lack of personalities and characters in the modern game here

take the late 70s early 80s for example- steve "the bionic barrel" pitchford- huge character of the game without internet - sky - smartfones- to name just one-  eddie cunningham another

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's lost his spark somewhat recently but Fifita is a character. The 2018 and early 2019 version, the big bopper, eats pies scores tries version, the one who gave it to the Cas fans when he scored but then had to take some back when they replied shortly after, the guy who took on the Wigan wingers, swatting them out of his way as he set up a play straight from a kick off. More often then not you get the negative side od a maverick,  such as the ridiculousness od last season where he refused to wear a GPS. With more coaches looking for percentages, the mavericks are losing out to the reliable but dull professional.

5 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

He's lost his spark somewhat recently but Fifita is a character. The 2018 and early 2019 version, the big bopper, eats pies scores tries version, the one who gave it to the Cas fans when he scored but then had to take some back when they replied shortly after, the guy who took on the Wigan wingers, swatting them out of his way as he set up a play straight from a kick off. More often then not you get the negative side od a maverick,  such as the ridiculousness od last season where he refused to wear a GPS. With more coaches looking for percentages, the mavericks are losing out to the reliable but dull professional.

He might regain some of that spark if the new signing happens 

Up the Trin 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

did john bentley, paul newlove or kurt sorenson  have a "platform?"

Paul Newlove is one of the most boring men ever to play the sport (one of the best too).

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Every single post on this thread:

Rugby League, like everything else in life, was the best when I was 16 to 25.

Absolutely. Apparently it was always better a generation or two ago. There are some magnificent players playing the game today. Some great characters too.

4 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Don't worry; when Super League 2021 starts, we'll see the usual off-season "why oh why oh why oh" stories about no more characters, re-naming the sport, bringing back the Roses games, going back to some other idea that didn't work etc., fade away.

When does the season start, anyway? Must be soon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Not mine, to be fair. Rugby League was objectively better before I was born.

I'm not taking the blame though.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

he may be determined and spirited in himself as a player but he doesn't have the sporting celeb factor that say jamie lyon had

I thought this thread was about characters in the game. Jamie Lyon was a fantastic player but I didn't have him tagged as one of the games great personalities. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

27 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Paul Newlove is one of the most boring men ever to play the sport (one of the best too).

I thought that when I saw his name too. I was still pretty young when he was in his prime, but I don't remember him being particularly charismatic or entertaining. Fantastic on the field, but pretty unremarkable off it.

Why do we need new players, everyone knows Rugby League attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the game used to be full to bursting with great players who also came across as great characters to love and hate in equal measure- endearing themselves to the fans - hanley- edwards- offiah -andy gregory sean long- the paul brothers- phil ford- harvey howard- barrie mac -sculthorpe -vainakolo -lowes- newton- morley- i could go on and on and on and on for hours and hours- watching the leeds team yesterday it was instantly forgettable 

most teams seem to consist of jordan bland - josh boring - jack humdrum - joe dull- tom drab - etc etc 

all with lovely coiffured stubble and undistinguishable amounts of pre school scribble on their arms and no doubt glowing instagram accounts but as interesting as tarmac 

I don’t think your allowed to be a character these days .

1 hour ago, langpark said:

I thought Anthony Gelling was great and should have gotten more time on the mic.

He was an average player though, and never sure why everyone got excited about him being a bit of a berk on social media.

Bit like the love for Wayne Godwin really.

The ' Characters ' you speak of , were usually the dirtiest thugs to play the game , hard as nails , but dirty as hell , they wouldn't get away with the scrutiny we see with modern technology 

Oo aa , Timmy Street , I said oo aa Timmy Street 😉

How was Hanley more of a character than Sam Tomkins. A strange thing to say, we don't have characters.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

take the late 70s early 80s for example- steve "the bionic barrel" pitchford- huge character of the game without internet - sky - smartfones- to name just one-  eddie cunningham another

There used to be a poster on here called Bionic Barrel.  You don't get the characters like him and Bedlam Breakout posting anymore do you Johnny?😉

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Archived