Salford could become homeless

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

RL in Manchester feels on life support.  Salford stadium too big and nowhere near the city.  Swinton were talking years ago about building ground but never happened.  Rochdale ground way too big.  Oldham homeless. No Manchester academy. 

This isnt a "they should merge" message but could Salford and Swinton gang up to get a 5000 3G stadium somewhere?

Makes decision to not let in Manchester Rangers look massively short sighted

Your right, it's knackered in greater Manchester. I don't think the fans of Oldham or Rochdale would accept a Manchester club, don't know about Swinton. I know I wouldn't because I've supported Oldham since I was about 7 and I can't see me following anyone else, apart from Saddleworth Rangers. Manchester Rangers should've been brought in to represent a new area and try to expand the game. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

OK. I had no idea, so googled it and a figure round about 7900 came up. For the last season that they had crowds.

How much do they average?

Their lowest average at the AJ Bell has been 6152 and the highest 6660. Their average over the entire period would be 6359.

13 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

If Sale buy it, that may well be subject to the existing leases. If not, you would expect that Salford would be entitled to some sort of compensation in lieu of the remaining lease which in turn may well offset against what is owed to the council.

There was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about the land around the stadium being developed. The Sale owners are not stupid and well connected. They will have done there sums. Can’t see Salford getting close.

That being said, can’t see why Sale would want Salford out. If nothing else they help share the bills. Even better make it a year round business and merge the 2. 

They want to hit RL.  Their game is RU.  If the Salford football club want to share (as hinted by the MEN) then that word suit Sale.

Its worth pointing out that Sale is nowhere near Salford (and it's whole history and ethos is also miles away), but are clearly wanting to put roots down there.  Why? Because it's convenient and available.  Because RU is intent on growing (It's got the investment!), Sale will be after the Manchester 'brand', indeed the Lancashire brand the fan and player catchment area, the TV exposure. Sale will want to get all the northwest valuable fan and advertising it can get.

It is just this season's drama.

I think Salford and Sale have some sponsors in common now. 

Salford don't have the money to buy the stadium unless we have a major investor. not sure how good an investment it would be as the company is losing lots of money.

15 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Could Salford not move in with the football team? It's a smaller ground and they'd probably appreciate the financial support!

Salford City are a lot of things, but short of cash is not one of them!

MEN seems to suggest they may be in cahoots with Sale in terms of buying the ground. Although a sizeable amount has been spent on Moor Lane, they're essentially temporary stands and I expect the land it sits on is worth a fortune.

2 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

It is just this season's drama.

I think Salford and Sale have some sponsors in common now. 

Salford don't have the money to buy the stadium unless we have a major investor. not sure how good an investment it would be as the company is losing lots of money.

Sale are keen now to base themselves as in Salford.  Is there any benefit in Salford being based elsewhere?

Problems for Salford are to do with investment.

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Salford City are a lot of things, but short of cash is not one of them!

MEN seems to suggest they may be in cahoots with Sale in terms of buying the ground. Although a sizeable amount has been spent on Moor Lane, they're essentially temporary stands and I expect the land it sits on is worth a fortune.

Can Salford move to Moor Lane?

I apologise, I am being somewhat facetious.  I believe this is an extremely serious issue and moment for RL.

I wonder if the CVA that Salford failed to comply with, which people on here where saying was a great bit of business, may come back to bite them on the backside in all this. Salford City Council were of course a major creditor.

I think if sale nuy the stadium theyd be very unlikely to want Salford out as it would be a tactical mistake.

A lot of the political support for extending the tram to the aj bell is because of rugby league, the planned name for the stop is Salford reds iirc. Sale would be idiots to do something that would prevent them getting a transit line to their front door.

I agree long term Salford becoming sales tenant could be worrying. Not out of malice, but out the the problems of being the 2nd tier tenant we've seen at several football gourds.

16 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Can Salford move to Moor Lane?

I apologise, I am being somewhat facetious.  I believe this is an extremely serious issue and moment for RL.

If Salford City were to buy the AJ Bell alongside Sale then I'd expect Moor Lane to be sold for housing to finance said move and/or line the pockets of the sainted 'Class of 92'.

