RUGBY LEAGUE IN THE OLYMPICS

1 hour ago, MZH said:

I've have thought before that I'd like to see the SL or NRL put forward an Independents team of rugby league players just to make a mockery of RU at the 7s tournament.

Not that they would ever get accepted of course, but it'd be fun to watch.

The Middlesex sevens at Twickenham got disrupted the times Wigan and Bill's entered.... I watched the Bulls one... Very funny

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The Middlesex sevens at Twickenham got disrupted the times Wigan and Bill's entered.... I watched the Bulls one... Very funny

I thought the Bradford one showed the massive gulf between the sports at the time. They were so dominant the RU sides were going backwards when they had the ball. 

7 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I'd love to see an Olympics with athletes being able to take performance enhancing drugs..... they'd smash the current records... 

I`ve been saying that for 30 years, let them take whatever they want, It would be a freak show but christ it would be entertaining.

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I’m not sure this is the right move for RL but there is absolutely no doubt that countries prioritise minority sports that are in the olympics. I’m sure it would open up lots of new funding all around the world. 

Funding apart, it would make gaining official government recognition for RL in new territories so much easier, which has often been a problem for the sport.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Funding apart, it would make gaining official government recognition for RL in new territories so much easier, which has often been a problem for the sport.

So apart from the funding the recognition and the extra exposure don’t forget that what would getting in the olympics do for RL. 

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Rugby league is not a sport recognised by the IOC. Nor is any governing body recognised by the IOC.

Rugby league is not a sport recognised by the GAISF. Nor is any governing body recognised by the GAISF.

Unless and until anyone addresses that then rugby league in the Olympics is a fantasy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I thought the Bradford one showed the massive gulf between the sports at the time. They were so dominant the RU sides were going backwards when they had the ball. 

Didn’t Bradford come off the back of playing a Super League game the same weekend?

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Rugby league is not a sport recognised by the IOC. Nor is any governing body recognised by the IOC.

Rugby league is not a sport recognised by the GAISF. Nor is any governing body recognised by the GAISF.

Unless and until anyone addresses that then rugby league in the Olympics is a fantasy.

Yes mate, of course. Hopefully he'll get into it.

Just now, fighting irish said:

Yes mate, of course. Hopefully he'll get into it.

Odd not to have mentioned what the real steps are.

Or cover that it was tried before and failed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Didn’t Bradford come off the back of playing a Super League game the same weekend?

Got battered by Saints the night before then I think their coach broke down on the way so only got there in the early hours. 

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Odd not to have mentioned what the real steps are.

Or cover that it was tried before and failed.

I think the ''failure'' came with a to-do list in order to get recognition/membership. One of the criteria was that we had to be recognised in 40 odd countries (can't remember the details), hence the push needed into the America's, Middle East and Africa

4 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I think the ''failure'' came with a to-do list in order to get recognition/membership. One of the criteria was that we had to be recognised in 40 odd countries (can't remember the details), hence the push needed into the America's, Middle East and Africa

It also coincided with the wreckers of World Rugby League coming into existence.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It also coincided with the wreckers of World Rugby League coming into existence.

I'm sure that WRL is part of a Dark Side conspiracy, to keep us out.

Scuppering our claim to be the global governing body is part of the plan.

We are making progress though Ging', in spite of the bast....ds.

Ironically, (if its true) maintaining a credible counter-claim means that they have to encourage more people to play RL!

Which is a bit of a shot in the foot.  

What's the latest from the WRL anyway? 

6 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What's the latest from the WRL anyway? 

I'd suggest reading their website but I just have and I'm none the wiser.

Rugby League is played overwhelmingly in Commonwealth countries, yet is not even in the Commonwealth Games. 

Would that not be a far more realistic target than the Olympics, where every sport in the world wants to gain Olympic access/recognition? 

I would say that without being part of the Comm Games, Rugby League's chances of Olympic inclusion are literally zero. 

At this stage, the Olympics is head-in-the-clouds stuff.

