Chris Chester horrible win record

I actually forgot Chris Chester was still coach at Wakefield. Saw his mug on the BBC and did a bit of digging back. Turns out he has lost something like 32 of his last 40 games since mid 2019.

That is pretty horrible but you rarely hear his name mentioned in terms of coaches under pressure for their jobs. That record is pretty shocking to say the least.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I always judge coaches relative to their budgets tbh. If he has a bottom two budget then he has done his job by finishing 2nd from bottom. 

His budget will be very similar to Daryll Powell's at Cas and what Ian Watson had at Salford.

Wakefield’s aim in 2020 should have been not finishing bottom. They achieved that. Alright, relegation was scrapped but even so, they did what they set out to do. Their fixtures post-lockdown weren’t kind either. They played Wigan (1st), Saints (2nd), Catalans (4th) and Leeds (5th) twice and also played Warrington, too. 

55 minutes ago, Scubby said:

His budget will be very similar to Daryll Powell's at Cas and what Ian Watson had at Salford.

Salford yeah but Cas are playing off a bigger budget. Not sticking up for CC, the team is going backwards. Team selection, recruitment & fitness, a lot of head scratching going on amongst long standing fans. He’s been lucky with his boss! 

Plenty of effort today but not enough to paper over the cracks.

9 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wakefield’s aim in 2020 should have been not finishing bottom. They achieved that. Alright, relegation was scrapped but even so, they did what they set out to do. Their fixtures post-lockdown weren’t kind either. They played Wigan (1st), Saints (2nd), Catalans (4th) and Leeds (5th) twice and also played Warrington, too. 

Isn’t that their aim every year,merely exist and pocket the Sky money whilst offering very little to the comp,

23 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Isn’t that their aim every year,merely exist and pocket the Sky money whilst offering very little to the comp,

Well.... I guess this will prompt a response from wakey fans.

I guess wakey will remain in SL until there are stronger incoming teams who will remove them from the competition. 

I do suspect that if wakey do drop out of SL they may find their future will mainly be spent down here in the sludge.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well.... I guess this will prompt a response from wakey fans.

I guess wakey will remain in SL until there are stronger incoming teams who will remove them from the competition. 

I do suspect that if wakey do drop out of SL they may find there future will mainly be spent down here in the sludge.

If this seasons incoming team had been given the time & funding that would have been a strong possibility.

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

This is one of the problems with the sky money distribution but thats a whole other argument. The fact is Wakefield, Hull Kr, and Salford from this season are there simply to make up the numbers. They would be easily interchangable with any number of Championship clubs and over time you would be left with the same result. Their whole existance revolves around trying to make sure no form of relegation exists and when it does making sure they finish 2nd from bottom while pocket their cushty little number in the form of the Sky money just to get by.

They are on borrowed time as SL clubs and Im glad now that we have a normalish promotion and relegation system that will allow ambitious Championship teams to makee the step up and at least have a crack at doing more than simply existing. I think those 3 teams above will survive this year simply because Leigh have been made sacrificial lambs and are massively out of their depth but I do feel they will be better prepared for it if they get another shot in a year or two. After this year though those 3 teams will be very nervous because whoever comes up won't just have a longterm ambition to just get by.

I should probably add I have no problem with any of those 3 clubs and they deserve to be where they are because they played by the rules of the system. Salford did look like they could kick on over the last couple of years but I feel it will be back to normal for them this year.

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

He's not the only coach that has had those obstacles to get round.

Agreed.But sometimes it depends on the positions played by those injured,and by the strengths in those positions,of the opposition.

Having a small squad certainly don't help.

It's easy to find fault.

Chris Chester has explained his mental anguish at the criticism he was given last year.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

Agreed.But sometimes it depends on the positions played by those injured,and by the strengths in those positions,of the opposition.

Having a small squad certainly don't help.

It's easy to find fault.

Chris Chester has explained his mental anguish at the criticism he was given last year.

Taking criticism is never pleasant in any of our lives.... but most of us have to take it. 

He will have had abuse.... which isn't criticism and people's critical opinions posted over social media, which is never easy but part of the job in the 21st century. 

All clubs have had key personnel injured at times. That's rugby.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I didn’t realise it was that bad. I think on the whole they play okay, just something not there to close out games. I could understand Chester being axed, but I wonder what a new coach would do differently there

You can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ar se mate.

Wakey are wakey. They play in a stadium who's shortcomings have been debated at length.

They aren't a rich club, neither do they have a huge fan base. Barring the odd season they've struggled more oft than not.

No incoming coach is likely to be able to significantly change that....and so wakey will continue to tow.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

You can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ar se mate.

Wakey are wakey. They play in a stadium who's shortcomings have been debated at length.

They aren't a rich club, neither do they have a huge fan base. Barring the odd season they've struggled more oft than not.

No incoming coach is likely to be able to significantly change that....and so wakey will continue to tow.

Exactly. I don’t think he’s doing a bad job, he just works in a results based environment and that ain’t going his way

32 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

If this seasons incoming team had been given the time & funding that would have been a strong possibility.

Time is the bigger issue , but that is and was the choice of the clubs offered the chance 

29 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

This is one of the problems with the sky money distribution but thats a whole other argument. The fact is Wakefield, Hull Kr, and Salford from this season are there simply to make up the numbers. They would be easily interchangable with any number of Championship clubs and over time you would be left with the same result. Their whole existance revolves around trying to make sure no form of relegation exists and when it does making sure they finish 2nd from bottom while pocket their cushty little number in the form of the Sky money just to get by.

They are on borrowed time as SL clubs and Im glad now that we have a normalish promotion and relegation system that will allow ambitious Championship teams to makee the step up and at least have a crack at doing more than simply existing. I think those 3 teams above will survive this year simply because Leigh have been made sacrificial lambs and are massively out of their depth but I do feel they will be better prepared for it if they get another shot in a year or two. After this year though those 3 teams will be very nervous because whoever comes up won't just have a longterm ambition to just get by.

I should probably add I have no problem with any of those 3 clubs and they deserve to be where they are because they played by the rules of the system. Salford did look like they could kick on over the last couple of years but I feel it will be back to normal for them this year.

Salford have reached 2 major finals in the last 2 seasons & even KR got to Wembley & have developed their ground,what have Wakefield accomplished.

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Salford have reached 2 major finals in the last 2 seasons & even KR got to Wembley & have developed their ground,what have Wakefield accomplished.

Not getting relegated , unlike HKR,CAS,Salford and Leigh 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Not getting relegated , unlike HKR,CAS,Salford 

Not getting relegated being the most positive aspect of the last 25 years isn't the most glowing review is it ?

Cas were relegated and finish top in 2017. I'd take that over not being relegated.... but thats just me

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Not getting relegated being the most positive aspect of the last 25 years isn't the most glowing review is it ?

Cas were relegated and finish top in 2017. I'd take that over not being relegated.... but thats just me

Well it’s twice as good as Leigh for instance 😜

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well it’s twice as good as Leigh for instance 😜

But that's the issue.... does just being marginally better than leigh bring owt to the comp?

Only when either leigh become much stronger or another club comes in with the resources at their disposal that are greater than wakey's, will wakey/kr/salford be forced out of the league.

Archived