tried watching his other 26 NRL appearances before writing him off.

I have watched them all and he has been a good signing for the raiders- the point  i am making is when he is pitched against the very best at the highest level like on friday - he comes up short and this will come to the fore in the wc

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I have watched them all and he has been a good signing for the raiders- the point  i am making is when he is pitched against the very best at the highest level like on friday - he comes up short and this will come to the fore in the wc

So despite facing & playing well against some of the best players in the game you are writing him off after 1 performance and discarding the rest including last year’s playoff run.

You can't really select an England team by saying they are better or worse than players from other nations.

As it happens, I believe that Nathan Clearly is better than George Williams just as I think David Fifita is better than Elliot Whitehead.  But that doesn't mean Williams and Whitehead shouldn't be selected for England.  If they are the best we have in their respective positions then we have to select them.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

You can't really select an England team by saying they are better or worse than players from other nations.

As it happens, I believe that Nathan Clearly is better than George Williams just as I think David Fifita is better than Elliot Whitehead.  But that doesn't mean Williams and Whitehead shouldn't be selected for England.  If they are the best we have in their respective positions then we have to select them.

Just watched the game and thought Williams had a decent first half,combined well with Weighton for the first try and his kicks caused Penrith problems one of which should have brought a try for Croker to put them 12 up.

The loss of CNK and subsequent reshuffle combined with some daft penalties got Penrith on a roll the Raiders couldn’t stop but it was Luai who became the dominant half & not Cleary.

Four more added to the squad:

With seven of those 35 based in Australia and several more unable to take part through injury, Wane has taken the opportunity to introduce Huddersfield Giants pair Matty English and Jake Wardle and Leeds Rhinos duo Mikolaj Oledzki and Kruise Leeming to the England training environment. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57889/wane-makes-late-additions-to-england-training-session-

Good additions. In particular Jake Wardle and Mikolaj Oledzki who are very good.

Archived