Name Change

Just now, Mr Plow said:

Wasn’t the original idea of Super League that everything rugby league would be Super League. We had SL Europe, SL Australia, SL test series

Yep. If it wasn’t for the TV war down under both comps would be called Super League and we’d probably not be having this discussion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

The only hope for anything to work along these lines is for Super League and the NRL to combine and be called the NRL. Then you would perhaps get into the habit of calling full time professional club RL worldwide the NRL - like the NBA or NHL. Other than that, it has no merit. 

N means "National" , i.e. Australian for NRL, American for NFL or NBA....

The word "League" is used by all sports to refer to competitions levels ...

"Rugby" refers mostly to Union.

I prefer "LEAGBY" , it is a short combination , very close of "rugby" and means clearly "League".

Having listened,earlier this year,to a podcast involving Phil Caplan,it was pointed out that netBALL,BasketBALL,and FootBALL are all recognised as different sports by a public that has no real interest in any of the sports.

It is not the same with the 2 rugby codes which have rugby in their titles.

Super League is now a division in many sports.

LEAGUEBALL would be the title I would think is a preference over rugby league. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

If we were to want to have a word in the name then the word  League needs be one them. There currently seems to be some confusion about what the current word is,   is it one or two words... where are the capital letters ? 

Can the logo be improved?

But we are where we are, we broke away from the original rugby code.  It's our responsibility to create some sort if separate identity.

League Rules Football any one?

SuperLeague Rugby.

SUPERleague Football

superLEAGUE Football

There are a number of alternative words that mean Super, but why give away all the effort to have put into it over the years.

I think pretty soon, maybe 5-10 years, if someone says Super League the average person in England will think you are talking about Women's Football (Association).

What's wrong with "Rugby League". It's what the rest of the world uses.

... apart from France of course. Maybe we should use "Super Game of Thirteen" 🙂

So it is decided - we re-brand as Mighty Love God Rugby.

Right?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

So it is decided - we re-brand as Mighty Love God Rugby.

Right?

What about those of us who are don't have faith and have a more humanist approach to the world.

It would have to be Man Love Rugby.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

What about those of us who are don't have faith and have a more humanist approach to the world.

It would have to be Man Love Rugby.

Quite frankly if I was playing a sport with the phrase Man-Love in the title I would be doing some serious clenching everytime I was tackled to the ground and a couple of 18 stone blokes were laying on top of me or when I was playing the ball and another fella was stood very close behind me.

Still... wouldn't be the first time I've found myself in similar positions though... 😉

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

We don't want to know what you've been buying off the Internet during lockdown mate. 

He's been on Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Goop' website...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yep. If it wasn’t for the TV war down under both comps would be called Super League and we’d probably not be having this discussion

Super League doesn't strike me as the name of a sport though and doesn't differentiate between our sport and others. There are lots of Super Leagues around the world and ours wasn't even the first. It is like everything in Football being called Premier League. It just seems nonsensical to me to use that.

At the risk of repeating myself:

I suggested using RL in all media. It works for BP (formerly British Petroleum), BT (formerly British Telecommunications) and LG (formerly Lucky Goldstar).

Many people already call it RL. Any link-up with the NRL would be seamless nomenclature wise. We'd have the RL Championship, the RL Challenge Cup, the RL Grand Final... it just works... less is more.

On 11/04/2021 at 08:23, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's stuck in the mud thinking like yours that are holding the game back

If we did go for Jizball we could have 'Jizz of the week' or a 'length of the field Jizz' 

Looking forward to jizz night in the pub. 

17 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

I think pretty soon, maybe 5-10 years, if someone says Super League the average person in England will think you are talking about Women's Football (Association).

What's wrong with "Rugby League". It's what the rest of the world uses.

... apart from France of course. Maybe we should use "Super Game of Thirteen" 🙂

You think the Aussies use rugby league. 

When anyone asks me about the differences between Rugby League and rugger union, I reply that rugger union call themselves Rugby because they are too arrogant to admit there is any other code. Whereas, we call ourselves Rugby League so that no-one can confuse us with the kick n clap brigade, and tar us with the same brush. So NO, we must never change our code’s name and let the ba*****s from Twickers be the only rugby. And if they try to term us Super league, then we retaliate and call them Guinness premiership ( or whichever numpties are stupid enough to sponsor them). No surrender, ever!

20 hours ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

"Rugby" refers mostly to Union.

I prefer "LEAGBY" , it is a short combination , very close of "rugby" and means clearly "League".

That a great idea. If "Leagby" was going to be the short name everyone used, what about the full length 'official' title?

"Leagby Rug" perhaps? (A nod to our heritage in there....)

3 hours ago, bar red said:

RL 13,  Instantly recognisable and no other sports utilises the number 13, it is what makes the sport unique and a promotional dream.

this is the best suggestion yet. (although i still like Alphamax football, lol). 

24 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

That a great idea. If "Leagby" was going to be the short name everyone used, what about the full length 'official' title?

"Leagby Rug" perhaps? (A nod to our heritage in there....)

Hey it would look good on a ''welcome mat'' outside my front door.

Ha, ha that's the funniest thing I've ever heard a Scotsman say. 

4 hours ago, bar red said:

RL 13,  Instantly recognisable and no other sports utilises the number 13, it is what makes the sport unique and a promotional dream.

It may be the only sport that uses 13 players, but relatively few sports actually share numbers of players, IMO it's not particularly notable.

5 - Basketball

6- Hockey, Volleyball, Handball

7 - Rugby 7s, Water Polo, Netball, Handball

9 - Rugby 9s, Baseball

10- Lacrosse

11 - Soccer, American Football, Cricket, Field Hockey

12 - Canadian Football

13 - Rugby League

15 - Rugby Union, Gaelic Football, Hurling

18 - Australian Football

Despite the jokey thread here, I believe that this is important. RL has a problem that no other sport has, being confused with another sport. Is there another sport with this problem,  I can't think of one. 

Ice and Field Hockey have a shared titular word but no one confuses them , among the general public if they think anything about rugby it's Union until you explain carefully and then it's probably regarded as just a northern version of union. Even the highbrow quiz Only Connect once had a question that the correct connection was that League is a version of Union. Now " rugby " was named as that town had a pivotal part in the history of the original game. Now League has Huddersfield as a part of the formation,  George Hotel 1893, so how about " Huddy"

"Huddy football, "  "anyone fancy a game of Huddy," " Huddy World Cup "

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Despite the jokey thread here, I believe that this is important. RL has a problem that no other sport has, being confused with another sport. Is there another sport with this problem,  I can't think of one. 

Ice and Field Hockey have a shared titular word but no one confuses them , among the general public if they think anything about rugby it's Union until you explain carefully and then it's probably regarded as just a northern version of union. Even the highbrow quiz Only Connect once had a question that the correct connection was that League is a version of Union. Now " rugby " was named as that town had a pivotal part in the history of the original game. Now League has Huddersfield as a part of the formation,  George Hotel 1893, so how about " Huddy"

"Huddy football, "  "anyone fancy a game of Huddy," " Huddy World Cup "

You started well, but it's gone down hill after that.

Strictly, rugby did not start in a town it started in a school... so take it from there.

Archived