Chris Chester horrible win record

Just now, Robin Evans said:

But that's the issue.... does just being marginally better than leigh bring owt to the comp?

Only when either leigh become much stronger or another club comes in with the resources at their disposal that are greater than wakey's, will wakey/kr/salford be forced out of the league.

There will always be winners & losers, good & bad.

For St Helens to have a decent competition, less repetition etc. You need a Wakefield

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I'd like to see Wakefield do well actually. But who or what can make it happen, who knows?

I remember my first trip to BV around 1999 or so. Being a naive RL enthusiast I thought most people in wakey would be as interested as I was. I was in a pub and there was football on TV (Leeds iirc) and the guys watching it were very animated. I got chatting with them and was surprised to find they didn't even know Wakefield T were playing, or care. Which at the time shocked me as WT are a famous old RL club and I assumed at the heart of the city.

Football is king in this country. I bet someone’s got the same story about a group of blokes in a St Helens pub watching Liverpool. 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I'd like to see Wakefield do well actually. But who or what can make it happen, who knows?

I remember my first trip to BV around 1999 or so. Being a naive RL enthusiast I thought most people in wakey would be as interested as I was. I was in a pub and there was football on TV (Leeds iirc) and the guys watching it were very animated. I got chatting with them and was surprised to find they didn't even know Wakefield T were playing, or care. Which at the time shocked me as WT are a famous old RL club and I assumed at the heart of the city.

My lad used to play for a wakey amateur club in the early/mid 90s.

From under 8s they had teams all ages all the way to open age.

Today there are a few lads, some playing in the year older group to make up a few teams. Numbers have significantly dropped off since that time.

Wakey don't do bad for crowds. But the club has struggled for as long as I've been watching rugby

its season after season deja vu with wakey- cobble together a squad that looks ok on the surface- hope for the best- there's always next season.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, Curly perm said:

Football is king in this country. I bet someone’s got the same story about a group of blokes in a St Helens pub watching Liverpool. 

Go into a pub in Leigh after a Leigh game on a Sunday , they'll be full of Utd,City,Pool fans watching the match , if Leigh have won its " yeah , but Batley,Rams,Fev,Swinton are sheeite " , if they've lost its " Leigh are sheeite " accompanied by " you'd have to pay me to watch that ###### " , even after the wins against Saints,Wire and Wigan last time it was " they must have had the reserves out " 

Nothing you can do with them , most have never been to OT,Emptyhad or Anfield , just free TV fans in the pub 

His win record is awful, whilst we're not going to trouble the top 5 this year the squad is decent enough to be doing better than what is being put on display week in week out. On a much higher scale, see what Holbrook did with Saints after taking over from Cunningham. Or more relative point, what Last did after taking over from Radford. 

On the second point roughly half the league are there to make numbers up, another championship club coming up at Trinity's expense would find themselves in the same situation. If they can stay in SL for 14 plus years when relegation was a factor then they will have done well. 

I am getting a bit fatigued with the ground hog day situation though and genuinely considering is it better to be one of the top championship teams (not a sure thing) or an also ran in SL who has the odd decent season. It seems like the ground is moving forward so we may have some better facilities to move with but it would be a shame if that happened we would not be in SL to see the benefit, but I guess that's how it goes.

Going back to Chester, if there is no change, and unless he walks there won't be, we are in real trouble.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Isn’t that their aim every year,merely exist and pocket the Sky money whilst offering very little to the comp,

But they do what they have to do on the pitch to remain in Super League, the fact that some of these lauded over, game saving, world dominating championship and L1 sides aren't able to be better than them,despite the constant tugging off over some clubs on here, isn't Wakey's fault.

2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

His win record is awful, whilst we're not going to trouble the top 5 this year the squad is decent enough to be doing better than what is being put on display week in week out. On a much higher scale, see what Holbrook did with Saints after taking over from Cunningham. Or more relative point, what Last did after taking over from Radford. 

