NRL Match Thread - Round 5 - 2021

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game to watch, despite St George wearing St Helens kit and getting away with the odd forward pass, just like St Helens.  ST George deserved to win. More structured, more controlled eyc. And they kept Ferguson well and truly trussed up. 

Fair play to a Dragons side breathing fire and ending up with a scoreline that was a fair reflection of the game against the less than electric Eels.

Best performance from the Red V since winning the premiership under Wayne Bennett and light years in advance of anything produced in the McGregor years, a total transformation from the rabble spanked by Souths in the Charity Shield. The defence was superb.

NB - St George adopted the Red Vee in 1945, St Helens in 1966-67. St George are the original Red V.

Paramatta always seem to start like an express train and derail later in the season. The wheels flew off in all directions tonight. Plenty of posession, plenty of good field position, but they are a team of front-runners once they get ahead, they can stay ahead but once they get two scores behind all composure fl;ies out of the window. They were so predicable tonight, side to side favouring Ferguson's wing also SGI identified Gutherson as a weak link at full back - Corker coming up next week v Ricky's Raiders atCanberra on SKY.

By way of a comparitor, the Roosters were 14 points down with a few reserve graders against Cronulla and had the composure and Rugby League nous to come back and win. That is the difference between contenders and pretenders. Conversely SGI have done what the Sharks have not, beat a side above them in the table and emphatically too.

For once, Andrew Voss and I are in agreement SGI fans get down to Kogarah It will be worth it. 

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

This  jersey is the first time the famous red vee design was worn by St Helens RFC. The opponents were Wigan in the 1961 Challenge Cup final.

11420479.jpg?type=article-full

Your point still stands of course TRR

P.S. the shirt was worn by  Tom van Vollenhoven 

Red V aside, of course St Helens were founded as a club many years before St George. (1873 v 1920)

The other week I mentioned the 4 teams that were off the pace, now they have all produced a win, I said that I was surprised that the Dragon's weren't amongst them and they played the best game I have seen from them especially defensively for years. I didn't include the Tigers because I believed Maguire to be the sort of strong coach they have lacked previously, wrong again it seems.

Which all goes to prove after 60 year's watching and playing the game I know nothing about it! That's why I like it so much, it continues to suprise and astound you. My redeeming thought is that I long ago gave up putting money where my mouth is😔

11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Fair play to a Dragons side breathing fire and ending up with a scoreline that was a fair reflection of the game against the less than electric Eels.

Best performance from the Red V since winning the premiership under Wayne Bennett and light years in advance of anything produced in the McGregor years, a total transformation from the rabble spanked by Souths in the Charity Shield. The defence was superb.

NB - St George adopted the Red Vee in 1945, St Helens in 1966-67. St George are the original Red V.

Paramatta always seem to start like an express train and derail later in the season. The wheels flew off in all directions tonight. Plenty of posession, plenty of good field position, but they are a team of front-runners once they get ahead, they can stay ahead but once they get two scores behind all composure fl;ies out of the window. They were so predicable tonight, side to side favouring Ferguson's wing also SGI identified Gutherson as a weak link at full back - Corker coming up next week v Ricky's Raiders atCanberra on SKY.

By way of a comparitor, the Roosters were 14 points down with a few reserve graders against Cronulla and had the composure and Rugby League nous to come back and win. That is the difference between contenders and pretenders. Conversely SGI have done what the Sharks have not, beat a side above them in the table and emphatically too.

For once, Andrew Voss and I are in agreement SGI fans get down to Kogarah It will be worth it. 

Curious by your comment that St George targeted Gutherson as a weak link, can you elaborate?

To me, they won it up front by dominating the forward pack. The Eels don’t have the same strength on the bench either

Great game that, thoroughly enjoyed it, probably more than any other game over the weekend. Plenty of errors but the intensity and speed of the play was a delight and decent skill level at times. St George we’re worthy winners but it did frustrate me that the Eels had a try chalked off for the Paulo obstruction, which would’ve setup a wonderful finale. There’s a very different interpretation of that rule in SL, whereby if the video ref rules that the defender wouldn’t have got there in their opinion then the try is still awarded. I prefer this interpretation because otherwise defenders just drop like flies looking for the penalty

On 11/04/2021 at 07:56, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If anyone finds a 14 point lead can it be returned to John Morris c/o Cronulla Leagues Club, Wooloooware. Another demonstration of why the club is taking its time over externding his contract.

Craig Bellamy can't be too happy at Melbourne conceding three tries to the mussled Bulldogs. Given the sparse crowd at Stadium Australia, and I know a bit about spare crowds at stadiums unfortunately, maybe they ought to consider a return to Belmore for more than just the one game per season.

Talking about sparse crowds, Being the best team in Queensland seems to have had little effect on Gold Coast numbers. Which is sad because having been at their first ever game v St George at Suncorp I have always had a paternal interest in the Titans wellbeing. As for Newcastle, injuries don't help, but they do appear to have gone backwards since the promise shown last year.

Sticking with with my predictions that the wheels will not come off the Eels tomorrow morning.

The word was last night on Big League Wrap on Fox Rugby League was that John Morris is gone and Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, will be at the Sharks as head coach as of 2022 season.

17 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

16 hours ago, Graham said:

This  jersey is the first time the famous red vee design was worn by St Helens RFC. The opponents were Wigan in the 1961 Challenge Cup final.

11420479.jpg?type=article-full

Your point still stands of course TRR

P.S. the shirt was worn by  Tom van Vollenhoven 

Red V aside, of course St Helens were founded as a club many years before St George. (1873 v 1920)

Just to clear up a few points of St George Dragons History....The Club was very close to playing in the foundation Rugby League comp in 1908 but at the last minute backed out and stayed with Rugby Union but however a St George team took part in the 3rd grade Sydney rugby league comp in 1910 and the first grade comp in 1921.

The Red V was first worn by the St George Dragons in 1929.

For more history of the St George Dragons visit the following websites.

St George Illawarra Dragons - Jubilee Avenue

The Best Dressed Team in Football | St George District RLFC (stgeorgedragons.com.au)

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

Archived