Fri 9th Apr: CC3: York City Knights v Wigan Warriors KO 19:45 (The Sportsman)

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• York City Knights
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/04/21 at 19:15

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Beauty of a dummy from Hastings.

Hastings has been superb all game. Lot of errors and daft penalties from Wigan, but Hastings has produced several really nice defence splitting touches.

2 minutes ago, tonyvikinggee said:

I like the way York work as a club and have built this squad up over the last few years. But its a very workmanlike team and lacks the kind of creativity you need to break a solid defence down. 

They've got Washbrook and Cuthbertson at half back 

3 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Poor sod. Imagine being the son of one of the best ever players. Reckon I would’ve chosen a career as a pig farmer instead of attempting to follow that act! 

At least he's got a different first name. Imagine the expectations that rested on the shoulders of racing driver Juan Manuel Fangio II, nephew of the real deal.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, tonyvikinggee said:

I like the way York work as a club and have built this squad up over the last few years. But its a very workmanlike team and lacks the kind of creativity you need to break a solid defence down. 

Remember, this is a Championship part-time side missing both 1st choice half-backs.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They've got Washbrook and Cuthbertson at half back 

"Where's me Washbrook?"

hqdefault.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

York youngster Towse knocks the ball free from Hanley's hands to prevent another Wigan score.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Not seeing it with young Hanley. Is he definitely Ellery’s son?

I've seen nothing particularly convincing from him yet, but he's still very young and inexperienced.

It may help that he looks physically like a different type of player to his dad, so the comparisons may not be so nagging to him.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I've seen nothing particularly convincing from him yet, but he's still very young and inexperienced.

It may help that he looks physically like a different type of player to his dad, so the comparisons may not be so nagging to him.

I’m loathe to write off a young’un but you’d think against patched-up part-timers he’d show something. I’m honestly struggling to see why he’s in the side or what he’ll offer in the long term. 

All over, but York have put up a good fight, against a Wigan side that looked far less rusty than they did at the start of the season.

York 0:26 Wigan

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoyed that.

Decent contest, and I thought that York showed up pretty well.

It was good to listen to a balanced commentary. If that was Sky it would have been ruined by the usual expectation that Wigan would butcher York, so it was good to hear both teams treated equally.

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

yep, he's fresh out of the box really, and his stature / build is not that of his dad, he certainly enjoyed his try

Just now, voteronniegibbs said:

yep, he's fresh out of the box really, and his stature / build is not that of his dad, he certainly enjoyed his try

Physically he looks more like Kieran Dixon than the stocky and deep-chested Ellery. Maybe, when he gets a clean break, he'll turn out to be a speedster.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m loathe to write off a young’un but you’d think against patched-up part-timers he’d show something. I’m honestly struggling to see why he’s in the side or what he’ll offer in the long term. 

Think that is a patched up comment to be honest.  I remember Gary Connally looking stupid when he was 18. 

The Wigan team was at half pace and spent most of its time inside it's own half.  But York barely made an impression on the try line. 

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Physically he looks more like Kieran Dixon than the stocky and deep-chested Ellery. Maybe, when he gets a clean break, he'll turn out to be a speedster.

Worth watching some of the video clips of his schoolboy games, he's a real standout in some of those. Very quick and elusive.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Looks like he’s a season away from Superleague,a spell on loan once Wigan’s first choice wingers are back wouldn’t do him any harm.

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Worth watching some of the video clips of his schoolboy games, he's a real standout in some of those. Very quick and elusive.

Links?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived