Chris Chester horrible win record

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Indeed, but I am just wondering when playing an England International shows a lack of ambition.

it might just show a lack of quality in depth in the eng squad

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

42 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Well of course it isn't.

However, eventually a well resourced club will come into SL that offers more. When that does happen, wakey/kr/salford will be relegated.

Exactly, and that's how it should work, so why do people claim certain clubs are happy to take the SKY money while not "adding anything to the game" etc, it's up to stronger clubs to push the perceived weaker ones out, but as of the last 25 years, none of these so called, bigger, better, well resourced clubs have managed it.

Don't blame the so called weaker clubs, they are only playing the hands that have been put in front of them, blame the so called stronger clubs for not living up to expectations and not being able to realise reality/potential etc.

3 minutes ago, meast said:

Exactly, and that's how it should work, so why do people claim certain clubs are happy to take the SKY money while not "adding anything to the game" etc, it's up to stronger clubs to push the perceived weaker ones out, but as of the last 25 years, none of these so called, bigger, better, well resourced clubs have managed it.

Don't blame the so called weaker clubs, they are only playing the hands that ave  been put in front of them, blame the so called stronger clubs for not living up to expectations and not being able to realise reality/potential etc.

We haven’t had P&R for the last 25 yrs 

4 minutes ago, meast said:

Don't blame the so called weaker clubs, they are only playing the hands that ave  been put in front of them, blame the so called stronger clubs for not living up to expectations and not being able to realise reality/potential etc.

Fair point. However, this doesn't mean they have to put up with a coach that wins 8 games in last 40 though? Those that say other coaches couldn't do better with that squad are kidding themselves. Brian Smith walked into a  rank #### Hull team and took them straight to the top of the table - within a year. It can happen.

While I’m not saying the stadium is fit for purpose at wakey, to say no upgrades have been done and wakey have made no efforts is false.

from memory:

The boxes were added early in SL tenure or to prepare for SL tenure.

The roofing added to the north stand and part of west stand.

there have been I believe some work (though I believe enforced) on the ground from a health and safety perspective. Think these were foundation works but I honestly can’t remember.

now I’m not saying the ground is fit for purpose but with a limited budget and little success in the league Trinity have made some improvements and kept up with what I would assume to be a high cost maintenance schedule compared to other clubs in SL.

Added to this that I believe Wakefield have been penalised and received less money due to their stadium it’s a double edged sword. 

I really hope that this east stand, new pitch, new floodlights and parking facilities, cafe, gym gets approved and we finally have some modern facilities to enjoy. I certainly think it will make a big difference.

back to Chester though, I’m willing to give him a few more games but even myself who is a very positive wakey supporter is starting to see that a change isn’t far off being required. 

I actually think we need a clear out of players also as there are players that were good enough 2/3 years ago but are now no longer that standard.

Chesters record though despite the resources he has to work with isn’t pretty reading at all.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hull, Salford, Huddersfield, Hull KR, Leigh, Wakefield, Widnes and Castleford all gained promotion during Super League.  All bar Hull and Wkefield have suffered relegation.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, Davo5 said:

Really?

How did Hull FC, Wakefield, Leigh*, Salford*, Huddersfield*, Castleford*, London*, Widnes*, Hull KR*, get into SL and also *get relegated from SL then??

There has been plenty of chance for the likes of Leigh, Widnes, Halifax, London, Featherstone, Toronto, York, Toulouse or any other club to get into SL and get the weaker teams out, the fact that no one has managed to have achieved this, is not because there's been no P & R.

Wakefield always seem to be competitive. They don’t tend to get thrashed. They just don’t have the quality to win games consistently.

Chester’s days may well be numbered but it’s a struggle to see how a new coach would improve things significantly given their resources. 

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Hull, Salford, Huddersfield, Hull KR, Leigh, Wakefield, Widnes and Castleford all gained promotion during Super League.

Yes but we still haven’t had P&R in place during all those 25 yrs and Wakefield like Cas only kept their place during the licensing era due to false promises and the governing bodies lack of bottle 

2 minutes ago, meast said:

Really?

How did Hull FC, Wakefield, Leigh*, Salford*, Huddersfield*, Castleford*, London*, Widnes*, Hull KR*, get into SL and also *get relegated from SL then??

There has been plenty of chance for the likes of Leigh, Widnes, Halifax, London, Featherstone, Toronto, York, Toulouse or any other club to get into SL and get the weaker teams out, the fact that no one has managed to have achieved this, is not because there's been no P & R.

Well it was when fev topped the league 4 times on the bounce and won the GF.... 

I (think) meast means that since 96 p&r hasn't been in place all those years

Just now, Davo5 said:

Yes but we still haven’t had P&R in place during all those 25 yrs and Wakefield like Cas only kept their place during the licensing era due to false promises and the governing bodies lack of bottle 

"Yes but"  What does that mean other than I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. ? 😄  Log off mate and let go.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

8 minutes ago, meast said:

Really?