Even with the ground improvements, I wouldn't expect Moor Lane - a former home of Swinton, no less - to be suitable for Super League as it is still pretty basic in real terms and the pitch is both small and in poor condition.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

They want to hit RL.  Their game is RU.  If the Salford football club want to share (as hinted by the MEN) then that word suit Sale.

Its worth pointing out that Sale is nowhere near Salford (and it's whole history and ethos is also miles away), but are clearly wanting to put roots down there.  Why? Because it's convenient and available.  Because RU is intent on growing (It's got the investment!), Sale will be after the Manchester 'brand', indeed the Lancashire brand the fan and player catchment area, the TV exposure. Sale will want to get all the northwest valuable fan and advertising it can get.

As the crow flies the AJ Bell is no more than a couple of miles from Sale’s training ground at Carrington. Their old ground at Heywood Road is 5 miles away compared to Salford’s old ground 4 miles away. 

It be said that the AJ Bell is further away from their traditional base (albeit within the city boundary) than Sale are from theirs. Certainly Sale for whatever reason appear to have made a better go of their tenure than have Salford. 

As for the football club I’d suggest that  Salford would be a better fit than Sale because of the separate seasons. Perhaps the football club should make a bid for Salford.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If Salford City were to buy the AJ Bell alongside Sale then I'd expect Moor Lane to be sold for housing to finance said move and/or line the pockets of the sainted 'Class of 92'.

Even with the ground improvements, I wouldn't expect Moor Lane - a former home of Swinton, no less - to be suitable for Super League as it is still pretty basic in real terms and the pitch is both small and in poor condition.

Moor Lane is a pretty good stadium now, but the pitch size is too small these days, it was only just legal when the Mighty Lions were sharing.

18 hours ago, Josef K said:

I remember Stockport County fan’s not being happy with the attitude of Sale when they played their game’s there. 

Sale sharks are vultures 

Have a fairly rich owner, but not that rich 

I presume Salford could get a 100 year mortgage off the council or something 

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Moor Lane is a pretty good stadium now, but the pitch size is too small these days, it was only just legal when the Mighty Lions were sharing.

Although it looks good on the surface, the actual stands are temporary metal steps rather than concrete terracing, with the toilets and food outlets still being portakabins and the like. But yes the pitch would be a big issue.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Sale are keen now to base themselves as in Salford.  Is there any benefit in Salford being based elsewhere?

Problems for Salford are to do with investment.

Why don't Salford merge with swinton 

Salford lions 

Then build their own ground 

16 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

No, it wouldn’t. Not that it would happen, Salford City FC have spent loads refurbing their ground and wouldn’t want or need to move to Salford RL’s ground. 

They may need to if they get promoted to league 1 though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Why would they?

I don't believe that there current ground meets the criteria for that division. Veering off topic though.

It has been reported that they MAY be interested in acquiring the J J Bell - probably just journalistic speculation.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

I don't believe that there current ground meets the criteria for that division. Veering off topic though.

It has been reported that they MAY be interested in acquiring the J J Bell - probably just journalistic speculation.

I am not aware of any requirements between League Two and League One. I think the next lot of requirements would need to be implemented around 4-5 seasons of Championship football. There’s ground requirements to get into the Football League and then the next lot at Championship level, IIRC. 

24 minutes ago, The storm said:

Sale sharks are vultures 

Have a fairly rich owner, but not that rich 

I presume Salford could get a 100 year mortgage off the council or something 

The council are one step removed from the stadium management company, through which all discussions regarding purchase, lease, rents etc are channelled. The owners of the other 50% are Peel holdings who certainly wouldn't sell if they believe there to be a medium-term advantage in retaining the property.

5 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

You could throw Swinton into the mix as well. Having their own ground then losing it. The amateur situation in Oldham isn't too bad with Saddleworth Rangers (my club), St Anne's, waterhead and the others doing OK. The problem is that kids want to support big teams eg Leeds, Wigan etc. The same as soccer with kids wanting to support united, City, Liverpool etc. They don't seem to be interested in their own town team. 

Fair enough Moorside and good to hear.

I really thought it was slowly dying out. 

Archived