Tony Rea

I've now heard Tony Rea as the summariser on two York Knights games this year on OurLeague/Sportsman - for my money he is miles ahead of his counterparts on BBC and Sky. His comments and analysis genuinely add something to the broadcasts to my ears.

What do other folk think ?

He has always been a pleasure to listen to. He has insights that seem to evade others, despite them also having played the game. Having said that I prefer to hear him as a rare treat rather than for him to become homogenised by too much exposure to the corporate broadcasters.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I always thought he was OK, although I don't find his voice easy on the ear. A bit too whiney and downbeat for my liking. 

I don't think the benchmark should be 'better than Barrie andnTez', but unfortunately it is. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I always thought he was OK, although I don't find his voice easy on the ear. A bit too whiney and downbeat for my liking. 

I don't think the benchmark should be 'better than Barrie andnTez', but unfortunately it is. 

Agreed. He is knowledgeable and insightful but unfortunately his dreary tone does lead towards him sounding like he’s droning on. There are others that are better

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Agreed. He is knowledgeable and insightful but unfortunately his dreary tone does lead towards him sounding like he’s droning on. There are others that are better

I really prefer the BBCs approach of rotating guests and experts. Let's be honest, the ones there now don't say anything new, we can predict exactly what they are going to say. 

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Genuine question - who do you rate ? Got to say that his tone doesn't bother me at all.

21 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Genuine question - who do you rate ? Got to say that his tone doesn't bother me at all.

As a summariser, I would say Wilkin, Wells or Clarke. A lot don’t like Clarke, not sure why. Often less is more with summarisers, you don’t want someone wittering on (Wilkin can be prone to this at times). We’re certainly not blessed with good summarisers or commentators.

I’ve always found Kevin Brown and Danny McGuire quite insightful as pundits. I wonder if Brown would consider a future career in media when he retires from playing 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

I’ve always found Kevin Brown and Danny McGuire quite insightful as pundits. I wonder if Brown would consider a future career in media when he retires from playing 

Agree with you on Kevin Brown, from what I've heard from him on R5

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The trouble is, whoever you put on regularly, fans will moan about them.

I have always thought Tony Rea was great as a summariser. The Sporstman production surprised me with how good it was all round.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

55 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

As a summariser, I would say Wilkin, Wells or Clarke. A lot don’t like Clarke, not sure why. Often less is more with summarisers, you don’t want someone wittering on (Wilkin can be prone to this at times). We’re certainly not blessed with good summarisers or commentators.

If all we’ve got to hope for is Clarke, Wilkin or Wells, I despair. 

33 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I like him, he talks through a coaches perspective and talks about what the teams are aiming to do

Definitely still has his coaches' head on - when he was criticising the direction of York's misfiring attack against Toulouse, I was half-hoping that he'd slip a tracksuit on, appear as a water-carrier on the pitch, and have a word with our half-backs 😂😂

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I really prefer the BBCs approach of rotating guests and experts. Let's be honest, the ones there now don't say anything new, we can predict exactly what they are going to say. 

Do you mean like Jamie Peacock today saying that "Leeds will be looking for some good hormones"?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, RBKnight said:

I've now heard Tony Rea as the summariser on two York Knights games this year on OurLeague/Sportsman - for my money he is miles ahead of his counterparts on BBC and Sky. His comments and analysis genuinely add something to the broadcasts to my ears.

What do other folk think ?

I agree. Tony Rea is cool, calm and masterful. He is light years ahead of Barrie McDermott, Terry O’Connor, and Phil Clarke. The only Sky commentator who comes close is the Irish law school graduate Brian Carney.

Tony Rea is a breath of fresh air.

Tony Rea is, of course, an Australian.

34 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think he meant pheromones!

It was comical. Ticked me. I was surprised none of the others referred to it. Lol.

I think Rea is a good summariser. Elsewhere John Kear on the BBC is one of the better ones though can lapse on occasions. Rea has a nice turn on being on the dance floor when they get into the 20m area, it conjures up a view of where the action is.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Archived