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Got battered by Saints the night before then I think their coach broke down on the way so only got there in the early hours. 

Yeah coaching is a tough gig, I`m surprised we don`t hear more of that sort of thing.

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

What would it do though, do you think people would take RL up because it’s in the Olympics? Great if they would, I just can’t see it. 

I think you are being incredibly naïve here.

To many countries, the Olympics IS sport. If governing bodies are not affiliated to the national Olympic committee, they get zero funding. As soon as they are classed as 'Olympic' sports, they become eligible for govt funding. This is the case all over the world. The majority of the developing Rugby League countries would get a huge boost from this.

That is before we get to the media exposure. Global media focused on the Olympics for that 1 month period. Rugby League struggles to get media coverage in the north of England at the moment.

That is before we get to the athletes taking up the sport because it provides an Olympic pathway. (Or choosing to stay in the sport for that reason... SBW).

That is before the marketing opportunities it provides governing bodies, through their social networks, promotional channels etc.

Olympic participation would be an absolute game-changer for Rugby League. Thinking otherwise is just nonsense.

As I said above, every sport in the world wants to be involved for all of those reasons. This is why it will almost certainly not happen.

42 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I think you are being incredibly naïve here.

To many countries, the Olympics IS sport. If governing bodies are not affiliated to the national Olympic committee, they get zero funding. As soon as they are classed as 'Olympic' sports, they become eligible for govt funding. This is the case all over the world. The majority of the developing Rugby League countries would get a huge boost from this.

That is before we get to the media exposure. Global media focused on the Olympics for that 1 month period. Rugby League struggles to get media coverage in the north of England at the moment.

That is before we get to the athletes taking up the sport because it provides an Olympic pathway. (Or choosing to stay in the sport for that reason... SBW).

That is before the marketing opportunities it provides governing bodies, through their social networks, promotional channels etc.

Olympic participation would be an absolute game-changer for Rugby League. Thinking otherwise is just nonsense.

As I said above, every sport in the world wants to be involved for all of those reasons. This is why it will almost certainly not happen.

So which non RL countries would suddenly undertake a big RL development programme because 9s was in the Olympics do you think? 

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure about 9s. Think I’d rather see touch football as an Olympic sport. 

Good to read that the IRL is in “deep work with the French government” (whatever that means).

Its the whatever that means) that worries me. If its still at discussion stage, then we are miles behind the game for a major event. ###### Covid and the American defection,, the 2025 hosts should have been known and a Working Group formed long ago.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

So which non RL countries would suddenly undertake a big RL development programme because 9s was in the Olympics do you think? 

How do you think Union Sevens got so big so fast?

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

By there being loads of competitions, including a World Cup. 

The Olympics is a major carrot that, especially in big countries, can direct significant funding towards a sport. Equally, a reduced format like 7s enables weaker sides to compete much more evenly with established nations - so investment can see quicker returns. For the likes of the USA, Russia, China etc, who often see Olympic success as a form of national validation, it is very important.

The risk is that 7s is prioritised over 15s, though that risk is massively lower in League given the greater similarity between 9s and 13s.

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

By there being loads of competitions, including a World Cup. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don't even know if that's a serious question. You are so wide of the mark with your assessment that it is not even worth arguing with.

You obviously have very little understanding of how the majority of countries view sports and the importance of Olympic participation. I know of nations where rugby union was basically treated the same as Gaelic football or cricket, (a curiosity for foreigners) and then when the Olympics came along, they immediately began to receive subsidies, kit deals etc.

I can't be be bothered explaining any more, because trying to convert your opinion over something that probably will never happen anyway, is a waste of time.

If you are interested though, here is an article from TotalRL's very own League Publications Limited on the subject of Olympic participation by our rival code:

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/26119/the-positive-impact-of-the-rio-olympics-on-rugby/

By governments investing big money in the game. Rugby League had Russia before Union pulled that off and it killed it practically. Union Seven is now big in the USA, mega dollars there. Brazil girls were not started until then. Olympic Golds are Bread and Circus to a government.

Archived