RUGBY LEAGUE IN THE OLYMPICS

1 minute ago, bird said:

By governments investing big money in the game. Rugby League had Russia before Union pulled that off and it killed it practically. 

Indeed: Russia is a perfect example. 

Their women played the Kiwis in the RL World Cup, and about a year later, when union got into the Olympics, their federation told them en masse that they (the women players) would now all be playing union sevens. Women's Rugby League has never returned.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I don't even know if that's a serious question. You are so wide of the mark with your assessment that it is not even worth arguing with.

You obviously have very little understanding of how the majority of countries view sports and the importance of Olympic participation. I know of nations where rugby union was basically treated the same as Gaelic football or cricket, (a curiosity for foreigners) and then when the Olympics came along, they immediately began to receive subsidies, kit deals etc.

I can't be be bothered explaining any more, because trying to convert your opinion over something that probably will never happen anyway, is a waste of time.

If you are interested though, here is an article from TotalRL's very own League Publications Limited on the subject of Olympic participation by our rival code:

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/26119/the-positive-impact-of-the-rio-olympics-on-rugby/

Blimey, I’ll leave it with you then. 

1 hour ago, bird said:

How do you think Union Sevens got so big so fast?

Is it because the IRB (as was) set up and ran a regular worldwide series of events beginning in 1999-2000 (featuring 36 teams in year one) - based on already existing and established but unconnected events - as part of a planned and well-resourced strategic globalisation of the game of which the attempt to get into the Olympics was part?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

It’s ok, International Rugby League is on the Observer status list…you’ll find it between Padel and Table Soccer.

Got it, thanks. Just ahead of the International Jump Rope Union.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And seeing that recognition by the sports authority is required in most countries to book fields, get insurance and receive any grants, Olympic recognition would be huge. Especially when many countries have a sports authority that is also the olympic authority.  

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Pulga said:

With Brisbane hosting the 2032 Olympics will we see Nines as a exhibition sport?

Well Troy Grant has already started the pitch, so at least we are trying to get in early for once

https://www.intrl.sport/news/international-rugby-league-congratulates-brisbane2032/?fbclid=IwAR02SQBsb_y1z5GWfwKH39MF2vMcH3RZtLFgSEx4912MxhjwR0UZ_pow3W0

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

13 hours ago, Pulga said:

With Brisbane hosting the 2032 Olympics will we see Nines as a exhibition sport?

Not if people in RL persist with bamboozling shoot-yourself-in-the-foot terminology.

Lots of RL 9s events are promoted as "Rugby 9s". There is no chance of the IOC embracing something called Rugby 9s when they already have something called Rugby 7s.

It`s like asking them to include a second Soccer event with 13 players on a team.

18 hours ago, Pulga said:

To be fair, it would be eminently possible if the will is there.

Look at a couple of the new sports introduced for Tokyo. Baseball and Karate clearly have specific appeal in Japan that makes their inclusion for Tokyo more likely to be part of a more long term strategy.

Hopefully given it is an Australian (and Queensland) Olympics will mean that there is the political will there to push things forward. 

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Subbuteo will be in the Olympics before Rugby League. 

There would be more merit to that, as it would regards RU, and golf, and pretty much every other sport that shouldn’t be in an Olympics. Basketball in the Olympics is understandable as they don’t have a World Cup (of any note), thus the Olympics is their biggest national team event. 

The Olympics is for sports where it is the ultimate stage. Messi won an Olympic gold with Argentina, yet he had been seen (by most) as having won nothing at international level, until the Copa America two weeks ago.

I have no idea who won the RU at the Olympics (I’ll guess NZ). What I do remember was the sparse crowds in tiny stadiums, and these games would only be shown in RU hotbeds. Only about three or four sports are shown by every nation (Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics the big three), the rest the coverage is based on regional interest. 

Add all this into the decline of the Olympics from what it was, being in it is not this enormous opportunity for growth that some are suggesting.

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

There would be more merit to that, as it would regards RU, and golf, and pretty much every other sport that shouldn’t be in an Olympics. Basketball in the Olympics is understandable as they don’t have a World Cup (of any note), thus the Olympics is their biggest national team event. 

The Olympics is for sports where it is the ultimate stage. Messi won an Olympic gold with Argentina, yet he had been seen (by most) as having won nothing at international level, until the Copa America two weeks ago.

I have no idea who won the RU at the Olympics (I’ll guess NZ). What I do remember was the sparse crowds in tiny stadiums, and these games would only be shown in RU hotbeds. Only about three or four sports are shown by every nation (Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics the big three), the rest the coverage is based on regional interest. 

Add all this into the decline of the Olympics from what it was, being in it is not this enormous opportunity for growth that some are suggesting.

Agreed, the Olympics is a political behemoth and not much more, I couldn’t care less if RL is in it or not. 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

To be fair, it would be eminently possible if the will is there.

Look at a couple of the new sports introduced for Tokyo. Baseball and Karate clearly have specific appeal in Japan that makes their inclusion for Tokyo more likely to be part of a more long term strategy.

Hopefully given it is an Australian (and Queensland) Olympics will mean that there is the political will there to push things forward. 

Baseball/softball is a reintroduction to be fair.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Subbuteo will be in the Olympics before Rugby League. 

A lot of sports will be because they are ahead of rugby league in the list.

Also a lot of sports will be because they have joined up international bodies who control the game.

Only the NRL could run a story about aiming for the Olympics on the day they pull out of the RLWC:

Rugby League could feature at the 2032 Olympic Games in Brisbane, with discussions having already been held with the Queensland Government about the inclusion of the code’s Nines and wheelchair formats.

Brisbane was awarded the 2032 Games on Wednesday night in Tokyo, but officials have been working for some time to have rugby league recognised as an Olympic sport in anticipation of the Queensland Government’s bid being successful.

NRL 2021: League's bid for inclusion at Brisbane Olympics - NRL

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Only the NRL could run a story about aiming for the Olympics on the day they pull out of the RLWC:

Rugby League could feature at the 2032 Olympic Games in Brisbane, with discussions having already been held with the Queensland Government about the inclusion of the code’s Nines and wheelchair formats.

Brisbane was awarded the 2032 Games on Wednesday night in Tokyo, but officials have been working for some time to have rugby league recognised as an Olympic sport in anticipation of the Queensland Government’s bid being successful.

NRL 2021: League's bid for inclusion at Brisbane Olympics - NRL

Don't worry. Someone will tell them that it might involve a commitment to participating in Olympics that aren't held in Australia and they will give up.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Yeah but I'm pretty sure being an Olympics in Japan wasn't unhelpful to that reintroduction or its timing.

It was a lot more long-winded a process than you might imagine.

Either way, there are plenty of sports ahead of rugby league in any imaginary list of possibles.

Just now, gingerjon said:

It was a lot more long-winded a process than you might imagine.

Either way, there are plenty of sports ahead of rugby league in any imaginary list of possibles.

I'm sure it was very extensive as a process.

My point was that a bit of political will behind a project is always helpful too - and the point was an observer status sport too.

Archived