I admit that the passing of HRH brought this up but it's not about him because that would probably be political (and so locked). First thing that struck me was how famous people are not people they're treated almost like inanimate products attacked almost for just existing. Then there was the free pass for all sorts of questionable things, for the dead, by a legacy media that turns a blind eye to things so regularly it's a wonder they've seen anything worth reporting this century at least.

These two conflicting ideas manage to live side by side in a modern context as if they fit together perfectly.

So on the one hand I felt some sympathy for a few people who simply by being made famous were also a target but annoyed by the fact that being dead let others off the hook for stuff that they'd already got away with when they were living.

Isn't it 'dead famous people' rather than 'famous dead people'?

The latter implies that people have become famous because they have died rather than being a famous person who has subsequently died.

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Isn't it 'dead famous people' rather than 'famous dead people'?

The latter implies that people have become famous because they have died rather than being a famous person who has subsequently died.

That might just mean really famous people 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My head is beginning to ache from this dead thread.

"It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

On 16/04/2021 at 15:08, Spidey said:

That might just mean really famous people 😉

Well, it probably means that Dunbar should have put a comma after 'dead' (a pedant writes)

• Like 1