The Duke of Edinburgh's Award: Anyone done it?

Obviously inspired by recent news, but I was never offered the opportunity and probably wouldn't have done it anyway. It all sounded a bit too healthy-outdoorsy for my tastes. But I know people who did go for it and their very positive opinions on what the scheme gave to them.

So have any TRLers done a DoE? I'd love to hear some anecdotes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Obviously inspired by recent news, but I was never offered the opportunity and probably wouldn't have done it anyway. It all sounded a bit too healthy-outdoorsy for my tastes. But I know people who did go for it and their very positive opinions on what the scheme gave to them.

So have any TRLers done a DoE? I'd love to hear some anecdotes.

Did the Bonze award with Air cadets a few (25+) years ago.  Was fun, and fitted in with things we did anyway.  Wasn't offered at our school back then.  I believe schools are much more involved now.  

Lots of blisters and far far too heavy packs.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I was involved as an adult. I trained air cadets and kids with many either social or learning difficulties disadvantages.

I ended up as a Gold Assessor for candidates. It gave me some great experiences. As quoted elsewhere I had 3 meetings with Prince Phillip and one with Prince Edward

Name a hospital near a national park and I have been there!

The scheme has been brilliant and has been copied by countries around the world as a " Presidents Award" or similar.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

42 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

lugging 1/3rd of your body weight

We always thought that was a target to achieve rather than a maximum....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Did mine nearly 50 years ago. Passed silver. The gold one had an expedition 50 miles in rough terrain over 3 days. The weather was atrocious, and in this modern age he "hike" would have been cancelled. As the mist on the moors closed in we got a touch lost and finished up getting to the meet point around three hours late. Sadly we failed, and I never got the chance to re-do it.

Thinking back some of the activities were really dangerous, such as pot holing and the like.

Glad I did it all though!

1 hour ago, metallithrax said:

Bronze and Silver in the Air Cadets like others.

Good fun doing the hikes.

I got the pizz taken out of me when I joined the cadets.

But it was brilliant. I shot for the wing. Played rugby for the region. Did my D of E. Got my gliding wings. Did acrobatics in the chipmunk... which says how old I am. Went on marine craft from holyhead. Went to camps all over the place. These were experiences I still talk about.

Planning the d of e gold hike in the lakes was fun.... it proper knackered me but the craic and team bonding remains.

148 squadron. Barnsley.

On 11/04/2021 at 22:03, metallithrax said:

127 Wakefield.

Loved flying in the Chipmunk, did aerobatics as well.  Went gliding (never did my wings).  Loved going to Finningley for flying and shooting.

I did my gliding at RAF Newton. I was taught by F/L Johnson.... the same bloke who taught Prince Andrew. 

I suspect his in-flight dialogue with Prince Andrew was significantly better than it was with me.

If what we see and hear on the TV, radio etc., I think the late Duke of Edinburgh would have enjoyed your last remark.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

I only heard about this when I got into the army. Absolutely no knowledge of it at school and I even asked those I was at school with and most hadn't. Really annoyed me as it was something I'd have loved as a kid.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'd didn't hear about it until I was an adult either. When I lived on Dartmoor, we always knew when it was D of E weekend 🙂 Don't know anyone over the age of forty or so who has done it.

In recent years, we've had a constant stream of pleasant, polite, helpful teenage volunteers at cubs (and parkrun) doing their D of E volunteering stint.

Archived