Yeah I’m pretty sure we had licensing for a number of those 25 yrs which was lopsided towards the incumbent Superleague clubs despite some being nowhere near meeting the criteria.

6 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

"Yes but"  What does that mean other than I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. ? 😄  Log off mate and let go.

It means during those 25 yrs we had licensing which kept some clubs,Wakefield included in Superleague at the expense of some Championship clubs despite getting nowhere near meeting the criteria,but yeah you keep pretending it didn’t happen.

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You seem to be arguing about something I haven’t said. 
I was just saying that *in my mind* at that particular point, I was expecting lots of people in Wakefield to be talking about, if not going to the RL match. I was surprised. Not saying get rid of Wakey.

The point about football is the same for every single team, the point was they should take advantage of the situation. Instead the support goes to Leeds United or whatever. 

Yes, the second part wasn’t a response to you, it was a general comment on the thread - I should’ve separated the comments. 

Re football. The support would go to Leeds Utd, Huddersfield, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd anyway because football totally dominates. It’s a global game; there’s no advantage for clubs that don’t have a club in the town/city. 

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It means during those 25 yrs we had licensing which kept some clubs,Wakefield included in Superleague at the expense of some Championship clubs despite getting nowhere near meeting the criteria,but yeah you keep pretending it didn’t happen.

6 years of licensing, so that's 19 years of promotion and relegation. 

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

This is one of the problems with the sky money distribution but thats a whole other argument. The fact is Wakefield, Hull Kr, and Salford from this season are there simply to make up the numbers. They would be easily interchangable with any number of Championship clubs and over time you would be left with the same result. Their whole existance revolves around trying to make sure no form of relegation exists and when it does making sure they finish 2nd from bottom while pocket their cushty little number in the form of the Sky money just to get by.

They are on borrowed time as SL clubs and Im glad now that we have a normalish promotion and relegation system that will allow ambitious Championship teams to makee the step up and at least have a crack at doing more than simply existing. I think those 3 teams above will survive this year simply because Leigh have been made sacrificial lambs and are massively out of their depth but I do feel they will be better prepared for it if they get another shot in a year or two. After this year though those 3 teams will be very nervous because whoever comes up won't just have a longterm ambition to just get by.

I should probably add I have no problem with any of those 3 clubs and they deserve to be where they are because they played by the rules of the system. Salford did look like they could kick on over the last couple of years but I feel it will be back to normal for them this year.

This is nonsense on stilts.  Leigh came up from the Championship and you expect them to go down.  But hey presto, some other Championship club can come up and wipe away Wakefield or Salford and with one bound they are free.  

The issue is that clubs need investment and they need it to find and develop players... and keep them!

19 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

6 years of licensing, so that's 19 years of promotion and relegation. 

Indeed, Wakefield have managed to successfully stay up for the majority of those 25 years on the field which is a great achievement. However, 32 losses out of the last 40 is a pretty amazing free pass to be given to Chester in a sport all built on results. The guy would struggle to inspire anyone - I'd even forgot he was still coach he is that beige.  

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Chris Chester has also suffered from a terrible injury record to his players,I believe,added to one or two suspensions.

For 3 years? come on, every club has had an injury crisis and suspensions, he hasn't had it any worse than any other club.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Chester had a 51% success rate at HKR versus his 41% at Wakey.  

Is the 10% the difference in the grounds?

His 41% includes a decent first couple of seasons, it has gone downhill fast since mid-2019.

When is Johnsons contract up. What is is transfer value?  Who is looking for a winger? Who has the money and has space in the Cap?

As for Chester, his stark record is questionable, there may be reasons.  But can Wakey afford to pay him off and where can they find and afford a replacement ... not least if they do get relegated?  And under those conditions, would a viable better alternative coach be willing to push this leaky boat out?

A number of clubs cannot get out from under. They have no investment. 

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

When is Johnsons contract up. What is is transfer value?  Who is looking for a winger? Who has the money and has space in the Cap?

As for Chester, his stark record is questionable, there may be reasons.  But can Wakey afford to pay him off and where can they find and afford a replacement ... not least if they do get relegated?  And under those conditions, would a viable better alternative coach be willing to push this leaky boat out?

A number of clubs cannot get out from under. They have no investment. 

They dont have to pay him off, just put him on permanent gardening leave till his contract expires. They have poaching and last who could step up in the meantime. 

While they are st it they should do the same with the head of conditioning, if there ever was a bloke pinching money it is him.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Well it was when fev topped the league 4 times on the bounce and won the GF.... 

I (think) meast means that since 96 p&r hasn't been in place all those years

Yes , but it has been in place more often than not, wakey spent 2 or 3 seasons in the lower league . They then won the grand final play off and got promoted. I forget who they played 

Archived