Manchester

7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Mancunians will not support a team that does not have Manchester in its name so this is all pointless. Bit like Saints doing a few initiatives in Liverpool and then ditching them 

Creating new community clubs around different areas of Manchester is pointless?

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Absolutely not. 

just throwing the name Manchester about is though. Just call them sale lions or Trafford lions instead.

I agree with you. I think community clubs should be named after the community they serve

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Mancunians will not support a team that does not have Manchester in its name so this is all pointless. Bit like Saints doing a few initiatives in Liverpool and then ditching them 

Yeah, it’s only the name that’s holding back the clubs around Manchester. 

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

I agree with you. I think community clubs should be named after the community they serve

I know what you mean. There is a problem, though. If we did that,  we'd have to call the England RL team the Moaning Minnies, as they serve the England RL community. 😀

In any case, thesee days, the community a team serves is far wider than the locality of the team base. People move away and watch on Tv or listen on the radio. I bet there are many current and former Lions followers who live outside the area.

Edited by JohnM

The problem with being punctual is that there is no one there to appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Giving this a bump. With Salford facing homeless and an already marooned Swinton and Oldham facing the drop, might it be time for the RFL to throw up a mea culpa and as they move into the Ethidad Campus get a new team playing out of the MRA? 

If I was the Red Devil’s I’d approach Salford city Fc about a ground share at the football club.

what’s the MRA?

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

If I was the Red Devil’s I’d approach Salford city Fc about a ground share at the football club.

what’s the MRA?

Manchester Regional Arena, on the eithiad campus where rfl are based and now city built their own stadium it is largely unused. Athletics track around but some tempt stands behind the goals and it would be ok to grow a club at. 

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Manchester Regional Arena, on the eithiad campus where rfl are based and now city built their own stadium it is largely unused. Athletics track around but some tempt stands behind the goals and it would be ok to grow a club at. 

What Manchester Rangers played on?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Giving this a bump. With Salford facing homeless and an already marooned Swinton and Oldham facing the drop, might it be time for the RFL to throw up a mea culpa and as they move into the Ethidad Campus get a new team playing out of the MRA? 

You been asleep the last eighteen months or so?

• Like 1

Can I throw in a brief history of one attempt to launch a community club carrying the Manchester name?  After 15 reasonably successful years as members of the Pennine League under the title of Tameside Brough, playing at Droylsden (about four miles from the city centre (and barely one from the current Etihad set-up) we were invited by the new Summer Conference (soon to be National League Three) to change our name to Manchester and  apply for membership. At a meeting in the Ramada Hotel off Deansgate, Manchester Knights were born in 1997. Our home ground in the first year was Aldwinians RUFC and our first match, against Wolverhampton Wizards, was show on Boots 'n' All and drew a crowd of some 3 to 400. Unfortunately it was a one-sided game and for that I got a rollocking from the League because it supposedly showed the new league in a bad light.

After a year we moved in with Oldham RUFC at Manor Park but that did not go down too well either and we were instructed to leave Oldham by the League because Oldham was not a "development" area. From there we moved to Dukinfield RU (about three miles away) and stayed there for two years before eventually ending up at Ashton on Mersey. Interest faded fast, players found other things to do and in the end the whole thing folded despite the best efforts of some committee members.

S in the space of five yeas and four homes the Knights had gone, Tameside Borough  which occasionally ran two open age teams and Under 16sand under 13s (helped by Mike Ford) was a name of the past.

Sad but as chairman, that was my memory of attempts to to make Manchester a name in Rugby League.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

On 13/05/2021 at 21:24, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Wasn’t the plan of the last swinton chairman just to change the name to Manchester lions and base them at Heywood rd sale?

Yes the plan was to rebrand them as Manchester Lions but the club would still have been officially and legally known as Swinton Lions Rugby League club when it comes to company registration etc etc.It would have been done like what Eastern Suburbs in Sydney did when they rebranded as Sydney City Roosters back in the mid 90s(I think) and in rugby union when Penzance and Newlyn RFC rebranded as Cornish Pirates but as far as I know they are still legally known as Penzance and Newlyn RFC. And the fans of Penzance and Newlyn RFC backed it.

And in another sport,cricket the 20 overs team at Warwickshire CC are known as the Birmingham Bears.So rebranding and still being legally known as the founding name is nothing new.

But the fans did not approve and rejected it which led to the then chairman and the board walking.

Time and history will judge this one as to whether it was right or wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Yes the plan was to rebrand them as Manchester Lions but the club would still have been officially and legally known as Swinton Lions Rugby League club when it comes to company registration etc etc.It would have been done like what Eastern Suburbs in Sydney did when they rebranded as Sydney City Roosters back in the mid 90s(I think) and in rugby union when Penzance and Newlyn RFC rebranded as Cornish Pirates but as far as I know they are still legally known as Penzance and Newlyn RFC. And the fans of Penzance and Newlyn RFC backed it.

And in another sport,cricket the 20 overs team at Warwickshire CC are known as the Birmingham Bears.So rebranding and still being legally known as the founding name is nothing new.

But the fans did not approve and rejected it which led to the then chairman and the board walking.

So again it´s Sale and not Manchester. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I was for that move but only if the lions moved to the stadium were the Manchester rangers played out of.

changing the name of swinton lions to Manchester lions whilst still based in Salford was/is pointless unless you move lock, stock and barrel to Manchester permanently.