RUGBY LEAGUE IN THE OLYMPICS

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

RL 9s would be perfect for the Commonwealth Games, why did they not continue pursuing that? Next year will be another CG, so will there be another event? If they want the Olympics, they need to start putting down groundwork and join regional games. There are a few sports in the Olympics that don't have a huge global footprint, however they are in regional events. 

I'm no expert on Sevens, but why were Korea in it and not France? Especially as France would've been a lot more competitive, given Korea were hammered. 

There are regional qualifiers to assure each continent is represented. Korea won the Asian qualifier while France did not make it through Europe. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone has already said this.... but, if the NRL get rugby league into the Olympics that means international players can only play for country e.g. tedesco must choose either Italy or Australia, and not its current model of first tier and second tier international system. (Which would in theory hurt AUSTRALIA, NZ and State of Origin

22 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Not sure if anyone has already said this.... but, if the NRL get rugby league into the Olympics that means international players can only play for country e.g. tedesco must choose either Italy or Australia, and not its current model of first tier and second tier international system. (Which would in theory hurt AUSTRALIA, NZ and State of Origin

It's an absolute joke to think that Rugby League will ever become an Olympic sport in any form, and what are the Aussies going to do when the Olympics generally falls into their NRL season ask for the Olympics to be moved to later in the year LOL. It's not going to happen it's just more hot air from the Aussies

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

The Olympics are usually ok with competitors switching nations. It may take slightly longer than it does in RL though. 

19 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The Olympics are usually ok with competitors switching nations. 

The IOC tend - I believe - to go along with whatever the governing body's rules are.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Would the NRL claim to be the governing body though over IRL?

It is, to quote Joey Tribiani, a moo point.

We're not going to be in the Olympics outside of a possible - note possible - one off appearance in Brisbane in eleven years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It is, to quote Joey Tribiani, a moo point.

We're not going to be in the Olympics outside of a possible - note possible - one off appearance in Brisbane in eleven years.

It's a total joke that Rugby league wants to become an Olympic sport if were honest, when certain Rugby League playing countries don't want to take part in the RLWC.

It's not going to happen even as a one off. The Olympic committee be rolling around around on the floor with laughter even if we apply.

Interesting the BBC reporter was saying yesterday that 7s is unsustainable in its current form, and also funding has been cut for GB as well, as UK Sport want the RFU to fund it themselves. Even with the prestige of the Olympics, it doesn't seem to have helped. 

I think RL would be better building a 9s circuit and entering regional championships like Commonwealth Games and European Games etc. 

2 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Interesting the BBC reporter was saying yesterday that 7s is unsustainable in its current form, and also funding has been cut for GB as well, as UK Sport want the RFU to fund it themselves. Even with the prestige of the Olympics, it doesn't seem to have helped. 

I think RL would be better building a 9s circuit and entering regional championships like Commonwealth Games and European Games etc. 

If the commonwealth games is happening at the same time as the NRLseason, Aussies will do all the can to wreck that as well

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

If the commonwealth games is happening at the same time as the NRLseason, Aussies will do all the can to wreck that as well

No cause the RL Commonwealth 9s were for u23s only. Although, I remember Australia didn't take it seriously and sent the Roosters youth team instead.... which included a Kiwi! 

Just now, londonrlfan said:

No cause the RL Commonwealth 9s were for u23s only. Although, I remember Australia didn't take it seriously and sent the Roosters youth team instead.... which included a Kiwi! 

Typical Aussies.Zero interest in even expanding the game in Australia let alone at international level

10 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Typical Aussies.Zero interest in even expanding the game in Australia let alone at international level

Mehhh.... The so called diehard fans from England made no attempt to support it either. I was at the competition at Broadwood (it was actually U19 if I remember right) but there was virtually no supporters up from "the heartlands" to show backing for the event. It was good fun too.... PNG won it, and Scotland beat England. 

Slag off the Aussies all you want, but how many people off this board made the short drive from Workington or wherever? Virtually none. 

15 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

Interesting the BBC reporter was saying yesterday that 7s is unsustainable in its current form

I think that's a parochial British attitude because Scotland, Wales and England have now all severely cut (or completely eradicated) their funding of their own 7s programmes because the unions have been leaking money for years and covid made it worse.

Archived