Manchester

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Manchester Regional Arena, on the eithiad campus where rfl are based and now city built their own stadium it is largely unused. Athletics track around but some tempt stands behind the goals and it would be ok to grow a club at. 

What Manchester Rangers played on?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Giving this a bump. With Salford facing homeless and an already marooned Swinton and Oldham facing the drop, might it be time for the RFL to throw up a mea culpa and as they move into the Ethidad Campus get a new team playing out of the MRA? 

You been asleep the last eighteen months or so?

Can I throw in a brief history of one attempt to launch a community club carrying the Manchester name?  After 15 reasonably successful years as members of the Pennine League under the title of Tameside Brough, playing at Droylsden (about four miles from the city centre (and barely one from the current Etihad set-up) we were invited by the new Summer Conference (soon to be National League Three) to change our name to Manchester and  apply for membership. At a meeting in the Ramada Hotel off Deansgate, Manchester Knights were born in 1997. Our home ground in the first year was Aldwinians RUFC and our first match, against Wolverhampton Wizards, was show on Boots 'n' All and drew a crowd of some 3 to 400. Unfortunately it was a one-sided game and for that I got a rollocking from the League because it supposedly showed the new league in a bad light.

After a year we moved in with Oldham RUFC at Manor Park but that did not go down too well either and we were instructed to leave Oldham by the League because Oldham was not a "development" area. From there we moved to Dukinfield RU (about three miles away) and stayed there for two years before eventually ending up at Ashton on Mersey. Interest faded fast, players found other things to do and in the end the whole thing folded despite the best efforts of some committee members.

S in the space of five yeas and four homes the Knights had gone, Tameside Borough  which occasionally ran two open age teams and Under 16sand under 13s (helped by Mike Ford) was a name of the past.

Sad but as chairman, that was my memory of attempts to to make Manchester a name in Rugby League.

On 13/05/2021 at 21:24, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Wasn’t the plan of the last swinton chairman just to change the name to Manchester lions and base them at Heywood rd sale?

Yes the plan was to rebrand them as Manchester Lions but the club would still have been officially and legally known as Swinton Lions Rugby League club when it comes to company registration etc etc.It would have been done like what Eastern Suburbs in Sydney did when they rebranded as Sydney City Roosters back in the mid 90s(I think) and in rugby union when Penzance and Newlyn RFC rebranded as Cornish Pirates but as far as I know they are still legally known as Penzance and Newlyn RFC. And the fans of Penzance and Newlyn RFC backed it.

And in another sport,cricket the 20 overs team at Warwickshire CC are known as the Birmingham Bears.So rebranding and still being legally known as the founding name is nothing new.

But the fans did not approve and rejected it which led to the then chairman and the board walking.

Time and history will judge this one as to whether it was right or wrong.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Yes the plan was to rebrand them as Manchester Lions but the club would still have been officially and legally known as Swinton Lions Rugby League club when it comes to company registration etc etc.It would have been done like what Eastern Suburbs in Sydney did when they rebranded as Sydney City Roosters back in the mid 90s(I think) and in rugby union when Penzance and Newlyn RFC rebranded as Cornish Pirates but as far as I know they are still legally known as Penzance and Newlyn RFC. And the fans of Penzance and Newlyn RFC backed it.

And in another sport,cricket the 20 overs team at Warwickshire CC are known as the Birmingham Bears.So rebranding and still being legally known as the founding name is nothing new.

But the fans did not approve and rejected it which led to the then chairman and the board walking.

Time and history will judge this one as to whether it was right or wrong.

I was for that move but only if the lions moved to the stadium were the Manchester rangers played out of.

changing the name of swinton lions to Manchester lions whilst still based in Salford was/is pointless unless you move lock, stock and barrel to Manchester permanently.

Relocate Salford Red Devil’s to Salford city Fc ground and swinton lions to the Manchester regional arena.

Id also look to try and kick-start a grassroots expansion programme within the greater Manchester area like what the Newcastle thunder are currently doing targeting areas like Tameside, Trafford borough and gorton etc.

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Id also look to try and kick-start a grassroots expansion programme within the greater Manchester area like what the Newcastle thunder are currently doing targeting areas like Tameside, Trafford borough and gorton etc.

Trafford..... Like where Sale is you mean?

Where Swinton plays??

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On this I would just say that the metro and MRA did not exist in the past. Having a team called Manchester not playing in the city of manchester is always going to be a non starter. Also, you note the constant bane of so many teams and that is constantly moving around. The MRA can be made into a home with a well funded RL side as the main tenant with no one else seemingly having a use for it. 

If the RFL is going to base itself their it would make no sense not to try and kick start a new project for the game. 

This to me would be stating the obvious and a no-brainer but unfortunately we are talking about the RFL here.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So again it´s Sale and not Manchester. 

You are right it is Sale.

But Sale which as you will know comes under the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford,granted not the city of Manchester(though that was the plan back in 1966)but has a Manchester postcode.

And let’s not forget that Manchester United play under the same boundaries of Trafford.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I was for that move but only if the lions moved to the stadium were the Manchester rangers played out of.

changing the name of swinton lions to Manchester lions whilst still based in Salford was/is pointless unless you move lock, stock and barrel to Manchester permanently.

I think had it have happened they could have still played at Sale,after all it has a Manchester post code even if it does come under the boundaries of Trafford Council.I heard that had this have happened,Sale FC were very much on board and I was advised that Heywood Road might have been able to get some refurbishment work done stadium wise.

Maybe had it have happened then possibly the Manchester Arena would have been an eventual destination.

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fair enough, it isn´t a central location though so you´ve immediately cut off potential for a significant proportion of people to get there. A ´Manchester´team needs to be based in the centre and with that stadium empty, it should be. 

Personally I don’t particularly disagree with you.The Manchester Regional Arena in fairness would have been a good location(one day)had the rebrand have happened.

Again had the rebrand have happened I would personally have wanted any stadium to be within the borders of Trafford,ideally perhaps near the Trafford Centre.

We will probably never know what it would have been like.

Salford City FC, are based in postcode M27, traditionally the postcode of Swinton & Pendlebury, so if anyone is going to ground share with Shelf foured in should be Swinton Lions RLFC, but Salford Council don't want us in the City, and have blocked every attempt to engage with them.

17 hours ago, Johnoco said:

In the late 90's/early 00's I'm pretty sure Sale briefly rebranded themselves as Manchester Sale.

There was an better RU rebranding at the time, equally best forgotten, of the "NEC Harlequins of London".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 13/07/2021 at 15:37, Robthegasman said:

after all it has a Manchester post code

These are done by the post office aren't they?

I know they certainly didn't ask most of the people who live outside of Manchester limits and gave them one anyway.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

These are done by the post office aren't they?

I know they certainly didn't ask most of the people who live outside of Manchester limits and gave them one anyway.

Believe it or not but the original plan back in 1966 with the Redcliffe-Maud report was to put most of what is now Trafford(except for Altrincham) and what is now Salford,which includes Swinton under The city of Manchester.

But then of course the Tories won the election in 1970 and they scrapped that plan and instead decided on what is now Greater Manchester 

Archived