Daryl Powell to Wire

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Some press saying McDermott although I have an idea he will remain fixed to whatever comes of this new USA league that TWP are in.

Surely McDermott wouldn’t be interested. He doesn’t want small town teams in SL.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

30 minutes ago, Oxford said:

But each time they were secure with the one they had.

I think Wloves should be the Wire TBH.

It's just like Sheffield Wednesday being the Owls. 

Standard tradional naming convention. 

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

He was the first one I thought of, Danny Ward was someone else that came to mind.

We’ll end it there on young up and coming English coaches going there...

3 hours ago, muckymunksy said:

Honestly thought he might of gone maybe Leeds again.

You look at wire yeh they have some cash but there squad is awful on paper and there best player is off Aus. 

Think he could win something but not till probably is 3rd season. 

I'm really sorry but is it so difficult to word this in readable form?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

John Kear as Football Directory, before he retires with James Ford as Head Coach.

Castleford have a tough job replacing Daryl, get it wrong and they could easily end up where they were prior to him. Featherstone struggled to replace him and Castleford most certainly will too. 

What is situation with Ryan Sheridan? I assume he'll be going with him.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Both this wire team and probably Powell himself have something to prove. Will hope that the rugby is better to watch than it has been at times under Price. I like Cas a lot, and as a rugby outfit they seem well run, it’s intriguing to see where they go from here as things do seem to have stagnated a touch. Could be good for all parties.

Now I know that Cas have won their first 2 games, which obviously helps, but Powell seemed a lot more content when shown on TV, obviously he is also really looking forward to the move. Question is, can he change Warringtons culture of being good but not quite good enough.

Whilst I think he's a miserable beggar and plays the victim too much for my liking, this is exactly the kind of coach we should be getting. 

Hopefully we can get back to exciting RL at Warrington whether we win titles or not. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I think he's a miserable beggar and plays the victim too much for my liking, this is exactly the kind of coach we should be getting. 

Hopefully we can get back to exciting RL at Warrington whether we win titles or not. 

Why do you want a miserable beggar that plays the victim too much?

12 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

John Kear as Football Directory, before he retires with James Ford as Head Coach.

Castleford have a tough job replacing Daryl, get it wrong and they could easily end up where they were prior to him. Featherstone struggled to replace him and Castleford most certainly will too. 

What is situation with Ryan Sheridan? I assume he'll be going with him.

Its possibly the biggest decision the club has had to make in the past 20 years if not more. 

They need someone who'll get as much out of the limited resources and facilities at Cas as Powell. You mention James Ford and I agree he is one of the obvious candidates, but if he's getting the backing from York to be full time etc its not impossible to see why he'd see the Knights as a more favourable mid term option - especially if he can get them promoted.

I don't see Cas looking to Australia, at least not at first.

James Ford won't go based on this 

Ross Heppenstall on Twitter:

I asked York City Knights head coach James Ford earlier about succeeding Daryl Powell at Cas Tigers.

Ford said unequivocally: “I've got a job to do at York. I've got a good squad here with great facilities and I'm really committed to doing the best I possibly can for York.”

My guess would be Lee Radford. Good experience and I think would do well at Cas. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Why do you want a miserable beggar that plays the victim too much?

:kolobok_biggrin: that's a good question, my post wasn't the best, typed quickly while busy!

Im happy to have a British coach, and one that has proven he can do a good job at this level, getting a team playing entertaining RL. His teams often perform better than expectations and he seems decent with the young lads. 

The miserable thing bugs me, but Smith also had that in him and he's the best coach we have had in my lifetime. 

55 minutes ago, YoungBanno said:

James Ford won't go based on this 

Ross Heppenstall on Twitter:

I asked York City Knights head coach James Ford earlier about succeeding Daryl Powell at Cas Tigers.

Ford said unequivocally: “I've got a job to do at York. I've got a good squad here with great facilities and I'm really committed to doing the best I possibly can for York.”

My guess would be Lee Radford. Good experience and I think would do well at Cas. 

Indeed, which speaks to a point about why this appointment for Powell's replacement is so critical:

How much of Cas being a top 6 team is down to Powell? The fact that most people I think would put that in percentage terms at a significantly high level demonstrates the importance of this move for Cas. He's been able to turn a lot of not very fancied players into genuine top of Super League quality professionals.

Without Powell, or a coach of his calibre, clubs like York quite reasonably could see themselves as equal to if not better than the Tigers in the near future - certainly with better facilities.

Archived