Manchester

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/04/2021 at 22:59, Big Picture said:

Of course the Grand Final doesn't cut through, it's the GF of a small regional league contested by teams from smallish towns which Mancunians don't rate.  There wasn't the interest in Toronto either until Eric Pérez set up the Wolfpack and they created the interest which wasn't there before, that's what would be needed in Manchester or indeed any other big city in Britain.

How’s that going?.

13 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I'm on about the metro stop. There's another stadium but once again, it's a 'multi-sport' (athletics) arena. I'm on about the city academy which has no athletics track. 

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Understood. 

Is this it? Academy Stadium is a football stadium in Manchester, England, forming part of the Etihad Campus. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Stadium

The plan was to use the athletics stadium, immediately adjacent to the main Etihad Stadium, owned by the council and a venue for the Women's Grand Final and North West Counties finals previously, rather than the Academy Stadium which is owned by Man City directly for the purpose of their women's team and development squad.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

It is nice to see a thread designed to keep the idiots busy.

Manchester will never happen, neither will Liverpool, but if it keeps you blanket suckers happy.....

mind you I can never understand why a sport couldn't capitalise on being a non big city sport.   

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

mind you I can never understand why a sport couldn't capitalise on being a non big city sport.   

Professional sport rather depends on being played where people are.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Professional sport rather depends on being played where people are.

yep, but can also  grow outside of the big cities too, and hence maybe use an aspect of that in any marketing considerations.

Its not mutually exclusive..

The borders between big cities are not patrolled at present, so people who live in Manchester can go (and possibly do already) watch Oldham, Salford, Swinton with impunity, and ease. People tend to move house, too, and may take their club loyalty with them. 

18 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep, but can also  grow outside of the big cities too, and hence maybe use an aspect of that in any marketing considerations.

Its not mutually exclusive..

Indeed, part of the reason RL thrives so much in St Helens, Widnes and Warrington is because it’s the biggest ticket in town. If they were bigger places they’d have a league football team to compete with. Same for Leigh and I assume places like Castleford and Wakey. 

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

It is nice to see a thread designed to keep the idiots busy.

Manchester will never happen, neither will Liverpool, but if it keeps you blanket suckers happy.....

I think I'm more of a window-licker, especially on long bus trips.

30 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There needs to be more love for Salford, Swinton, Oldham and Rochdale.

The clubs that we have in other words.

I think though, that they have proven over the years that they have done their best. 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There needs to be more love for Salford, Swinton, Oldham and Rochdale.

The clubs that we have in other words.

There is lots of love for those clubs, but they’re the people who can help themselves, if it’s possible.

Salford have obviously been having a purple patch lately, Swinton seem stronger than they were a couple of years back, Oldham got promoted and Rochdale have ambitious new owners. All in all the pro/semi-pro game in GM seems a bit stronger than it was 3 years ago, from an outsider’s point of view. 

Make no mistake. I'd like to see a competitive SL side in Manchester. That would require a lot of things that I don't think the game has. By "the game" I mean the RFL and SL. Sure, York and Newcastle may well be able to do it through organic growth but it will be tough and if it takes too long, the owners may well not have enough stamina and money. Somehow, Catalans have managed it but it's been rocky, but London seem to be hanging in by their fingernails, and not in SL at present, either.

Manchester needs

1. The will to do it and see it through.

2. The money to do it to see it through.

3. The ownership and management to do it and see it through

4. The players to do it and see it through.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Make no mistake. I'd like to see a competitive SL side in Manchester. That would require a lot of things that I don't think the game has. By "the game" I mean the RFL and SL. Sure, York and Newcastle may well be able to do it through organic growth but it will be tough and if it takes too long, the owners may well not have enough stamina and money. Somehow, Catalans have managed it but it's been rocky, but London seem to be hanging in by their fingernails, and not in SL at present, either.

Manchester needs

1. The will to do it and see it through.

2. The money to do it to see it through.

3. The ownership and management to do it and see it through

4. The players to do it and see it through.

And 5. The volunteers to see it through. It takes the planets aligning to get all of that together. 

On 10/04/2021 at 08:44, Mr Plow said:

I think if the RFL were to decide key areas to invest in for growth in the UK I’d be looking at Newcastle, London, Midlands and Manchester. Biggest city on the M62 corridor. It does seem to me from an outsiders view that there are some clubs just happy with being at the level they’re at. 

As I said previously, Salford have been the success story of the past couple of years. If they had crowds on 7-8k on a regular basis I think people would have a different view of them

RL did invest in said areas then Lewis left and Big Nige pulled the funding from said areas!

Reforming GB for no good reason was also damaging!

Rochdale has never considered itself part of Manchester.

Rochdale Hornets evidently sold their soul when they cashed in by flogging their Athletic Grounds stadium to the Morrisons Supermarket Group in the 80's.

Rochdale, historically, was a once proud town but it's been continually mismanaged by incompetent freeloaders posing as Council Leaders. Local Sport was the last thing on their agenda.

Irrespective of the Council blunders Hornets had a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket to solidify a genuine vibrant future with the Morrisons dosh. Sadly they foolishly squandered it or controversially directed it where it wasn't intended.

They've been playing out soulless lower league encounters amidst the echoes of incredibly small crowds at the local football stadium ever since.

There are new people with fresh objectives for a turnaround at the club now. I wish them well and hope Hornets can get a bit more pride and local recognition back.

22 hours ago, redjonn said:

OOH, now the guys & girls from Leeds are going to get upset, and Hull, Both City's. I would lock your door.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived