Thanks for the asteroid

40 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The one that killed the dinosaurs , essentially what created ( eventually ) humans 

Cheers ' Asty ' 👍

i preferred space invaders or frogger

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Be awesome if dinosaurs were still around . David Attenboroughs programmes would be even better

Garry-Schofield.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

As any fule knows the reason the dinosaurs died out is.......

The Far Side

Geology Tweets on Twitter: "Mass Extinction That Killed the Dinosaurs Was  All About the Asteroid – Not Volcanoes https://t.co/b8KZ1zJr7s"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

Be awesome if dinosaurs were still around . David Attenboroughs programmes would be even better

Their descendants are flying round singing to each other in the trees outside my house in the early hours of the morning every day.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Their descendants are flying round singing to each other in the trees outside my house in the early hours of the morning every day.

Love ‘em , even if they wake me up first thing walking on the roof in hobnail boots by the sound of it . I find feeding and watching the birds for hours far better than watching the telly most of the time 

On 06/04/2021 at 20:48, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I wouldn't mind an asteroid smashing straight into Earth right now and wiping every living thing out. 

An interesting thought , given the one that did for T Rex was about 9 miles wide , so was the equivalent of a grain of sand hitting a bowling ball , would we actually see one coming as we've seen in the movies ? 

They estimate it was travelling at 40,000 miles per hour 

I think the history of our planet is absolutely fascinating. I know it's an impossibility but I would give anything to be able to time travel back to see the Earth in it's previous lives. To think that right now, if there were other beings on planets millions and millions of light years away that could see close up images of Earth, they would very likely be able to see dinosaurs roaming around, this thought is mind blowing to me.

As for the theory that an asteroid wiped out all the dinosaurs, well I'm not sure about that. Why do we need to come up with a reason that they all died suddenly? Dinosaurs existed on Earth for around 100/200 million years and that seems like a successful existence to me.

We've barely existed on this planet for a fraction of that time yet we've done an astonishing amount of damage to it, damage that will very likely see the human population gradually wiped out itself in a similar fraction of the time that the dinosaurs ruled, with no need for the assistance of an asteroid.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

16 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I think the history of our planet is absolutely fascinating. I know it's an impossibility but I would give anything to be able to time travel back to see the Earth in it's previous lives. To think that right now, if there were other beings on planets millions and millions of light years away that could see close up images of Earth, they would very likely be able to see dinosaurs roaming around, this thought is mind blowing to me.

As for the theory that an asteroid wiped out all the dinosaurs, well I'm not sure about that. Why do we need to come up with a reason that they all died suddenly? Dinosaurs existed on Earth for around 100/200 million years and that seems like a successful existence to me.

We've barely existed on this planet for a fraction of that time yet we've done an astonishing amount of damage to it, damage that will very likely see the human population gradually wiped out itself in a similar fraction of the time that the dinosaurs ruled, with no need for the assistance of an asteroid

In truth the vast majority of the damage has been done in the last 250 years , essentially the industrial revolution , prior to that our impact on the planet was largely insignificant 

So as you put , the dinosaurs ruled for 150 million years without any damage to the planets infrastructure , 250 years of ' progress ' and we're making the place toxic 🙁

I have similar thoughts about the fascination or even insistence on aliens and UFOs, etc.

Physical space exploration on Earth is by a few members of one species, in a matter of 75 years or so. It also is dependent on the right elements available in the right amounts to make glass for lenses, for example.

22 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I don't get this thinking that it's bad for mankind to pollute the planet over hundreds of years, yet it's sort of ok for an asteroid (ie nature) to wipe it out in an instant.

(NB polluting the planet is not a good thing, just saying)

As temporary "custodians" of this planet, it's surely in our best interest to ensure it's healthy survival and that of our fellow species. We are the only species that can make significant changes to the wellbeing of it and we have a responsibility to ensure it is compatible for life to continue on it.

As for the asteroid colliding with Earth and wiping out all and sundry well, it's nature, sh*t happens.

17 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I agree with looking after the place, don’t get me wrong - I was even recycling BG.

But why is it ‘acceptable’ for nature to have huge explosions and wipe things out but not for humans to do it? I aren’t arguing that we should, I just find it strange that if a Krakatoa style explosion wiped out half the earth’s population, many would just say ‘that’s life’.

Isn’t people creating things that are bad (ie nuclear or chemical weapons) just nature too? 

That's human nature though.

And if life teaches us anything, there's nowt f***ing worse.

Archived