wot - no scrums?

On 06/04/2021 at 19:01, The Frying Scotsman said:

What does that mean exactly?

"On their side" 😆

All the serious contenders for the World Cup: Aus, NZ, Tonga pick overwhelmingly from the NRL. The NRL has scrums.

Of the 'next' tier of countries: France and England effectively play without scrums. However PNG (lower league Australian comps), Samoa, Fiji all are Aus/NRL based for the most part.

You seem to be suggesting that it is some kind of England v Australia argument. Nearly everyone uses scrums so I think there is zero doubt they will be present in the World Cup. It's up to France and England to get up to speed with what the big boys are doing. 

For the sake of factual accuracy, FS, French domestic competition is still played with scrums.  How many of the international French squad will have lately played at that level is, of course, another matter.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

For the sake of factual accuracy, FS, French domestic competition is still played with scrums.  How many of the international French squad will have lately played at that level is, of course, another matter.

I didn't even think it was necessary to mention that TBH, which is why I said France "effectively" play without scrums, given that Catalans and TO both play in the English league system. 

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

I laughed because you left out England.

That's because I think they have no chance of winning it.

You are obviously privy to information that I am not, if you find it worthy of a laugh, but basing it on their last performances where they were beaten by NZ twice, and Tonga, I would say that the idea of them winning it is laughable. They are certainly not serious contenders.

Of course they managed to beat PNG in the last game of the tour, but PNG is a 3rd world country, with a team composed mostly of part time players. Even the English would find it hard to lose to them.

37 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I didn't even think it was necessary to mention that TBH, which is why I said France "effectively" play without scrums, given that Catalans and TO both play in the English league system. 

Fair enough, though Catalans, to be pedantic, play in the Super League Europe!

On 07/04/2021 at 02:32, The Frying Scotsman said:

I'd go 4th.

I know PNG smashed them on the last tour, but I suspect England would have enough depth to squeak past them over a whole tournament.

Don't be silly, that was Great Britain. Completely different, oh yes.

Archived