Suing a company

My wife bought stuff from a major clothes store. She returned most of it as it was just rubbish quality in some way or another.

They promised a refund, didn't pay.

They said "it's being paid, it's in the system", they didn't.

Sent them a formal "pay or be sued". They didn't.

We did a Small Claims Court thing, they didn't bother responding so default judgement being entered against them.

Now, I think they'll ignore the CCJ. It's under the £600 limit to send in the heavies so I can only send in the County Court bailiffs.

To send in those bailiffs is an extra £70 or so, anyone know my chances of them actually paying up even with the bailiffs at the door?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Have you looked on Money Saving Expert website and forum?

Pah, why go to amateurs like that when I have the TRL crew filled with northern folk.

Did you know copper wire was invented by two northerners fighting over a penny?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

16 minutes ago, ckn said:

Pah, why go to amateurs like that when I have the TRL crew filled with northern folk.

Did you know copper wire was invented by two northerners fighting over a penny?

As shown by your response to my vaccine queue query, some of us northern folk (me) sit around on our fat backside waiting for the issue to be sorted!!

Jokes aside I use MSE as and when I need to and most things tend to end up posted at least once on there. They also have some decent helpful people who appear to know what they're talking about! You may be familiar with the site or not but it's one I'd recommend.

I'd back up Hindle on MSE.

Or, if you search right and hold your nose, Mumsnet invariably has covered the topic (and almost certainly the company) and will have some folk who know what they're talking about. It was how we were able to get our holiday refund sorted eventually last year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

50 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The problem you face with taking them to the small claims court is Covid has backed up all court cases, so your small case may take 100 years or so.

Lucky the case was heard and judgement in ckn's favour then 

I was going to ask a similar question about suing a company.

Some years ago I bought an electric soldering iron.

Last week, having encountered a problem I consulted the manual that came with it. Having carefully perused the document, I can say that no where does it point out that the thing has a hot end and no where does it say that one should only hold the cold end when using it.

" Where there is blame...." 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Have to agree with either MSE or Chargeback

Used chargeback last year - have to wait 30 days for the Scammer/retailer to object or place a counter claim and then its automatic back onto the card that was used

24 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Look into doing a Section 75 (credit card) or chargeback (debit card). I had to do a chargeback after a travel agency tried to not refund me for flights purchased last year. The process was pretty straightforward and I got all the money back. 

Unfortunately because goods were delivered fairly the bank aren't playing with a chargeback as it doesn't fit within the rules. They did help with what to do with a letter before action and a court claim though.

Right - disclaimer; I only base my thoughts on having watched a few episodes of 'Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away' tv programme, but....

With a County Court Judgement/Writ, a bailiff is instructed to take payment of the outstanding debt, or seize goods to cover the value, at the address on the claim. I have seen large companies (including Borough Councils -  a parking fine for the Mayoral Car! 🤣) being forced to pay up on the spot. There appears to be little to stop the execution of a writ occuring if there is a court document to back up the claim, which it appears there is in this case. 

FWIW, I think your £70 would be well spent.

Archived