On the second point roughly half the league are there to make numbers up, another championship club coming up at Trinity's expense would find themselves in the same situation. If they can stay in SL for 14 plus years when relegation was a factor then they will have done well. 

I am getting a bit fatigued with the ground hog day situation though and genuinely considering is it better to be one of the top championship teams (not a sure thing) or an also ran in SL who has the odd decent season. It seems like the ground is moving forward so we may have some better facilities to move with but it would be a shame if that happened we would not be in SL to see the benefit, but I guess that's how it goes.

Going back to Chester, if there is no change, and unless he walks there won't be, we are in real trouble.

The facilities thing is a false argument , it doesn't really make any difference , unless you are really lucky and end up in a Warrington situation 

3 minutes ago, meast said:

But they do what they have to do on the pitch to remain in Super League, the fact that some of these lauded over, game saving, world dominating championship and L1 sides aren't able to be better than them,despite the constant tugging off over some clubs on here, isn't Wakey's fault.

Well of course it isn't.

However, eventually a well resourced club will come into SL that offers more. When that does happen, wakey/kr/salford will be relegated.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The facilities thing is a false argument , it doesn't really make any difference , unless you are really lucky and end up in a Warrington situation 

Glad you mentioned that. They were extremely fortunate on how their ground was developed. Lots of other clubs lost control delivering what was meant to be SL standard facilities 

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I am sure they do. But they also have success and decent crowds as well. Wakey don't.

But to amplify the point, there is no pro football team in Wakefield.

There was a thread on this recently. No pro football team in Wakefield means nothing. It’s surrounded by football - Leeds, Barnsley, Huddersfield. Football is fed into households constantly, footballers are marketed etc etc. 

Wakefield don’t have the wealthy backers either. What’s being said in this thread is that the teams with limited resources don’t bring anything to the game and should all be gotten rid of. Surely it should’ve happened by now organically via relegation if those ‘ambitious’ championship sides were good enough to progress (or do they just become the limited resource super league teams and go straight back down?). 

Just now, Spidey said:

Glad you mentioned that. They were extremely fortunate on how their ground was developed. Lots of other clubs lost control delivering what was meant to be SL standard facilities 

The fact that only about 3 SL clubs have full control of decent facilities is one of the reasons the financial side of the sport hasn't grown , as in the Salary cap 

2 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

There was a thread on this recently. No pro football team in Wakefield means nothing. It’s surrounded by football - Leeds, Barnsley, Huddersfield. Football is fed into households constantly, footballers are marketed etc etc. 

Wakefield don’t have the wealthy backers either. What’s being said in this thread is that the teams with limited resources don’t bring anything to the game and should all be gotten rid of. Surely it should’ve happened by now organically via relegation if those ‘ambitious’ championship sides were good enough to progress (or do they just become the limited resource super league teams and go straight back down?). 

Correct 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The fact that only about 3 SL clubs have full control of decent facilities is one of the reasons the financial side of the sport hasn't grown , as in the Salary cap 

All of whom did it to maintain “minimum standards” I wonder how many would have done it differently with hindsight on their side

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

All of whom did it to maintain “minimum standards” I wonder how many would have done it differently with hindsight on their side

You saying it would have been Warrington's year much earlier? 😄 

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I don't think anybody really had a choice , the quality of our stadia was very poor from top to bottom , let's face it even Leeds have only now got a good facility 

Just now, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Reece Lynn, the England International?

bet james tedesco is at home right now doing his homework on how to stop such a quality centre  in the wc

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

bet james tedesco is at home right now doing his homework on how to stop such a quality centre  in the wc

Unfair , who is this Tedesco bloke , never heard of him ? , Genuinely

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't think anybody really had a choice , the quality of our stadia was very poor from top to bottom , let's face it even Leeds have only now got a good facility 

The carrot of SL forced a few - people get wound up with Wakey & Cas for instance as they just “promised” upgrades that never happened

I think it was right for everybody to upgrade

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well they could have stayed put and produced an annual artist’s impression 

Archived