Daryl Powell to Wire

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, which speaks to a point about why this appointment for Powell's replacement is so critical:

How much of Cas being a top 6 team is down to Powell? The fact that most people I think would put that in percentage terms at a significantly high level demonstrates the importance of this move for Cas. He's been able to turn a lot of not very fancied players into genuine top of Super League quality professionals.

Without Powell, or a coach of his calibre, clubs like York quite reasonably could see themselves as equal to if not better than the Tigers in the near future - certainly with better facilities.

I'd also point out, it's not just Powell - Sheridan has a huge say in how they play too, especially in the defence.

I don't think Radford is the man for Cas.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, which speaks to a point about why this appointment for Powell's replacement is so critical:

How much of Cas being a top 6 team is down to Powell? The fact that most people I think would put that in percentage terms at a significantly high level demonstrates the importance of this move for Cas. He's been able to turn a lot of not very fancied players into genuine top of Super League quality professionals.

Without Powell, or a coach of his calibre, clubs like York quite reasonably could see themselves as equal to if not better than the Tigers in the near future - certainly with better facilities.

What's more is that a lot of the Cas side are at the latter end of their career. Yes they've supplemented it recently with younger players such as Richardson and Evalds, but I expect Trueman will be on Powell's radar to go to Wire. They could be vulnerable during any transitionary period if not handled well

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's just like Sheffield Wednesday being the Owls. 

Standard tradional naming convention. 

Not really Dave there's a distinct difference in preference going on between the stakeholders.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

25 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What's more is that a lot of the Cas side are at the latter end of their career. Yes they've supplemented it recently with younger players such as Richardson and Evalds, but I expect Trueman will be on Powell's radar to go to Wire. They could be vulnerable during any transitionary period if not handled well

Indeed, as we know that transition period can be a nightmare!

21 hours ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

Salford the only club named after a major pollutant. (Salford dioxide).

I s'pose it's better than being named afte a Toc H lamp!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Would Castleford fans rather Powell move on now? I can’t see him lasting the full season, surely it’d be better to make the change sooner rather than later.

He is contracted.  Gardening leave is expensive.

29 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Daryl Powell is a good coach, and I like him.

As a Warrington fan though, I can't help being a bit underwhelmed by this appointment.

Not really sure why, as he is very thorough, and detail-focused as I understand it. But I am struggling to get excited about this one. 

Who would you have liked? 

Has this been posted yet?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

For whatever reason it doesn't look like all is well at Cas 

I would guess that the answer is ££. Cas aren't the richest club in SL by a long way and keeping a club going through a period of 0 paying attendances will be straining a lot of clubs finances at present. So, the answer is either sell players, move relatively expensive assets on from the backroom, or both. Its a matter of survival for clubs without a rich benefactor and maybe even some with.

4 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Daryl Powell is a good coach, and I like him.

As a Warrington fan though, I can't help being a bit underwhelmed by this appointment.

Not really sure why, as he is very thorough, and detail-focused as I understand it. But I am struggling to get excited about this one. 

4 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

just out of curiosity, was it made public who the candidates were who applied for the Wire coaching job?

from the warrington gruniad 11th march.......

“The shortlist should be formalised in the next week or so then interviews will begin.

“There’s no definitive number for how many will be on that shortlist. We will choose the candidates we think are best placed to deliver success for us.

“Whether we narrow that down to two or three people or five or six, we’ll go through the applications and see who is the right fit for what we need at this time.

“It will be a thorough process so we don’t want to put pressure on ourselves.

“As I say though, players are off-contract so we’re not going to dawdle.”

Fitzpatrick said the club have received “really strong” applicants for the role, both from these shores and from the NRL.

3 minutes ago, TBone said:

I would guess that the answer is ££. Cas aren't the richest club in SL by a long way and keeping a club going through a period of 0 paying attendances will be straining a lot of clubs finances at present. So, the answer is either sell players, move relatively expensive assets on from the backroom, or both. Its a matter of survival for clubs without a rich benefactor and maybe even some with.

when Cas sold Daryl Clark to Wire, it was to bring in £££, after the sale Cas said they were "no longer a selling club" 

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

What about Lee Briers? I can't see him staying at Warrington, new broom and all that. 

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What about Lee Briers? I can't see him staying at Warrington, new broom and all that. 

When Daryl and Ryan came to Castleford, Danny Orr stayed until last year. 

Lee Briers will stay.

1 hour ago, voteronniegibbs said:

when Cas sold Daryl Clark to Wire, it was to bring in £££, after the sale Cas said they were "no longer a selling club" 

So did they have a crystal ball that warned them of the impending recking ball that is covid? No. Like all of us in this time businesses have to adapt to survive and what was said years ago is just a fading memory. I’m not saying that Cas are going to sell players but they sure as hell are likely to be sharpening their bugetting pencils if they haven’t done so already (and maybe caused some people to do their onw reassessment of where their future lies).

9 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I don't really know Chris.

I think Warrington needs to have a "big club attitude" to succeed. I think this because they have to compete against Wigan and Saints, who seem to have a real 'culture of excellence' in everything they try to do. These clubs have Academy players who graduate to 1st team, and appear to be SuperLeague ready at like 19 etc. 

Warrington don't have that. They have never (IMO) developed that winning culture from top to bottom. I think that is why they are serial runners up.

So... I think they should have gone for an Australian coach with 'big' NRL experience. Someone who would demand things from the board in terms of budgets etc, and demand consistency of performance from the playing group. That would help to instil the 'Big Club' feeling that seems to have drifted away a wee bit.

Am really not sure who is available, who would fit that bill. As I say, I like Powell, and definitely wish him the best, but he just doesn't really excite me.

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I think Briers needs to go and become a head coach. He was never going to get the gig at Wire. 

A ridiculous situation that only rugby league could find itself in.

Can't think of any other sport where a similar situation has ever occurred.

Ridiculous that 2 players have just extended their contracts at Castleford. 

I think Andrew Henderson has served his apprenticeship, with regard to coaching.

Be good if he returned to Castleford as head coach.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Sometimes familiarity at clubs can be a negative and this is one example.  

I do also think it's a gamble to give somebody their first Head Coach gig at one of the biggest club roles in the UK. I think he needs to learn what he is all about as a Head Coach and you won't do that as an assistant. 

He needs to do what Sean Long is doing really, getting out there and getting experience and learnign.

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do also think it's a gamble to give somebody their first Head Coach gig at one of the biggest club roles in the UK. I think he needs to learn what he is all about as a Head Coach and you won't do that as an assistant. 

He needs to do what Sean Long is doing really, getting out there and getting experience and learnign.

The prosecution presents exhibit A: Mr K Cunningham. 

Archived